[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB Jamaal Charles

DMD

Jamaal Charles  

218 members have voted

1. 1. What round would you look to get Charles in a 12 team league?

• First round for the stud boy
    • Second round - really good but too much risk for earlier
    • Third round - I'll take him if he falls this far
    • Fourth round (AKA never) Jones kills his value to me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at this point this may be window dressing for the Chiefs. Show Thomas Jones the respect befitting a veteran RB, because you brought him in to be a good locker room pro.

I don't know... I realize that coaches sometimes play these pre-season games with the depth charts, sometimes to send a message, maybe in this case to show some respect to a vet, but its tough to assume that you can count on the coach to change back to the player that you prefer before it all starts counting for real.

I don't know... I realize that coaches sometimes play these pre-season games with the depth charts, sometimes to send a message, maybe in this case to show some respect to a vet, but its tough to assume that you can count on the coach to change back to the player that you prefer before it all starts counting for real.

this will definitely be a RBBC and they'll likely go with the hot hand...

my money's on JC to perform like a solid RB2 in PPR's, but wouldn't hesitate to trade him after week 4 or 5 if he goes off...

Jones started tonight and got a few carries on the first series and did nothing. Charles then came in and had some plays reminiscent of last year. Some good long gains and hit the hole quick.

McCluster lined up in the backfield and got a lot of looks tonight. He lined up in the slot also.

Jones started tonight and got a few carries on the first series and did nothing. Charles then came in and had some plays reminiscent of last year. Some good long gains and hit the hole quick.

McCluster lined up in the backfield and got a lot of looks tonight. He lined up in the slot also.

KC Coaches are loving this situation.

per sportsline

News: Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles is coming off a strong performance during Friday's preseason opener against the Falcons despite not starting. Charles rushed for 37 yards on four carries, catching two passes for six yards. However, coach Todd Haley said on Monday that Charles' role is “still to be determined.” Thomas Jones remains listed as No. 1 on the depth chart despite Charles rushing for 1,120 yards in 2009. “Jamaal is a developing player,” Haley told the Kansas City Star. “Jamaal is a player that, last year at times in that development, had good days, bad days and in-between days like a lot of other guys. That is part of the development, and that is part of becoming a dependable player on a daily basis.”

Analysis: Haley has said Charles has had a good camp despite being unable to workout in the offseason due to shoulder surgery. Still, Charles could be in a complementary role to Jones when the season starts. “They both understand what’s going on,” Haley said. “It’s a good situation.” Jones might be old, but it's not like he is over the hill. He is coming off a season in which he rushed for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns. He seems to be getting better with age. It's just upsetting to hear Haley talk this way since Charles' career is on the upswing. To add even more confusion to the mix, the Chiefs added another wrinkle to the offense this offseason by drafting Dexter McCluster, who is a do-it-all player. We still have a good feeling that Charles could emerge as the Chiefs' best back by season's end, so feel confident drafting him as a low-end No. 1/high-end No. 2 Fantasy RB. Maybe these words are a motivational tactic by Haley.

Gary Brown.

For you whippersnappers and/or those who don't remember, Brown was a RB for Houston who cracked 1000 yds in only half a season back when...people were pissing their pants about how he would tear it up the next year. 2000 yds coming up! Why not? He got 1000 in half a season!

He promptly fell off a cliff after that. (I think he had one more decent year...about 5 yrs later)

Since then I've called those 1 hit wonders (or candidates ie someone who tears it up for a short period of time and is hyped for the next year) the "Gary Brown Syndrome" and while I understand the temptation I won't draft a guy very high based on half a season ish and see Jones spelling him a lot, possibly even taking over. I don't think they brought Jones in to hang out "just in case."

Just blew my mind. I feel dumb for not remembering the one hit wonder problem

Don't forget about his kick return duties, those of you in leagues that score individual return yards. I'm in a league that score 1 point per 15 return yards (and is PPR), crazy I know. Charles should not last past the second round in that draft, in fact, I'll see to it he doesn't. I figure, if Jones does eat into his workload more than expected, at least he'll still be touching the ball in that aspect.

