[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question for Panthers homers:

Lloyd Dobler

One of my leagues is an auction/ keeper format, and I am considering drafting J. Stewart, in hopes that: 1.) I can get him (relatively) on the cheap, and 2.) D. Williams will have moved on to another team come 2011. Williams is in the final year of his rookie contract, and will be 28 years old at the start of next season. I am sure the Panthers would prefer to keep him, but can they realistically afford both he and Stewart? Is there anyone in the know that could shed some light on this subject?

-ld

Not a homer, but I think this will be an important year for Stewart to show he can stay healthy. The M.O. for NFL teams is to use RB's and throw them away before they exprire, so this would seem to be the time to kick Williams to the curb and move Stewart into the lead role. However, if Stewart continues to be hampered by injuries (I don't know how many games he's actually missed, but the guy seems to perpetually be 70% healthy) I think the conservative Panthers will have to suck it up, hedge their bets, and keep Williams.

Of course, this can all hinge on John Fox being there after this year. If he's blown out, everything's up in the air.

I think the reason why Stewart didn't get too many carries last year (until DWill got hurt) was because Stewart is already his replacement when his contract is up as he is a cheaper alternative for the time being...

2 years ago was his audition and late last year was the confirmation....

hard to answer that before seeing some games and how the season turns out. If Stewart can stay healthy he is a good RB but I think CAR values having 2 good RBs on their roster. It worked for them last year and you can argue (when healthy) it worked for MIA last year too.

I think DeAngelo is going to have a great season because its his contract year

However, if Stewart continues to be hampered by injuries (I don't know how many games he's actually missed, but the guy seems to perpetually be 70% healthy)

OOH OOH OOH I KNOW I KNOW!!!

That would be a big fat ZERO my friend.

Knock all this INJURY history stuff off. Stewart has been dinged since his rookie year, has not participated in ANY preseason games yet has not missed a game in 2 years. Yeah...he's one of those guys. A freaken beast. This is the first year, in Stewarts own words mind you, that he feels 100%. Look out.

hard to answer that before seeing some games and how the season turns out. If Stewart can stay healthy he is a good RB but I think CAR values having 2 good RBs on their roster. It worked for them last year and you can argue (when healthy) it worked for MIA last year too.

I think DeAngelo is going to have a great season because its his contract year

And who the head coach is. Will Fox stay? Cowher is the popular pick with pundits. A lot can change but I would sign him if the price isn't too high.

DeAngelo's contract / future was mentioned here back in May but we won't know more until after the season.

I suspect at least 8 teams would be lined up to throw huge money at D.W. (CBA issues not withstanding) in 2011.

JUM

Thanks, JUM.

I am seriously pondering if Williams could be one of the best value-picks of the season. I put this forth based on his dropping ADP (at least in the drafts I have been involved in) in light of his overall ranking of 6th here at the huddle. He's projected to be just a stone's-throw away from 4th overall if all goes right for him. If one could get Williams and Stewart for the approximate same price you would pay for a Gore or Rice, with the added benefit of having Stewart (possibly) starting for your 2011 team at a deep discount price, well, that would be hard to pass up! It is also interesting to note that Williams seems to be fully aware of what he needs to accomplish this season. A quote from the article:

"As for his financial future, Williams realizes that his big pay day will come after this season providing he continues to produce. That's when Williams will become an unrestricted free agent and will be allowed to sign with any of the league’s 32 teams."

This is all pure speculation on my part, but Williams should be supremely motivated, and if the Panthers can't afford to re-sign him, might they not just run Williams into the ground, preferring to keep Stewart as healthy as possible for next year, since their chances of making the playoffs this year are slim at best? If this scenario were to unfold, Williams could be in line for big numbers indeed for '10 (barring injuries, of course).

Where are all the Panthers homers? Is Panther Dave still around these here parts? PSU Lions?[/i]

-ld

Where are all the Panthers homers? Is Panther Dave still around these here parts? PSU Lions?[/i]

-ld

:wacko: PD made a cameo this summer but was gone the rest of the time. PSULions has other obligations and is only here on occasion now.

Edited by Big John

I tend to think they will run him for all he is worth this season and then let him walk as it is somewhat easy and a lot cheaper to find usuable RBs in the mid rounds of the draft. Given Fox's history of running the crap out of the vet, I dont see why it would be any different this time around. Panthers would be well suited using some of that big money at other positions.

