[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Renter's Rights in Pennsylvania

Footballjoe

Can the owner of a property (landlord) begin repairs / renovations of a unit while the current tenant is still occupying the property? If so, what hours are considered reasonable to do this? Any lawyers out there?

I'm neither an attorney nor a resident of Pennsylvania, but I would assume that it is permitted, after reasonable notice was given. As for permitted hours, I would suspect that's on a city-by-city basis. Some cities allow for construction as early as 7am to as late as 7pm. Whether that is "reasonable" is up for debate, of course.

When I lived in an apartment in SoCal, there was an under-construction high-rise down the street which began at 7am every day but Sunday. I was awakened to the sound of a pile driver pounding over and over for about 4 months, which drove me absolutely insane.

I'd contact the jurisdiction in question for permitted construction hours.

Can the owner of a property (landlord) begin repairs / renovations of a unit while the current tenant is still occupying the property? If so, what hours are considered reasonable to do this? Any lawyers out there?

I believe that most standard contracts call for 24 hrs notice if you are going to enter the residence. YOu do have the right while tenants are in you dwelling, usually, to perform maintenance and repairs. If I were you I would probably do the work on the weekdays between the hours of 9 and 5 so as to inconvenience them as little as possible. Write them a letter explaining what you are gonna be doing.

Not an attorney and not a landlord in PA.....but while I think you may do repairs on a unit with the proper notice to existing tenants, major interior renovations you may have to save until they move out and eat the month you can't rent. :wacko:

The last apt complex we lived in was recarpeting all units as they became available. They gave us a choice. We could move to a unit with new carpeting (at an increase in rent) or stay in our current unit with old carpeting. Having our current unit carpeted while we lived in it was not an option.

What kind of repairs/reno are you wanting to do, FBJ?

Not an attorney and not a landlord in PA.....but while I think you may do repairs on a unit with the proper notice to existing tenants, major interior renovations you may have to save until they move out and eat the month you can't rent. :wacko:

The last apt complex we lived in was recarpeting all units as they became available. They gave us a choice. We could move to a unit with new carpeting (at an increase in rent) or stay in our current unit with old carpeting. Having our current unit carpeted while we lived in it was not an option.

What kind of repairs/reno are you wanting to do, FBJ?

This is a house my daughter is renting in Pittsburgh. She and 5 others rented it while in college. Three of the students have left and the rest will be gone at the end of the month. The new owner of the property has been coming over and began doing plumbing work in the basement, stroring stuff in the house and doing a few other things. I think he is overstepping his rights and I wanted to talk to him and put a "straighting" on him. My daughter says leave it be since she will be moving out at the end of the month. For now I have backed off. I guess the dad in me wants to protect his daughter.

I did suggest to her to mention to the owner that if he wants her out sooner to move her stuff to the new apartment 2 blocks away.

This is a house my daughter is renting in Pittsburgh. She and 5 others rented it while in college. Three of the students have left and the rest will be gone at the end of the month. The new owner of the property has been coming over and began doing plumbing work in the basement, stroring stuff in the house and doing a few other things. I think he is overstepping his rights and I wanted to talk to him and put a "straighting" on him. My daughter says leave it be since she will be moving out at the end of the month. For now I have backed off. I guess the dad in me wants to protect his daughter.

I did suggest to her to mention to the owner that if he wants her out sooner to move her stuff to the new apartment 2 blocks away.

If it were my daughters I'd be tempted to do the same thing. If she's really not bothered by it, hell, it's only 2.5 more weeks. :wacko:

If it were my daughters I'd be tempted to do the same thing. If she's really not bothered by it, hell, it's only 2.5 more weeks. :tup:

Yep, I took a chill pill. She knows if she needs me to get crazy i will. I am usually a pretty mello guy but will get crazy if need be. makes me thing of this problem she was having from the school library last year. They were charging her for books she had already returned and the library acknowlegde they had the books but still would not remove the charges ($200). After fighting with them a short time she finally got frustrated and said. "OK, I will let my dad handle it. And believe me you do NOT want my dad to come here." :tup: I guess the look on her face was very conviencing. :wacko:

Yep, I took a chill pill. She knows if she needs me to get crazy i will. I am usually a pretty mello guy but will get crazy if need be. makes me thing of this problem she was having from the school library last year. They were charging her for books she had already returned and the library acknowlegde they had the books but still would not remove the charges ($200). After fighting with them a short time she finally got frustrated and said. "OK, I will let my dad handle it. And believe me you do NOT want my dad to come here." :tup: I guess the look on her face was very conviencing. :wacko:

Nice to know you still have a little bit of power and influence left. :tup:

:wacko: Skippy

:wacko: Skippy

Skippy is certainly a valid explanation for the need for plumbing repairs.