[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Exactly what they want

Ursa Majoris

No more than I would want the Westboro Baptists attending a military funeral. Guess what? The vast, vast majority of muslims in this country are not extremists, and try to assimilate cause they DONT want to live under sharia law. If they did, they would move to a countyr that is supportive of that.

Respecting a religion is a lot different that "kissing butt". It is called well . . . respecting the rights of Americans to practice whatever religion they want. You dont have to agree with it, but at least have the minimum amount of intelligence required to respect the fact they have the ability to pray however they want . . . just like you do.

All this will do is incite the fanatics, help their recruitment and ultimately endanger American lives. Fracktards. Keep your bigotry to yourselves.

Amazing.

I don't care how or when or where they pray and worship. I have a problem when they tell me and by extension all other non-muslims how to behave when they become the majority or the preceived majority in a previously mostly secular area. I also have a problem with the Jehovahs Witnesses trying to convert me by knocking on my door and offering me free literature - but then they don't blow me up or cut off my head if I decline.

You guys are the frogs sitting in the pot of water on the stove. (And by frogs I don't meant the French, it's too late for them)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not fall into the trap of thinking that all Quran burning nut jobs are representative of Christianity as a whole, or that the American Flag burning nut jobs are representative of their religion either.

pretty much. it's unfortunate that so many people, here and elsewhere, are so eager to brand entire religions based on the headline seeking insanity of a handful of individuals.

The vast, vast majority of muslims in this country are not extremists, and try to assimilate cause they DONT want to live under sharia law. If they did, they would move to a countyr that is supportive of that.

that much is definitely true. most of the muslims seem to be pretty chill. the ones in europe, a little less so. the ones in pakistan, well....

and that's the thing, isn't it? it's not about the religion or particular idealogy, it's how much death and ruin and oppression you are willing to impose on your fellow humans in pursuit of it. are certain of the world's great religions or political ideologies more susceptible to hijacking by tyrants? it is worth discussing (and many of the world's purely "secular" ideologies wouldn't fare so well in the comparison), but we should always be wary of painting whole religions or movements with the extremist brush. it is a dishonest, cowardly, and uncharitable -- if all too common -- practice.

this

“Moderate Islam” is a dream, not a reality. It is a dream with potential, because there are millions of Muslims who are moderate people, and because there are dedicated Muslims working to transform their faith into something that is institutionally moderate. But they work against great odds. They confront Islamists whose dedication to theocratic principles is deeply and undeniably rooted in Islamic scripture. And they confront American opinion elites who, wittingly or not, serve as the lifeline of the Islamists.

The reformers’ slim chance at prevailing hinges on the American people’s will to say “no” to our self-anointed betters. Ground Zero, once again the site of epic Islamist overreach, may be remembered as the place where we started to say “no.”

I've mentioned this before, but there is an excellent book on this topic called "How to Win a Cosmic War" by Reza Aslan. It delves into the roots of the aggression between Islam and Christianity and Judaism and exactly why what we are doing is the entirely wrong thing. To sum it all up, the answer is the same answer given by the computer in the movie War Games.

Those m00slims are the cause of all our problems. If only some guy would come along and write a book in how to take care of them. He could call it something like "my plan". It's so crazy it just might work.

:wacko:

I read something like this before in America where we put people, based on their skin color during a time of war, into concentration camps. Highly effective.

I read something like this before in America where we put people, based on their skin color during a time of war, into concentration camps. Highly effective.

Really, when did this happen, based strictly on skin color, that is...

and I basically agree with that. the oppressive political forces railing in the name of islam are overwhelming. but as that blurb says, there are millions of muslims who live out their faith "moderately", at peace with others. those people prove that it is not the religion itself, but those who hijack it. we owe it to them, and to being truthful and accurate, not to slander the entire religion when talking about the very real problem of islamic extremism.

and I basically agree with that. the oppressive political forces railing in the name of islam are overwhelming. but as that blurb says, there are millions of muslims who live out their faith "moderately", at peace with others. those people prove that it is not the religion itself, but those who hijack it. we owe it to them, and to being truthful and accurate, not to slander the entire religion when talking about the very real problem of islamic extremism.

If only the "moderates" would do something about the extremists.

Weren't there a lot of "moderate" Germans in the 30's?

And just so your head doesn't explode, I'll save you some time on one of them. During WWII, Germans and Italians were also rounded up and placed into Internment Camps as well as Japanese Immigrants (and none of this was based on "skin color" as you speculate.) We'll deal with American Indians and African Americans later, as this was not based solely on skin color, either.

