[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the next bailout

dmarc117

There were some bright spots: Texas, Virginia and Nebraska were among states that have done a good job of controlling their finances over the years and aren't threatened as much.

We shall call our newly independent wealthy country Nebtexaska Virgin. We will close the borders to the broke and desperate United States.

Edited by TimC

I wouldn't be shocked to see the US be split into territories...so that there wouldn't be one President....there would be about 4 or 5 of them...

a situation where one area wouldn't be responsible for bailing out another...they would be responsible for their own group of states and keeping it inside that bubble...

I wouldn't be shocked to see the US be split into territories...so that there wouldn't be one President....there would be about 4 or 5 of them...

a situation where one area wouldn't be responsible for bailing out another...they would be responsible for their own group of states and keeping it inside that bubble...

:wacko:

I wouldn't be shocked if nothing like that even remotely happened.

I wouldn't be shocked if nothing like that even remotely happened.

I'd be surprised but not upset. If Texas was given the option to peacefully remove itself from The Union, I'd vote for it, provided that we were a stand alone nation, and not part of a group of surrounding states making up a new nation.

are you still pushing this: http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=282355

a the old "hunger games" scenario . :wacko:

I'd be surprised but not upset. If Texas was given the option to peacefully remove itself from The Union, I'd vote for it, provided that we were a stand alone nation, and not part of a group of surrounding states making up a new nation.

I'd vote against it under any circumstance.

Pay those taxes.

The Wall Street Journal editorial page explained that in 1999, then-Governor Gray Davis, in cahoots with the California State Employees Association, passed “the largest issuance of non-voter-approved debt in the state’s history. The bill...granted billions of dollars in retroactive pension boosts to state employees, allowing retirements as young as age 50 with lifetime pensions of up to 90% of final year salaries.” The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (known as CalPERS) promised that no additional state contributions were needed and that the plans would be “fully funded.” It was the ultimate something-for-nothing scheme: “They also claimed that enhanced pensions would not cost taxpayers ‘a dime’ because investment bets would cover the expense.”

But CalPERS and Davis didn’t tell the voters that the state would have to pick up the tab if the ludicrous investment predictions (for example, that the Dow would hit 25,000 by 2009) failed to pan out. The shortfall turned out to be hundreds of billions of dollars. Nor did voters learn that “CalPERS’s own employees would benefit from the pension increases [or that]...members of CalPERs’s board had received contributions from the public employee unions who would benefit from the legislation.”

Aahhh unions.