[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hardesty signed

loaf

4 year deal

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have agreed to terms on a four-year deal for second-round running back Montario Hardesty, a league source told the Plain Dealer.

Share Terms were not immediately available. That leaves only two unsigned Browns draft picks, first-rounder Joe Haden and second-rounder T.J. Ward. Rookies reported Friday but the first full-squad practice is not until Saturday.

Can someone tell me why this is one of the top "sleeper" picks, such that he probably isn't even a sleeper ie can't get him as cheaply as you'd expect for a 6th round pick who likely will be at best 1b to Harrison's 1a?

well, some think he won't be 1b for long...it's always the same....early round draft pick going to unseat the incumbent. Only this isn't Addai, It's Jerome Harrison...

and this just in:

Q: Hey, Tony: You wrote in your article (July 18) that Montario Hardesty -- a rookie who never played an NFL down -- will start ahead of Jerome Harrison. I don't see how that is possible given Harrison's late surge last year. I think this sends a lack of confidence message to Harrison and veteran players. -- Harry Eighmy, Erie, Pa.

A: Hey, Harry: I shouldn't be surprised at the volume of response in regards to this position battle, but I am. Harrison had three terrific games at the end of last season. At that point, the coaches were committed to running the ball because they had no confidence in the passing game. That doesn't detract from what Harrison accomplished, but helps to explain it. Nobody in the organization expects Harrison to do that over 16 games. Now, what's the biggest change since Harrison's surge? The addition of Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert. Heckert was the person who drafted Brian Westbrook for the Eagles. He considers Westbrook his favorite draft pick because he overachieved from what people expected of him. Heckert also saw Westbrook wear down -- over a season and over a career -- because of his undeniable physical limitations. Heckert drafted Hardesty as a feature back. He and the coaches expect him to fill that role. As for any messages sent or received by the rest of the team, it should be this: Just win.

Edited by loaf

like him a lot in a keeper. a team typically doesn't trade up for someone unless they really like him and plan to use him. if they thought of harrison as the lead back, there's no way they would have done this. he's also gotten rave reviews in training camp. this could be coachspeak, but still worth noting. now i could see him being eased into the system and harrison will probably still get carries and is not a bad player, so in a re-draft , my expectations would be more cautious.

Harrison put up huge numbers at the end of a season that the Browns had nothing to lose, and they also had no ammo in a much-deflated pass attack.

The guy had two games of 30+ carries, wasn't exactly destroying elite run defenses.

Cleveland drafted Hardesty because Harrison has given them mixed signals for as long as he's been in the league that he might be have what it takes to be an every down feature back.

Is he the best running back in Cleveland? Maybe, but it's not without a doubt.

On the flip side, Hardesty isn't in my top five if we're talkin about pure talent out of all the 2010 rookie tailbacks.

And, in case everyone missed it, this is still the BROWNS.

I don't have ANYONE on that team that has enough value to be drafted before round eight in standard league drafts.

Yeah CLE being pathetic (esp no pass game) is a killer, and while Harrison might not be "the man," he is IMO at worst 1b if Hardesty beats him out of camp. Either will be lucky to crack 1000 IMO and probably only just, and even then for similar reasons (no pass game, taking what the D gives them etc).

Harrison put up huge numbers at the end of a season that the Browns had nothing to lose, and they also had no ammo in a much-deflated pass attack.

The guy had two games of 30+ carries, wasn't exactly destroying elite run defenses.

Cleveland drafted Hardesty because Harrison has given them mixed signals for as long as he's been in the league that he might be have what it takes to be an every down feature back.

Is he the best running back in Cleveland? Maybe, but it's not without a doubt.

On the flip side, Hardesty isn't in my top five if we're talkin about pure talent out of all the 2010 rookie tailbacks.

And, in case everyone missed it, this is still the BROWNS.

I don't have ANYONE on that team that has enough value to be drafted before round eight in standard league drafts.

I dafted Hardesty after Ben tate in a dynasty because I like him better. Tate was overvalued in my opinion at the time.

Top 5 rookie RB's?

Who are you top 5? Matthews, Spiller, Best should be there but who else? If he's not 5 who is?

For me he is 4.

This thread reminds me of how DeAngelo Williams was viewed coming into the league. People speculated that he'd beat out DeShaun Foster to start. The only difference I can see is the presence of an existing system / coach in Carolina vs. the new regime in Cleveland. John Fox was loyal to a fault with Foster. And even though Mangini is still there, I can't see the leash being quite as long with Harrison. But it's reason enough to be skeptical about Hardesty's prospects for 2010.

Harrison had 5 games of fantasy relevance last year, and they were as follows:

Week 4 vs CIN - 29 carries 121 yds / 5 catches 33 yds

Week 13 @ SD - 10 carries 35 yds / 7 catches 62 yds 2 rec tds

Week 15 @ KC - 34 carries 286 yds 3 rushing tds / 2 catches 12 yds

Week 16 vs OAK - 39 carries 148 yds 1 rushing td / no receptions

Week 17 vs JAC - 33 carries 127 yds 1 rushing td / 2 catches 20 yds

It should also be noted that for whatever reason, Chris Jennings received the bulk of the carries in a heavy rainstorm vs PIT and went for 73 rushing yds and a td. Harrison never could get it going in that game, and the field conditions were much more conducive for the larger Jennings to get take the bulk of the carries.

All that being said, they'd be crazy to try to use Harrison that much over the course of a full season. I don't think Harrison is going to be a world beater, but I do think that he'll be a good spot starter when he plays against weaker opponents.

I know that last year's big performances weren't against top flight defenses (although they weren't against total slouches either), but doesn't Cleveland have a pretty good, young offensive line that is capable of opening up some holes for these guys? I haven't seen the Huddle's annual O-Line review yet, but I am looking forward to seeing what they say about this unit. There's a lot to be said for the upside potential of RBs that are running through holes the size of a Buick.