Don't forget about his kick return duties, those of you in leagues that score individual return yards. I'm in a league that score 1 point per 15 return yards (and is PPR), crazy I know. Charles should not last past the second round in that draft, in fact, I'll see to it he doesn't. I figure, if Jones does eat into his workload more than expected, at least he'll still be touching the ball in that aspect.

Snowball's chance if you ask me...

How many teams have their #1 RB also returning punts and kicks?

I think that more than anything predicts a reduced workload in a 50/50 split . .. especially when McCluster could be returning kicks and punts

Just sayin . .

McCluster is there but I wouldn't count on him getting much in the way of return opportunities either since they also have Javier Arenas who, if you didn't see in preseason game 1, handled all return duties including a 41yd kick return and 100yd TD return that was called back due to a holding call. Can't imagine it'll be on anywhere outside of KC but I'll be at the game tonight and will be happy to provide any pertinent info regarding Charles or McCluster returning kicks.

McCluster is there but I wouldn't count on him getting much in the way of return opportunities either since they also have Javier Arenas who, if you didn't see in preseason game 1, handled all return duties including a 41yd kick return and 100yd TD return that was called back due to a holding call. Can't imagine it'll be on anywhere outside of KC but I'll be at the game tonight and will be happy to provide any pertinent info regarding Charles or McCluster returning kicks.

Great info . . thanks!

If Charles is really off all return duties, than it looks like he really WILL be used more as a RB than a return guy.

It is always good to get some local flavor from those that get the local preseason games! Thanks! :wacko:

one point that I haven't seen brought up is that just because TJ would start, doesn't mean he will get more touches....

if Charles catches the ball 5x a game on average, I don't care what he does...a RB that has 5 catches usually gets a big one and in my local,. this is very valuable - it makes up for not getting a TD so when he gets one, he'll put up monster numbers...

Arenas got all starter kick/punt return opportunities. Returnred one kick 54 yds. All other returns, later in the game, were by a guy I've never heard of. I would not count on Charles getting any return opportunities.

Charles and Jones had equal touches and Charles almost doubled Jones output. In person, Charles is clearly the more dynamic player.

Edited by BS Miscreant

McCluster is there but I wouldn't count on him getting much in the way of return opportunities either since they also have Javier Arenas who, if you didn't see in preseason game 1, handled all return duties including a 41yd kick return and 100yd TD return that was called back due to a phantomholding call. Can't imagine it'll be on anywhere outside of KC but I'll be at the game tonight and will be happy to provide any pertinent info regarding Charles or McCluster returning kicks.

fixed, I did not see any hold on that play, bs call

Arenas got all starter kick/punt return opportunities. Returnred one kick 54 yds. All other returns, later in the game, were by a guy I've never heard of. I would not count on Charles getting any return opportunities.

Charles and Jones had equal touches and Charles almost doubled Jones output. In person, Charles is clearly the more dynamic player.

Jones also started the game and was put back in even after he fumbled. Sure seemed like a vote of confidence for Jones. Charles didn't get into the game until they ran a screen pass. My leagues are either .5 ppr or non ppr so his catches don't equal as much value to me I guess. Cassel seemed to throw quite a bit when they got into the red zone and the ball was fairly spread around to the receivers. I didn't see Mcluster line up in the backfield but they did use him on an end around (for -2 yards). KC was also playing Tampa (whose starting QB went out early due to a thumb injury) so I'm not convinced they're defense can keep them in a game until I see it. Charles is the talent, but he could be more of a Leon Washington and on a worse team. I'm sure JC won't fall to me... just trying to give some perspective from a guy that isn't in love with the value of his ADP. Hope he works out for you guys who spend an early pick on him.

Agree with the return assessment. It looks like Javier Arenas will be your primary kick returner.

You all can't say that getting him in the 4th is impossible... As I did with the 7th pick of the 4th:)

if you're drafting with Huddlers, he'll go in the 2nd or 3rd....otherwise he's a 4th round pick if you take him but he could probably be had later if you really wanted to be cute about it...

Well I actually did take him in the fourth...So I voted 4, even though Thomas doesn't ruin his value for me, as I'm trusting him to be my rb1...But who need rbs when you have Rodgers, Randy Moss, and Miles Austin?

6 man league with the JV bush leagers. Whoopti do.