[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wish me luck......lol

SteelBunz

I'm off to rent a jackhammer to demo a hunk of concrete used for a very BAD shower pan. :lol: Awful.....just awful construction. It's a retrofit, not original. But gawd.....if you don't know what you're doing.....DON'T do it. :tup: This is truly the most convoluted shower I've ever run across. It could be used to teach remodelers what NOT to do in just about every category......lol.

I think there may even be a second, original drain under all this concrete. Because no plumber I know would run a drain the way this one was done.

One positive....the concrete, for the most part, seems deteriorated enough to make removal not so bad. They did throw in bricks to cut down on the concrete used.....lol. Which is why just drilling and chipping away had become a lengthy, stupid process.

Did I mention....I hate demo?? :wacko:

And for those of you confused.....NO....concrete is not supposed to be used for shower pans. If you have a shower pan 'hand-poured'...it is a hard pack mortar mix/sand combo with a preslope and a liner. "Hand-poured' is sort of a misnomer, but it is how we refer to them. This one didn't even have a liner. Can you say.....dryrot? And major leakage? :tup:

Bunzie, I'm gonna need some pics of you man-handling that jack hammer. TIA.

:tup:

:pantstight:

LOL....the guy at the rental shop said....Sure....we have 5 available. Want two?? Ummmmm......if I could handle two at once, I'd be trying out for the Mrs. Body Building champ. Ewww.....that gave me bad shivers......lol. :wacko: Does ANY guy actually crave a woman that can benchpress them? :tup:

No :wacko:

That is the correct answer. :(

DO NOT ATTEMPT DEMO SOBER :tup:

I thought your rule was don't use a framing nailer sober. :lol:

You guys got that fancy indoor plumbing up there, I'm envious!!!!

:lol: Yeah....we're sort of snobby like that.

hey, the guy was probably proud as hell he just got the slope somewhat right so the water ran down to the drain. if only he would have remembered to seal the whole thing off with duct tape. :(

good luck!

OMG Az....this was MY first thought too!! :tup: Liners?? We don't need no stinkin' liners! Duct Tape!! (or in this case.....a CASE of caulk.)

Brb.

:( I knew you'd get that, Hughy. :lol:

What a frikken beast that thing was! Damn glad I don't do THAT every day. Luckily, as I thought, the concrete was soft enough that the whole job took longer to go get the tool and return it than the actual demo.

Whew...glad that's over. Some clean-up and a plumbing consult and I can finally get rolling putting this thing back together. My client will be SO happy to have a working, new bathroom!! :)

Edited by SteelBunz

That is the correct answer. :(

I thought your rule was don't use a framing nailer sober. :lol:

:lol: Yeah....we're sort of snobby like that.

OMG Az....this was MY first thought too!! :wacko: Liners?? We don't need no stinkin' liners! Duct Tape!! (or in this case.....a CASE of caulk.)

:lol: I knew you'd get that, Hughy. :tup:

What a frikken beast that thing was! Damn glad I don't do THAT every day. Luckily, as I thought, the concrete was soft enough that the whole job took longer to go get the tool and return it than the actual demo.

Whew...glad that's over. Some clean-up and a plumbing consult and I can finally get rolling putting this thing back together. My client will be SO happy to have a working, new bathroom!! :(

this client you speak of....what's her dimensions :tup:

Ummmmm......if I could handle two at once, I'd be trying out for the Mrs. Body Building champ.

I know a few women that can handle two at once And they don't try out for the Mrs. Body Building champ.

Good luck, but have you considered dynamite? :wacko:

It always amazes me what a home owner can do to f' up a house.

I have several stories from my first house. But that's another day.

Good luck love! :tup:

Thanks guys! The luck was really for me having to use a big ole jackhammer.......lol. Tendinitis, weak joints....blah, blah blah. I really had a few doubts I'd be able to maneuver that 70lb, top-heavy thing where I needed it. It wasn't like jackhammering something on the same level you are standing. I had to keep dead lifting it back up on top of the 8 inch slab. The 25lb demo hammer wouldn't have been enough for the job.

But all went well! :wacko: To me.....that was the hard part.....lol. The rest is a piece of cake. Tedious maybe, but I live for that. The only thing that could wear me out is if we have to do a hand-poured pan. I may have to recruit a helper to mix and tote hard pack for me. :tup: This is not going to be her higher end bathroom...so I'm shooting for an acrylic shower pan or even a premade/thinset in/ tile over shower pan. Something a little more time saving for me. :tup:

Edited by SteelBunz

Will you still be here Monday night? I have two tickets to the hockey game. Blue Jackets/Fliers. Martin can't get off work.

Thanks for the offer. :wacko:

With any luck I'll be flying out on schedule Friday morning. Probably no later than Saturday. I've been here since the 11th, working super long days. I have a better appreciation of central Ohio, first time I haven't been here in the dead of the summer or winter. :tup:

Thanks for the offer. :lol:

With any luck I'll be flying out on schedule Friday morning. Probably no later than Saturday. I've been here since the 11th, working super long days. I have a better appreciation of central Ohio, first time I haven't been here in the dead of the summer or winter. :lol:

And you hit it just right.....high fall color this week. Nice temps.

Oh well.....would have been fun! Sorry I missed ya, bush. :wacko:

Next time. And quit sneaking into my town without so much as a call. :tup: I'm getting a complex. :tup:

Edited by SteelBunz