FWIW, the Nazis never took an absolute majority in any of the many elections preceding 1933 when they finally succeded to power. So, theoretically the answer is Yes.

Moderates can never overwhelm extremists except by denying them the soil in which to grow. Moderates don't arm themselves and are usually reluctant to fight. Their only weapon is denial of resources and when an armed band arrive at your village demanding said resources or they'll execute your entire family, it's hard to stand on that denial.

For those that think violence never pays, that's flat wrong. It does and it pays handsomely. But it roots itself in poverty and ignorance as well as dictatorship.

If only the "moderates" would do something about the extremists.

For the same reason the moderate Christians don't do anything about the radical ones? :wacko:

And before you say anything about Christians not flying planes into buildings & such, I see the nutjob "Christians" becoming increasingly more destructive & outspoken in their methods. It wouldn't surprise me at all to start seeing groups planning more violent acts against Muslims in the near future.

And just so your head doesn't explode, I'll save you some time on one of them. During WWII, Germans and Italians were also rounded up and placed into Internment Camps as well as Japanese Immigrants (and none of this was based on "skin color" as you speculate.) We'll deal with American Indians and African Americans later, as this was not based solely on skin color, either.

Yep, My wife's Grandfather had siblings die as a result of doctors in rural Missouri refusing to provide medical care to German immigrants during WW I.

all I've seen from other christians in the news commenting on these koran-burning assclowns is condemnation. what exactly would you have them "do" about it?

Rhetorical question?

If not I was referring to these nutbag Christian militia groups & the fruitcakes like the funeral protesters and how more moderate Christians respond to them. Ursa pretty much said it best:

Moderates can never overwhelm extremists except by denying them the soil in which to grow. Moderates don't arm themselves and are usually reluctant to fight. Their only weapon is denial of resources and when an armed band arrive at your village demanding said resources or they'll execute your entire family, it's hard to stand on that denial.

My faith - I am Christian - is more important than my country.

So, as much as I have big, big, big issues with Islam - and the imaginary 'moderate Muslim' - it seems to me that a mass burning of the Koran is worse than any flag burning

(and this is before you consider how this will hurt Americans at home and out soldiers abroad)

My faith - I am Christian - is more important than my country.

So, as much as I have big, big, big issues with Islam - and the imaginary 'moderate Muslim' - it seems to me that a mass burning of the Koran is worse than any flag burning

(and this is before you consider how this will hurt Americans at home and out soldiers abroad)

yeah, I pretty much agree. to me, it seems more offensive coming from a church group. if it was coming from some people protesting censorship and whatnot, like the "draw insulting pictures of the prophet muhammad day" a while back, I don't have as much of a problem with it. in fact, I kind of agree with the sentiment in that context. but for one religious group to burn the sacred items of another is pretty foul IMO.

This ranks right up there with building a mosque at ground zero. While I agree they have a right to do it, it is stupid and will only elevate the negative feelings out there. These people need to get a clue.

In fairness, it takes a degree of interpretation to see the building of a mosque a few blocks away from ground zero as an attack on Christianity. Actually, it's rather "religo-centric" to even see it as an attack on Christianity at all because, contrary to popular belief, the entire US is not Christian. It may be audacious, in-your-face, and in very poor form considering the fact that the attacks were done by radicals who claim that religion, but it's not, in and of itself, a direct attack on any particular religion done by another religion.

So, actually, this act of burning books more than "ranks right up there", it surpasses it by a hefty margin.

And don't confuse my thoughts with being, in any way, sympathetic to Islam. I actually dislike all religions about the same.

Edited by detlef

interesting aside I read this morning. tough situation. its not hard to understand the theater owner's concerns.

ATLANTA -- A couple of local businessmen are suing Atlanta’s Fox Theatre claiming racial and religious discrimination.

Basheer Jones and Nardin Jihad wanted to host a concert at the Fox on Saturday, Sept. 11. The concert would celebrate the end of their Muslim holy month of Ramadan, the men said. But the Fox said denied their application in March and that led to the lawsuit.

Jones said a Fox Theatre official told him, “You know, you guys are Muslim, and it’s September 11 and there’s going to be some security issues so we don’t think that it would be best for us as a company to rent the facility out to you.”

Fox Theatre officials told Channel 2 Action News that they informed the promoters that they already had two prior requests for events this Saturday and that they would rent the venue to the Muslim group on another date.

The concert will now be held Sunday, Sept. 12 at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre.