[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marques Colston

Chadman

I've long been a supporter of Colston and the Saints in general since they returned to prominence. Despite my Vikings leanings... :wacko:

I avoided him in drafts this year due to the team having so many options, and he really hasn't panned out to his expectations. My question is, why? And does anyone think he might show up from time to time moving forward? I have not seen one Saints game this season, and have no feeling about it. I'm thinking the Saints should get better as players get healthier, I just can't figure out why Colston can't get in the end zone this season with players being out. Is he being doubled? Is there something personal going on there? Any ideas?

Thanks for any local (or other) thoughts on this.I can't really tell much from his game logs, other than the lack of TD's. Just seems strange to me.

I've discussed it in a past JUMbotron and it's one of the most confounding issues of 2010 FF.

I dug around and found this at SaintsReport.com. One chatter says:

I've noticed the last few games, they've put Jimmy Graham in that goalline split position instead of Colston. Or maybe Colston was on the other side, but they've been throwing to Graham.

Edited by JUMbotron

Rarely is something like this such a silent mystery, and even the locals don't seem to know. Strange. I think I may take a shot at getting him in one league at least. I'd guess with Bush and Thomas out, things are a little off down there, but that guy has always been a monster. Thanks for the response.

Not local here, but I'm perplexed too. The obvious answer is that Brees spreads the ball around, but Colston has been such a go-to guy that you'd expect a lot more red zone looks for him. He's on my team and I consistently start him. And, I don't think I'm in denial about some sort of drop off in performance or possibly a WR type emotional problem that we all know, WRs are known to have. I just don't see that with this guy and I have watched some of their games and he seems to be running hard and tuned in.

:wacko:

Here's what I wrote two weeks ago. I'm sticking by it. In my experience these drop-offs are almost always a hidden injury, perhaps minor, but a nagging issue nevertheless.

No one else will say it, so I will. Something is physically wrong with Marques Colston. Look, he's never been a breakaway threat but he used to pop one here and there. Lately here's what I see: Colston runs nothing but 12-yard hitches and hook routes, always catching the ball with his back to the end zone. Not much separation anymore. Never streaking downfield on a post or outracing a DB. I started noticing it last year when I owned him. Did the two surgeries on his left knee in Jan. 2008 and Jan. 2009 take away a step? I know one thing: Colston has been listed at 225 for years but he's 235 lbs now, guaranteed.

Edited by JUMbotron

I just beleive he's being double teamed allowing for the other runners to be open. Teams take their chances on henderson instead of Colston. They figure you cant stop the machine, just slow it down and its working. look at the stats.

Yeah, the only thing is - the elite receivers (and elite play-callers like Sean Payton) always find a way. I think there's something wrong with Colston physically. Subtle, but physical. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with this because there's really no other explanation for the continual lack of production.

Colston isn't an elite talent - never was. He's good, maybe even very good, but not elite. Early on in NO Brees did what he did in SD - he force-fed the ball to the only guy he trusted. It so happens Colston was also the only guy NO had that was any good at that time. The difference is Gates is elite and has continued to produce at that level, Colson isn't and produces less. As Brees has gotten more comfortable, and as the guys around Colston have developed more, plus adding Shockey, Brees has gotten comfortable spreading it around to them.

I'm considering dropping him outright. Nobody is even considering bad offers for him right now. Seriously I can't get jack for the guy and now he's just taking up a roster spot that some other mediocre WR could be taking up that might actually score once every few games.

I'm considering dropping him outright. Nobody is even considering bad offers for him right now. Seriously I can't get jack for the guy and now he's just taking up a roster spot that some other mediocre WR could be taking up that might actually score once every few games.

I traded Torain for him and I regret it...I am still hoping he pulls it together but who knows. I am starting him this week, but if not he is just a good reserve to have.

This:

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Marques Colston is drawing double coverage on "almost every critical down-and-distance situation" so far this season.

I'd hedge a bet that he goes off against a very poor Bengal pass defense this week. Sell high after Sunday.

Edited by tazinib1

Colston isn't an elite talent - never was. He's good, maybe even very good, but not elite. Early on in NO Brees did what he did in SD - he force-fed the ball to the only guy he trusted. It so happens Colston was also the only guy NO had that was any good at that time. The difference is Gates is elite and has continued to produce at that level, Colson isn't and produces less. As Brees has gotten more comfortable, and as the guys around Colston have developed more, plus adding Shockey, Brees has gotten comfortable spreading it around to them.

He flirted with the elite status. After 2007 he set the NFL record for most catches in the first two seasons (168). Colston was dominant.

+1

I was just about to suggest that (instead of there being some mystery as to why he's not putting up stats) its possible the guy is just not that good? Or, at least not as good as people think he is. :wacko:

Career Stats Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles

G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2010 New Orleans Saints 6 5 30 340 11.3 30 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2009 New Orleans Saints 16 14 70 1,074 15.3 68 9 1 6 6.0 6 0 2 2

2008 New Orleans Saints 11 6 47 760 16.2 70T 5 -- -- -- -- -- 1 0

2007 New Orleans Saints 16 14 98 1,202 12.3 45 11 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1

2006 New Orleans Saints 14 12 70 1,038 14.8 86T 8 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

TOTAL 315 4,414 14.0 86 33 1 6 6.0 6 0 4 3

He was a 7th round pick out of Hofstra. He's had a couple nice seasons but nothing that screams elite to me. Maybe the guy just had his time in the sun and he's falling off? It aint like we havent seen players boom for a couple seasons and then fall off considerably...

I've discussed it in a past JUMbotron and it's one of the most confounding issues of 2010 FF.

I dug around and found this at SaintsReport.com. One chatter says:

I've noticed the last few games, they've put Jimmy Graham in that goalline split position instead of Colston. Or maybe Colston was on the other side, but they've been throwing to Graham.

I don't think Graham's one catch for 11 yards on the season is stealing Colston's thunder.

The Saints Redzone offense has been poor this season altogether.

You can argue over whether or not he is an elite talent, but he is still better than many of the WRs. What Reggie Bush does for this offense has to be looked at. That isn't taking away from Colston, just that "what they do" and how they prepared for the season has a lot to do with Bush being on the field.

I have been disappointed in Colston in a PPR "Experts" league where I got him in the late third after going RB and QB. While looking at how he is performing there are guys like Randy Moss, Fitz (although with a bye) that are right in there with him within five points while some other under performing "studs" trail him in points.

LInk to above mentioned article at the Times-Picayune

Basically, Colston has become a victim of his own talent. He's become such a weapon for the Saints, especially in the red zone and on third down that defenses are targeting him with double-teams in almost every critical down-and-distance situation.

Bottom line is he can't be looked at as a WR1 right now...but I would look for Colston to pick it up when Bush is back and as they and if people have given up on him then he should make a good WR2 or flex for somebody. The way the Saints are playing they are going to have to put the foot on the gas down the stretch, they won't be coasting.

Bottom line is he can't be looked at as a WR1 right now...but I would look for Colston to pick it up when Bush is back and as they and if people have given up on him then he should make a good WR2 or flex for somebody. The way the Saints are playing they are going to have to put the foot on the gas down the stretch, they won't be coasting.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. This paragraph kind of is where I'm at right now, might offer something for him. I'd guess when Bush gets back, some things will open up for Colston. And I remember from having him before, he was a wonderful red zone threat - big, strong, great positioning, and great hands. I doubt all of that has just gone away, and even if he has something nagging, he should be worth some TDs down the stretch.