[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I get a Paycheck in the Mail...

The Wolf

My company is located out of state and I am working from home. Paychecks are mailed to me. I get one today, one week early, that is dated for a pay period 6 weeks ago. Note that I looked thru my old paystubs and this pay period was already compensated.

Would you call HR to inquire or say nothing? Note that I am leaving the company at the end of this week and begin with a new company on Monday.

What Would YOU Do...?

Edited by The Wolf

Check with HR. Maybe they owed you a back check or something. If they confirm that, cash that bitch. If they say it was sent in error then tear it up.

Check with HR. Maybe they owed you a back check or something. If they confirm that, cash that bitch. If they say it was sent in error then tear it up.

Just saw your edit. I would check with payroll and see if a mistake was made. You say it was compensated but maybe its a check they owed you that they just listed an incorrect pay period or something

If you are asking if I would cash it knowing I was compensated already for it and it was sent in error my answer is no. That brings on the bad juju.

Just saw your edit. I would check with payroll and see if a mistake was made. You say it was compensated but maybe its a check they owed you that they just listed an incorrect pay period or something

If you are asking if I would cash it knowing I was compensated already for it and it was sent in error my answer is no. That brings on the bad juju.

You're right...don't know why I even asked. I figured out what it is: a statement I never received. Funds were direct deposited in June but I never got the pay stub sent to me.

This. Otherwise it's stealing.

:wacko: I think stealing is a bit strong in this case. His employer sent him a check. Is it his obligation to verify the exact reason for the check, or is it his employer's? If he KNEW that the check was issued in error, and then cashed it, then I think you could call it stealing.

If he KNEW that the check was issued in error, and then cashed it, then I think you could call it stealing.
If it was for the current pay period or just a check and not specifically for a pay period (like it was a correction for a previous shorting) then I would agree. But just the fact that it was from a pay period 6 weeks previous that he double checked and had already been paid for should send up all sorts of red flags that it might have been in error. It may not be stealing until the company asked for it back, but that's almost like shoplifting but thinking it's ok until the store catches you. Either way it would be wrong. A simple call would save a lot of issues down the road.

:wacko: I think stealing is a bit strong in this case. His employer sent him a check. Is it his obligation to verify the exact reason for the check, or is it his employer's? If he KNEW that the check was issued in error, and then cashed it, then I think you could call it stealing.

Employers issue thousands of checks and can't be expected to individually verify each one beyond making sure the payroll system is working as it should. It is an honest person's responsibility to inquire about possible problems like this, same as it would be the employee's responsibility to inquire if he was shorted for some reason.

Any other action will come back and haunt you.

I don't know. My boss has screwed up some of my commission checks before. I'm sure if I didn't bring it to his attention, it'd just be added to that hugh vault he swims in his money in at the end of the year. Of course I work for small sales companies and most of the bosses aren't above finding some way to fudge a number or two when it benefits them.