[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for Chargerz

rajncajn

I've been sick since Thursday of last week. It started as just a sinus infection, but quickly moved to my chest. On Monday I went to the doctor and he diagnosed bronchitis, which I'm prone to every few years and prescribed me some antibiotics, decongestant & sinus meds. Fast forward to today and I'm actually feeling a little worse than before and I don't ever remember having it for this long. I did go to work a few days, but left early the last day because I was feeling so tired. I haven't really done anything strenuous, but even the minor exertion seems to run me down for a little while. I had attributed it to the meds, but my wife is worried that I may have pneumonia instead. We looked up both symptoms on the net & they're pretty much the same. She wants me to go back to the doc on Monday, but I do still have another 3 days of antibiotics. My main question is, how do you tell the difference between the two & if I actually have pneumonia is there really anything different that I should be doing or taking?

I am fighting the same bug. Also know of many here in the New Orleans area getting their ass kicked by this. I have had Bronchitis way too many times to count. Started when I was a very young child. Mine is Bronchitis and considering your proximity I am guessing yours is as well.

I had to cancel all my work this weekend and have been in my bedroom either sleeping or staring at this computer screen.

Also I felt mine coming on Tues and it hit me hard Thurs. Usually lasts about a week for me.

Edited by tbimm

I got very ill a couple of years ago, and had a bit of pneumonia. The most disconcerting part about it was when I would lie down on my back, a sound would emanate from my throat that sounded like Rice Krispies, even when I wasn't breathing. :wacko:

I am fighting the same bug. Also know of many here in the New Orleans area getting their ass kicked by this. I have had Bronchitis way too many times to count. Started when I was a very young child. Mine is Bronchitis and considering your proximity I am guessing yours is as well.

I had to cancel all my work this weekend and have been in my bedroom either sleeping or staring at this computer screen.

Also I felt mine coming on Tues and it hit me hard Thurs. Usually lasts about a week for me.

I am fighting something too...2 weeks ago I missed an entire week of work...went back last week but didn't feel 100% and still not right...Upchucked on Friday nite and my wife called the doc and he said for me to go to the hospital...of course I didn't but today I did go for some tests :wacko:

Damn, I hope all you guys get better. Doesn't sound like fun. I'll fire anyone at my office that brings a bug like that in here.

I got sent home from work today for that very reason. Went to the Doc and it turns out I have an upper respiratory and sinus infection.

Funny part is when I was there 2 weeks ago for the vertigo I mentioned my sinuses bothering me and they sort of blew it off. Set me up for more testing for the vertigo. NOW they say the sinus infection very well may have been the cause of the vertigo in the 1st place. :wacko:

I got sent home from work today for that very reason. Went to the Doc and it turns out I have an upper respiratory and sinus infection.

Funny part is when I was there 2 weeks ago for the vertigo I mentioned my sinuses bothering me and they sort of blew it off. Set me up for more testing for the vertigo. NOW they say the sinus infection very well may have been the cause of the vertigo in the 1st place. :wacko:

Dude, doctors in Louisiana suck. My poor wife has witnessed it first-hand. Of COURSE the sinus infection - a real severe one - could have been the cause of your vertigo. I meant to ask if you were having sinus problems... I actually had a mild case of vertigo several years ago due to a sinus infection.

Oh, and hope ya feel better soon rajn... I hate bronchitis. :tup:

Edited by darin3

Sorry to get to this thread so late, but I drove back from Vegas today.

Pneumonia causes shortness of breath and rapid breathing. Fever and fatigue are also more prominent.

The best way a doctor can tell if you have pneumonia is to do an imaging study. A chest x-ray can show it, but sometimes a CT scan is needed. A blood gas test also shows if the lungs are not getting enough oxygen into your blood.

The antibiotics to treat pneumonia are sometimes very different than the ones used for treating bronchitis.

I think another trip to the doc is warrented especially since you don't seem to be responding to the antibiotic you were prescribed (patients usually respond within 48-72 hours).

Sorry to get to this thread so late, but I drove back from Vegas today.

Pneumonia causes shortness of breath and rapid breathing. Fever and fatigue are also more prominent.

The best way a doctor can tell if you have pneumonia is to do an imaging study. A chest x-ray can show it, but sometimes a CT scan is needed. A blood gas test also shows if the lungs are not getting enough oxygen into your blood.

The antibiotics to treat pneumonia are sometimes very different than the ones used for treating bronchitis.

I think another trip to the doc is warranted especially since you don't seem to be responding to the antibiotic you were prescribed (patients usually respond within 48-72 hours).

Well, I haven't had the fever, just mainly the heavy congestion, coughing & shortness of breath. I ended up not going back to the docs yesterday because I spent all day messing with my wifes van and sitting at the dealer waiting for the prognosis on it. :wacko:

FWIW, I am feeling a bit better today & I think the feeling worse may be just a relapse with the head cold. If it's not completely gone by mid-week I'll definitely go back.

Finally went back to the doc today, he took blood & did an x-ray & no pneumonia. Still feel like crap and still coughing so he prescribed some stronger meds. :fingerscrossed:

I'm glad you went back and got re-evaluated! Hopefully the new meds will be successful.