[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If You Don't Pay, The House Burns Down!

Avernus

I can think of two good reasons: 1) to ensure there were no people in danger, and 2) to be sure the fire didn't spread.

you mean you're contributing to (and encouraging) telemarketer scams, dumbass. :tup: read this, this and this:

:wacko:

I guess when I worked at a club where the GM told them to piss off . . "it is a scam" and we had a cop parked outside our entrance for the next 3 weeks it was just coincidence huh?

You REALLY underestimate the power of police unions in Illinois . . . . but you live in Colorado . . so I guess that isnt surprising. :tup:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the big difference between left and right had always been how much of a safety net each side thought should exist. Not wether it should exist or not.

in the past one would have been hard pressed to find a right winger argue that everyone should totally be left to their own devices, consequences be damned. Not Rush, not Hannity, not Newt. They all beleive in some form of a safety net.

I see that that is changing.

As I said before, I am shocked at just how much the state provides for in France, and pretty dismayed at a lot of it.

But to see a society in which a basic public service such as a fire service is treated as a private industry really bothers me.

And to see that someone, in this case a fire chief, feels the need to enforce those tenents so rigidly shocks me to the core.

Bunch of friggin savages.

Looks like I got out of dodge just in time...

Typical.

Who really cares if the system is stupid or not - guess what - THAT is the system and if you are too frickin cheap to fork out the cash then burn baby burn.

I seriously can't believe that people think that they should have just said OK we will put it out and you can pay us the $70 bucks tomorrow. Do you think next year when the bill comes this teet sucker would pay? Nope.

Does anybody know how much Fire Insurance costs extra on top of regular home owners insurance? Is it more fiscally prudent to pay a couple hundred to the insurance company annually instead of paying $75 per year on top "just in case" the fire department can come out and save the place? I mean, if you are really out in a rural area, how fast could they get there and what all would that save? I'm just thinking that you might be on your own regardless if you are really out in the middle of nowhere. If your material possessions can all be replaced with insurance $$ and I could only afford one or figured I'm screwed regardless if my place catches fire, some people may think it's worth the gamble. :wacko: Just a random thought...

Looks like their two dogs and cat perished in the fire. Remind me to never visit Tennessee. What a craphole of a state. Poor people should simply stop breeding. Maybe we can use that state as a nuclear waste dump after they stop inbreeding?

Looks like their two dogs and cat perished in the fire. Remind me to never visit Tennessee. What a craphole of a state. Poor people should simply stop breeding. Maybe we can use that state as a nuclear waste dump after they stop inbreeding?

Have you been to western VA lately?

Have you been to western VA lately?

Hell yeah, I wish West Virginia had ceded all the way west to the Richmond line. Scary people. Of course, we aren't so ghetto and trashy that we have pay-per-view firemen.

Hell yeah, I wish West Virginia had ceded all the way west to the Richmond line. Scary people. Of course, we aren't so ghetto and trashy that we have pay-per-view firemen.

The firemen weren't pay per view, they watched it without getting paid... more like pay per spray.

The firemen weren't pay per view, they watched it without getting paid... more like pay per spray.

Kinda like the police doing nothing but being de facto tax revenue generators now. Oh well, our "public servants" are just in it for themselves nowadays. Next up, we'll only pay the military if they actually start winning wars.

You know, Vito and Lou made the same pitch to my uncle regarding his store in Jersey.

He paid.

Yeah, but Vito and Lou were gonna start the fire.

I do like a la carte government services. Can we pick and choose what other services we'll support? I will no longer pay for poor people that "need" cell phones, tax breaks for your shiny new energy efficient appliances and people on Social Security can suck it.

I do like a la carte government services. Can we pick and choose what other services we'll support? I will no longer pay for poor people that "need" cell phones, tax breaks for your shiny new energy efficient appliances and people on Social Security can suck it.

i was thinken it would be great if i didn't have to pay for roads... they could be all gravel...

i was thinken it would be great if i didn't have to pay for roads... they could be all gravel...

Obviously, in Tennessee, it's more important for the Government to keep the private asphalt companies in business than their resident's houses from burning down.

That said, "privitization" of firefighters seems very odd to me. That should IMO be govt supplied, even for rural areas, much like police etc.
But to see a society in which a basic public service such as a fire service is treated as a private industry really bothers me.

this was not a private fire department, it's run by the city government of south fulton, TN.

which kinda helps explain why they didn't put the fire out and bill them after the fact, that would make too much sense.

In the story that Pareene links to is the following statement:

The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late.

You would think at some price, the fire department would show up. After all, a private for-profit fire company could make some good money doing so and, by charging high enough, could limit the incentive for people not to pay in advance for protection. Rural/Metro in Arizona is the example we libertarians often point to of a company that charges a fee. I remember reading, although I can't find the source, that if someone didn't subscribe and his house is burning down, Rural/Metro will show up and charge a fee that is a high multiple of the annual fee.

It turns out, though, that the fire department in Tennessee was not a private for-profit fire department. It was a government-run fire department. You read that right: the fire department that refused to show up and refused to name a price at which it would show up was run by the government of South Fulton.

I wonder if the firemen would not be allowed to put out the fire at the "non-subscribing" house because their own health insurance would not then cover the firemen?

this was not a private fire department, it's run by the city government of south fulton, TN.

which kinda helps explain why they didn't put the fire out and bill them after the fact, that would make too much sense.

You would think at some price, the fire department would show up. After all, a private for-profit fire company could make some good money doing so and, by charging high enough, could limit the incentive for people not to pay in advance for protection. Rural/Metro in Arizona is the example we libertarians often point to of a company that charges a fee. I remember reading, although I can't find the source, that if someone didn't subscribe and his house is burning down, Rural/Metro will show up and charge a fee that is a high multiple of the annual fee.

It turns out, though, that the fire department in Tennessee was not a private for-profit fire department. It was a government-run fire department. You read that right: the fire department that refused to show up and refused to name a price at which it would show up was run by the government of South Fulton.

our local fire and ambulance is having financial trouble because people are not paying for the service after the fact. an ambulance run is 500 to 1000. Fire i have no idea

How much could it cost to put out an average trailer home fire? $300 worth of water and $300 worth ofbasic labor just to put out the flames? Cash only.

Meth lab or no meth lab present?

our local fire and ambulance is having financial trouble because people are not paying for the service after the fact. an ambulance run is 500 to 1000. Fire i have no idea

Kinda surprised they don't either capture a credit card imprint or impose a lien or simply go to court and garnish wages.