[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moving sucks

BeeR

I remember moving a friend one time to an apartment in hoboken. He was on the 6th floor with no elevator. The most brutal move of all time

:lol::tup::tup::wacko:

Tell me about it. Moved July 11, the other house still isn't completely cleaned out. Two mortgages and two sets of utility bills sucks too. Not moving anything else til the wife gets all the stuff we already moved put up. And until then we live like paupers.

:wacko: Bunch of wimps. Try, over a 18 year period, moving a wife and two kids every 18 months to 2 years with just 30 days to do it all. And.... we ain't talking the same town or even state. Sometimes not even the same country. By the 2nd move you have become a pro and moving is nothing.

But then again maybe I am being unfair. Never spent more that 2 years in any one place my whole life until I retired up here so moving was just a way of life.

:wacko: Bunch of wimps. Try, over a 18 year period, moving a wife and two kids every 18 months to 2 years with just 30 days to do it all. And.... we ain't talking the same town or even state. Sometimes not even the same country. By the 2nd move you have become a pro and moving is nothing.

But then again maybe I am being unfair. Never spent more that 2 years in any one place my whole life until I retired up here so moving was just a way of life.

This looks like a bitch . The flip side though is , and tell me if im wrong, did the frequency in which you moved help you live lean ? By living lean I mean not accumulate a ton of stuff that had to go from place to place. My brother moved a few years ago from his house that he was in for 15 years. He threw out tons and tons of stuff that was accumulated. he said it felt great to just unload all that useless stuff that they didnt use and that didnt carry any sentimental value

Agree with the bolded...I wasn't military and didn't move as much as you but I have moved my fair share of times as well as helping others...after the first couple it really isn't all that bad....my specialty was always getting twice as much in the truck than anyone thought would fit....the proverbial fitting 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag....just like putting a puzzle together

"Every 2 yrs" even beats my avg but I am/was military too so don't cry on my shoulder. :tup: fn blows. And while moving a family means more stuff, it also means built-in helpers and someone to biatch about it with. Doing most of this myself. On plus side got rid of a lot of my stuff beforehand in prep for "upgrades" - ah when I have money again.

This looks like a bitch . The flip side though is , and tell me if im wrong, did the frequency in which you moved help you live lean ? By living lean I mean not accumulate a ton of stuff that had to go from place to place. My brother moved a few years ago from his house that he was in for 15 years. He threw out tons and tons of stuff that was accumulated. he said it felt great to just unload all that useless stuff that they didnt use and that didnt carry any sentimental value

I think we did okay for stuff. We always came in under the max weight limit set by the Navy but sometimes it was close. The only leanness was probably in the appliance area... sold before we moved and bought when we got to where we were going.

....my specialty was always getting twice as much in the truck than anyone thought would fit....the proverbial fitting 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag....just like putting a puzzle together

It is an art to be sure. :wacko:

"Every 2 yrs" even beats my avg but I am/was military too so don't cry on my shoulder. :tup: fn blows. And while moving a family means more stuff, it also means built-in helpers and someone to biatch about it with. Doing most of this myself. On plus side got rid of a lot of my stuff beforehand in prep for "upgrades" - ah when I have money again.

:wacko: Oh I wasn't crying. By the time I got to the military I was so used to moving that it really wasn't a big deal. As far as family helping... well, they have to get older to be of any use other than to be in the way. :tup:

Doing it yourself can be a bummer though. You have to have someone to tell to get out of your way at least. :lol:

Been there, done that......

Wife and I got so efficient that within 48 hours, the house was completely setup, pictures hung, dishes washed and in cabinets, everything was done.

Wife and I got so efficient that within 48 hours, the house was completely setup, pictures hung, dishes washed and in cabinets, everything was done.

F' that...I have no problem packing it up and moving it....and it is done in a manner that would allow for ease of unpacking but hel1 no....I have to live out of the boxes for at least 2-3 months

Sounds about right. No need, unlike Keg, to stretch things out. :wacko:

Doing it yourself can be a bummer though. You have to have someone to tell to get out of your way at least. :wacko:

fn a. Moving big/heavy stuff you thought you could move yourself isn't exactly a treat either. :dumbarse:

I worked for a moving company during the summer when I was in college. That job will help to keep anybody in school. Moving sucks for everybody. The military actually does a lot of the moving for you service members. We always had crates that we would unpack for the Air Force people at Offutt. Everything was brown wrapped and had a sticker so they would just check things off as you unloaded. Most lived fairly sparse from moving so often (a lot of wicker furniture, etc.). Anyway, just plug away and do what you can. Find friends, buy beer, and make sure you put the beer at the new house instead of at the house you are moving from.