This thread reminds me of how DeAngelo Williams was viewed coming into the league. People speculated that he'd beat out DeShaun Foster to start. The only difference I can see is the presence of an existing system / coach in Carolina vs. the new regime in Cleveland. John Fox was loyal to a fault with Foster. And even though Mangini is still there, I can't see the leash being quite as long with Harrison. But it's reason enough to be skeptical about Hardesty's prospects for 2010.

I think it's a completely different type of situation. Completely different kinds of backs.

Weren't we also calling James Davis a sleeper at this time last season? How'd that work out for everyone...?

TC has not even begun. Color me skeptical for not getting excited about this kid now...

And James Davis is relevant to Hardesty why? Because they play on the same team?

Holmgren has never hid the fact that her prefers pounding backs that can wear defenses down, especially in the 4th quarter (Bennett, Levens, Alexander). He also seemed to not let the speedsters on the field much (Green, Morris). I think he would like to give Hardesty every possible opportunity to take the job and the bulk of the carries.

uh because they both are/were considered sleeper RB picks for CLE maybe?

This guy's knees are Namath-like from what I hear. A very end of draft pick selection at most IMO.

James Davis was a late round pick. Hardesty was a second rounder. You don't draft a back in the second round to ride the pine.

uh because they both are/were considered sleeper RB picks for CLE maybe?

This guy's knees are Namath-like from what I hear. A very end of draft pick selection at most IMO.

i got that. Just don't see how James Davis not panning out has anything at all with whether or not Hardesty succeeds.

And James Davis is relevant to Hardesty why? Because they play on the same team?

In fantasy terms I remember taking a flyer on Davis somewhere in round 10 last year (not sure what his true ADP was). Hardesy is going much higher right now and I agree 100% it's a risky business spending a 6th rounder on a "1b" situation in Cleveland of all places.

Everyone knows the potential fantasy bonanza a rookie RB can bring, but this year is quite a crapshoot after Matthews. I can see Hardesy's ADP rising because, frankly, Best, Spiller, Tate and the gang are locked in timeshares or their teams are terrible. When my first draft hits in a couple of weeks I'll try to let you know how severely I think people are overpaying for these guys.

In fantasy terms I remember taking a flyer on Davis somewhere in round 10 last year (not sure what his true ADP was). Hardesy is going much higher right now and I agree 100% it's a risky business spending a 6th rounder on a "1b" situation in Cleveland of all places.

Everyone knows the potential fantasy bonanza a rookie RB can bring, but this year is quite a crapshoot after Matthews. I can see Hardesy's ADP rising because, frankly, Best, Spiller, Tate and the gang are locked in timeshares or their teams are terrible. When my first draft hits in a couple of weeks I'll try to let you know how severely I think people are overpaying for these guys.

Hardesty was injured Saturday and is out at least 2 weeks. He twisted his knee. Mangini is telling everyone it isn't the knee he injured before. But 2 weeks is a long time to miss. From my experience, most rookies take awhile to return after these minor injuries. Harrison could be a good fit for the first half of the season if he can stay healthy.

As for Davis last year, he was slated to be a "sleeper" too. But, he was injured during camp as well. Wasn't it a car accident and his shoulder? I can't remember. Either way, a lot of people were big on him coming to NFL last year as a late round flyer.

As for Davis last year, he was slated to be a "sleeper" too. But, he was injured during camp as well. Wasn't it a car accident and his shoulder? I can't remember. Either way, a lot of people were big on him coming to NFL last year as a late round flyer.

He got blindsided in practice and the resulting shoulder injury put him on IR. Jamal Lewis must be putting a hex on these guys.

Harrison had 5 games of fantasy relevance last year, and they were as follows:

Week 4 vs CIN - 29 carries 121 yds / 5 catches 33 yds

Week 13 @ SD - 10 carries 35 yds / 7 catches 62 yds 2 rec tds

Week 15 @ KC - 34 carries 286 yds 3 rushing tds / 2 catches 12 yds

Week 16 vs OAK - 39 carries 148 yds 1 rushing td / no receptions

Week 17 vs JAC - 33 carries 127 yds 1 rushing td / 2 catches 20 yds

It should also be noted that for whatever reason, Chris Jennings received the bulk of the carries in a heavy rainstorm vs PIT and went for 73 rushing yds and a td. Harrison never could get it going in that game, and the field conditions were much more conducive for the larger Jennings to get take the bulk of the carries.

All that being said, they'd be crazy to try to use Harrison that much over the course of a full season. I don't think Harrison is going to be a world beater, but I do think that he'll be a good spot starter when he plays against weaker opponents.

I know that last year's big performances weren't against top flight defenses (although they weren't against total slouches either), but doesn't Cleveland have a pretty good, young offensive line that is capable of opening up some holes for these guys? I haven't seen the Huddle's annual O-Line review yet, but I am looking forward to seeing what they say about this unit. There's a lot to be said for the upside potential of RBs that are running through holes the size of a Buick.

the Oline article gave them a B for run block and a C+ overall

• 2 weeks later...

Davis #2. Hardesty better be prepared to fight and remain healthy...

James Davis (RotoWire) Davis is listed as the No. 2 running back on the Browns' first depth chart released on Tuesday, the Canton Repository reports. Analysis: He will likely fall to No. 3 once rookie Montario Hardesty returns from a knee injury, but the Browns' coaching staff was high on Davis heading into the 2009 season before he got hurt. Look for him to get plenty of opportunities throughout the preseason and if he capitalizes he could be a nice sleeper with injury concerns surrounding Hardesty.