Fox is loyal to his vets...always has been

Julius Peppers anyone? Yes, the Panthers have been loyal about giving the rock to the veteran guy first, but they're also cheap when it comes to holding to and paying veteran salaries, particularly when rebuilding with 3 other talented backs on the roster. I actually read a report today that their current #4RB could be a #2 on alot of teams.

Though the one thing that should worry the JStew owners is that pesky franchise tag. If they so choose to, they could ride DWill for one more year at a better price...

But at this point, it's not really worth arguing, because alot is going to hinge on what happens this season with both backs. That will be a large part of whether the Panthers determine that it is in their best-interest to move on, with or without DWill next year.

Julius Peppers anyone? Yes, the Panthers have been loyal about giving the rock to the veteran guy first, but they're also cheap when it comes to holding to and paying veteran salaries, particularly when rebuilding with 3 other talented backs on the roster. I actually read a report today that their current #4RB could be a #2 on alot of teams.

Though the one thing that should worry the JStew owners is that pesky franchise tag. If they so choose to, they could ride DWill for one more year at a better price...

But at this point, it's not really worth arguing, because alot is going to hinge on what happens this season with both backs. That will be a large part of whether the Panthers determine that it is in their best-interest to move on, with or without DWill next year.

We were talking about DWill THIS year...I don't see how JP has anything to do with DWills fantasy value this year. He rides his vets, this is a fact. He even rode Foster over DWill when DWill first came out.

We were talking about DWill THIS year...I don't see how JP has anything to do with DWills fantasy value this year. He rides his vets, this is a fact. He even rode Foster over DWill when DWill first came out.

The question was not about this year. It is about whether they will resign him. JP is relevant because it is an example of how, even though they ride their vets, they also are likely to get rid of them when they get too expensive, especially if rebuilding with suitable younger replacements.

I said I agree Fox will give the rock to him this year, but that has nothing to do with what happens next year, is my point... Actually, my only point is this whole conversation is moot at this point.

this situation is pretty obvious....they are going to let DWill play out the season as the starter to earn his new contract elsewhere and then they'll draft Stewart's understudy...to where Stewart will start for the next 2-3 seasons unless his replacement is shaky...

Gentlemen-

Well, I took the plunge and drafted both Williams & Stewart. To recap, The league is an 12 team auction format, total salary of $100, roster is 18-20 players, where you run a QB, RBx2, TE, WRx2, K & D. Passing TD = 4, rushing/ receiving TD = 6; Passing yardage = 1 point per 20 yards, rushing yardage = 1 point per 10 yards. You can keep as many players as you choose, but they receive a 30% increase per year (top 6 in each position significantly more). The top RB's went thus: Johnson (kept) = $37, Peterson = $36, Rice = $32, Gore = $30, Turner = $30, MJD = $29 Jackson = $26, Grant = $25. I payed $18 for Williams and $11 for Stewart. My starting lineup breaks down as: QB- K. Kolb, Phily ($6), RB- D. Williams, Car ($18), RB- S. Greene, NYJ (kept @ $2), TE- B. Celeck, Phily ($4.50), WR- R. White, Atl ($15), WR- G. Jennings, GB ($12), K- B. Cundiff, Balt ($1), Def- NYJ ($1). Now I'm hoping for a big year out of Williams and for Stewart to be the unquestioned starter next year; we shall see what happens!

-ld

Gentlemen-

Well, I took the plunge and drafted both Williams & Stewart. To recap, The league is an 12 team auction format, total salary of $100, roster is 18-20 players, where you run a QB, RBx2, TE, WRx2, K & D. Passing TD = 4, rushing/ receiving TD = 6; Passing yardage = 1 point per 20 yards, rushing yardage = 1 point per 10 yards. You can keep as many players as you choose, but they receive a 30% increase per year (top 6 in each position significantly more). The top RB's went thus: Johnson (kept) = $37, Peterson = $36, Rice = $32, Gore = $30, Turner = $30, MJD = $29 Jackson = $26, Grant = $25. I payed $18 for Williams and $11 for Stewart. My starting lineup breaks down as: QB- K. Kolb, Phily ($6), RB- D. Williams, Car ($18), RB- S. Greene, NYJ (kept @ $2), TE- B. Celeck, Phily ($4.50), WR- R. White, Atl ($15), WR- G. Jennings, GB ($12), K- B. Cundiff, Balt ($1), Def- NYJ ($1). Now I'm hoping for a big year out of Williams and for Stewart to be the unquestioned starter next year; we shall see what happens!

-ld

Uh-oh... :wacko: