[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Biting your lip

whomper

Man, a-holes like that should have to work as a waffle house waiter. for a couple weeks. They need to realize the poor shmuck serving them didn't make the policy, he's just following it because it's his job if he doesn't. And the poor guy is damn sure not gonna lose his job for someone who abuses him.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, a-holes like that should have to work as a waffle house waiter. for a couple weeks. They need to realize the poor shmuck serving them didn't make the policy, he's just following it because it's his job if he doesn't. And the poor guy is damn sure not gonna lose his job for someone who abuses him.

This is NY/NJ. We do have an inordinate amount of self important jack wagons up here who think the the world revolves around them.

For this prick it was early in the night so I cant blame it on the booze with him but for others, as you guys alluded to, dealing with the drunk public can either be fun or a nightmare. You can see the transformation over the course of the night. They go normal to very happy or normal to nasty. Our entire staff is taking the TIPS course next month which is a safety course about alcohol awareness. There is a fun and social part about bartending as well as a sad part when you see the people that are so dependant on it. People trying to get drinks after last call is pure entertainment for anyone to watch except for the bartender. One of the bartenders was offered a BJ for booze from a girl that was at her prom . We have been offered everything from crumpled up singles to hundreds of dollars for drinks after last call.

Edited by whomper

Lost in this thread is the fact that your Manager totally backed you up 100% when faced with a very vocal and demanding customer. That is really fricken cool, and you should make sure that he knows how much you appreciate that!

Lost in this thread is the fact that your Manager totally backed you up 100% when faced with a very vocal and demanding customer. That is really fricken cool, and you should make sure that he knows how much you appreciate that!

I agree. We have bartenders meetings a few times a year at this place and they go over exactly how they want us to handle these things. I followed protocol and he did a great job backing me up.

We had a no shot rule at our wedding and I always tip at least a dollar a drink at an open bar wedding. You're a cheap skate if you don't, it would cost you 4 times as much if you had to actually pay for your drinks. $10 - $20 for the night isn't going to kill you.

ETA: I have been to some weddings where tipping isn't allowed but there's usually a tip jar to let you know that there is.

Exactly. Because that way when you ask for 30 shots later on, the homo behind the bar actually gives them to you.

Edited by yo mama

How often do you have to restrain yourself in the workplace before you grab someones neck and strangle them mercilessly ? I see it a lot in my main job and often in the bartending job. A lot of it depends on how people handle themselves. Some people are just unreasonable Can't buy me loves that fly off the handle the second there is adversity. Some people are smug condescending d bags .

Case in point. As you guys know , I bartend on weekends at a banquet facility. I have to say, this place is absolutely beautiful and we offer a top shelf variety for people to chose from. 99.9% of the time it is open bar. People obviously order at an open bar more freely and with much less caution and monetary discretion as they would if they were paying for each drink. I understand the theory that they are giving a gift to the bride and groom so in essence there is some monetary lay out but I dont put 100 % full stock into that theory.

We see a lot of guys that I call "the shot warriors". These are guys that round up as many people as humanly possible to do shots many many times throughout the evening. I do not have a problem with this. God bless em i say. Its open bar. The people paying for this party lay out a very pretty penny so go for yours. As a bartender , I do think it is somewhat common courtesy to throw the guy setting up, mixing and pouring 15 shots to you a little something but if you dont I still pour it with a smile and go about my business . that really isnt the jist of this post anyway. So here comes the story after 1 last important tidbit to the story about our house policy. Our bar and the area that people dine and dance in are in 2 separate rooms. When it comes to shots, we have a policy that it must be done at the bar. A shot is a concentrated straight shot of alcohol to your head and for safety we like to look at the people doing them to make sure they arent too hammered to handle it. This rarely causes an issue and I dont think that was the issue with the forthcoming story. So here we go. This customer came up to the bar with 4 other guys and keep in mind our place is very . Yes sir, no sir customer comes first extremely aim to please oriented

Customer: I need 30 shots of Patron silver

Me: No Problem sir. We just require that the people doing the shots are present at the bar

Customer: Just pour the shots and dont worry about who is present at the bar

Me: Sir, I would be happy to pour you as many shots as you want but I can only pour them for the amount of people that are standing in front of me and ready to do them

Customer: Is this an open bar or is this not an open bar :getting loud: Pour the shots now

Me: Sir, yes it is an open bar but we still have house rules we need to abide by . There are 5 of you in front of. Why dont we get started with 5 for you guys and if you would like more I would be happy to back you up with more shots

Customer: Why dont you either pour me 30 shots or I either get the groom or your boss here to make sure that you do

at this point I want to reach into his chest and pull his heart out and make him watch me hold his beating heart in my hand while I bang his mom in the ass as his life slips away but i say "no problem sir, I will get the bar manager"

So I get the manager who takes a lot of pride in what we offer our guests. He is frugal though, and rightfully so, as far as us wasting alcohol. Our liquor distributer handles almost all the banquet facilities in our region and this guy tells us that nobody offers the full range of what we offer" So the manger comes over and i explain the situation and he backs me 100 % but does so very professionally

He said exactly what I said. He said , I could back up the people in front of me with as many shots as they want, as long as they arent too intoxicated. The monster truck aficionado still got a little lippy even with the manager and the manager delivered a sweet line when the kid threw out his "is this an open bar or not " line

The manager said yes sir we are offering an open bar but there is a difference between us being an open bar and a liquor store. Still trying to keep things professional and keep the guests having fun I once again offered the 5 shots when the manager walked away. the guys did the 5 and came back a few times later in the night and did more adhering to policy and of course not leaving a penny everytime they did it.

Sounds like a episode of The Real Housewives of New Jersey . . .:wacko: