[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Gates Can't go...

Rovers

Noting the fact that Gates has only practiced one day in the last three weeks, who is getting Gates' snaps in practice? I know McMicheal has done nothing this year, but if he is getting reps with the ones (Rivers) can he be a sneaky play this week if the game time decision on Gates is a no go? SD homers? Could McMicheal be a one week wonder if he has had some time to work with Rivers?

TE's are dropping like flies this year, Finely out, Gates and Davis all dinged up, Witten, Daniels and Schiancoe have disappointed... even Keller is in a slump. Could McMicheal be in a perfect storm this week? Rivers is nearly out of targets against a shaky pass D.

20? I have a hard time finding 20 that have his upside , the caveat being whether or not Gates can play.

M Lewis, Watson, Heap, Witten have been doing OK, but Gonzo, Heap and Watson are on byes, Olson, Schiancoe, Shockey, Boss, Fasano, Winslow, Celek, Carlson, Scheffler, Moeki and the NE TE's haven't been doing much of anything. Sure, they all get a few targets, but I have to think McMicheals' upside is better than most of them IF he starts and gets most of the snaps. I can't see the SD offense ignoring the TE position completely with Gates out (if he is) given the thin WR corp and poor running game. Tamme is a nice play, but what other TE's after a handful have the potential for a 5 catch, 60 yard one TD game?

IF Gates is out, AND if McMicheal has been getting time with Rivers, I don't think I can find 8 TE's I'd rather start this week, but that is the point of this thread...

IF Gates can't go, who has been getting snaps with Rivers and who gets the playing time against Houston?

20? I have a hard time finding 20 that have his upside , the caveat being whether or not Gates can play.

M Lewis, Watson, Heap, Witten have been doing OK, but Gonzo, Heap and Watson are on byes, Olson, Schiancoe, Shockey, Boss, Fasano, Winslow, Celek, Carlson, Scheffler, Moeki and the NE TE's haven't been doing much of anything. Sure, they all get a few targets, but I have to think McMicheals' upside is better than most of them IF he starts and gets most of the snaps. I can't see the SD offense ignoring the TE position completely with Gates out (if he is) given the thin WR corp and poor running game. Tamme is a nice play, but what other TE's after a handful have the potential for a 5 catch, 60 yard one TD game?

IF Gates is out, AND if McMicheal has been getting time with Rivers, I don't think I can find 8 TE's I'd rather start this week, but that is the point of this thread...

IF Gates can't go, who has been getting snaps with Rivers and who gets the playing time against Houston?

I like Olson against the soft Bills pass defense this week. Yes, Olson has been mostly a bust this year, but this should be his week to shine. I wouldn't trust the aging McMichaels with only a week to learn the playbook.

I like Olson against the soft Bills pass defense this week. Yes, Olson has been mostly a bust this year, but this should be his week to shine. I wouldn't trust the aging McMichaels with only a week to learn the playbook.

A week? Did you read the thread? Or do you have a short term memory problem? Gates has only practiced ONCE in the last THREE weeks. The entire point of the thread is to ask if McMicheal has been getting all of those snaps. :wacko:

I don't think McMichael will be able to get open that much. Sure, it's an opportunity, but he's past his prime. I'd look elsewhere.

And to answer the question, Kevin Acee has tweeted that McMichael would be the guy to grab if Gates can't play. I'm guessing they wouldn't recommend grabbing McMichael if he wasn't 2nd string, and I'm also guessing that the 2nd string TE would practice with the first team if Gates couldn't practice.

its TE roulette at that point. I would roll with Scheffler if available. I know Pettigrew is the top dog but Scheffler might still get his

Well, that is the problem, given injuries and byes this week. Almost nothing out there on waivers. (I happen to have Davis in this league in a start 2 TE flex with heavy TE scoring) so TE's are at a premium already. Is McMicheal a reach? Heck yes. Could he have a big week? Not likely, but possible. The Houston pass D is not good, they just shuffled their LB's around moving Cushing to the middle, and Rivers has been throwing to his RB's a lot already. I'll guess that Houston might not pay much attention to McMicheals.

How many points might a Scheffler or Gronkowski get even if they are available? Measure that against a SD offense that leans on the TE position, a weak pass D this week and against an LB corp somewhat stuggling due to the loss of D Ryans. Now take away so many of the SD WR's. If nothing else, I'm curious to see what he has left in the tank at 31 and playing a position that has been historically a big part of the SD offense. At 6'3", can he be a red zone target for one week?

Not that I have a choice, but I'll call him my sleeper of the week.

San Diego Sports Radio said McMichael is getting the snaps with the first team this week. Having just given you hope that he might produce, I have to remind you that McMichael is 31 and his best years are behind him. I really don't see him having much ff value even if Gates doesn't play.

Well, that is the problem, given injuries and byes this week. Almost nothing out there on waivers. (I happen to have Davis in this league in a start 2 TE flex with heavy TE scoring) so TE's are at a premium already. Is McMicheal a reach? Heck yes. Could he have a big week? Not likely, but possible. The Houston pass D is not good, they just shuffled their LB's around moving Cushing to the middle, and Rivers has been throwing to his RB's a lot already. I'll guess that Houston might not pay much attention to McMicheals.

How many points might a Scheffler or Gronkowski get even if they are available? Measure that against a SD offense that leans on the TE position, a weak pass D this week and against an LB corp somewhat stuggling due to the loss of D Ryans. Now take away so many of the SD WR's. If nothing else, I'm curious to see what he has left in the tank at 31 and playing a position that has been historically a big part of the SD offense. At 6'3", can he be a red zone target for one week?

Not that I have a choice, but I'll call him my sleeper of the week.

I hope you are right. I just grabbed him. As you say, the waiver wire is bare of tight ends and I would like to have a backup in case Gates can't go. Not sure what I will do next week when San Diego is on a bye. I'm sitting at 7-1 with Gates being one of the main reasons. I would like to see them rest him a couple of weeks if that would help him come back strong for the rest of the season. McMichael was a pretty decent receiver a few years ago and I would think that the Chargers have some tight end specific plays they use that he may benefit from. Of course, first he has to get open and then he has to catch the ball. I do think he will get some looks though if he plays.

San Diego Sports Radio said McMichael is getting the snaps with the first team this week. Having just given you hope that he might produce, I have to remind you that McMichael is 31 and his best years are behind him. I really don't see him having much ff value even if Gates doesn't play.

but they said Gates practiced like 1 day in the past 2 or 3 weeks.....so McMichael has been taking 1st team snaps for a few weeks now....in practice...

A week? Did you read the thread? Or do you have a short term memory problem? Gates has only practiced ONCE in the last THREE weeks. The entire point of the thread is to ask if McMicheal has been getting all of those snaps. :wacko:

My bad - I meant to say "taking all the first team snaps." Mea culpa.

Well, Gates is 30, McMicheal 31. RM fell into FF irrelanance for the past 3 seasons in the black hole that was the Rams' offense. This year he's behind Gates. I have trouble thinking he's over the hill at 31. At Miami he was never spectacular, but solid. He hasn't had a decent team or QB throwing to him for a long while now. He also missed most of the 2008 season. Heck, he even managed a TD last year on that awful Rams team. Last year the Rams only threw for 12 TD's total, with Avery getting five of them and Fells got 3. Even S Jackson only scored 4 times, and none by passing.

If McMicheal is ever to have another good game in the NFL, this is the week.

Editted to add: YTD, only Buffalo has given up more FF points to TE's than Houston has. Houston gives up an average of 10.2 FF points, non PPR scoring. I'm not saying McMicheal is some sort of lock this week, but all the pieces are in place for that to happen.

Edited by Rovers

Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee believes TE Antonio Gates (doubtful, toe) will play Sunday against Houston.

Gates reportedly looked good walking in early morning practice, prompting Acee to say "it's a safe bet he (Gates) will play." Owners should already have a contingency plan in place, and since we'll know his true status by noon ET Sunday he won't burn a hole in your lineup if he ends up sitting. For now, things are looking good for Gates, but be sure to check in tomorrow.

You know as a Gates owner I almost hope he rests. I mean a lot of bad things can happen if he plays IMO.

He's in for a few plays, gets reinjured, and then sits the remainder of the game.

He plays at way less than 100% and is ineffective thus getting a catch or two only killing fantasy owners.

He plays and it sets him back big picture thus hindering him even more after the bye.

I really just wish they'd sit him and give him 3 full weeks off until their week 11 game. If it wasn't for the fact that SD is in a mode where EVERY game is HUGE I think they would do that. BUT even a 50% Gates as a weapon/decoy may be worth pushing him tomorrow in their opinion.

I have some good options in Tamme and Hernandez in a league where TE's get 1 PPR and WR's/RB's get .5 PPR. I plan on starting 2 TE's no matter what, but wish they would just sit him so I wouldn't have to make that very tough call. I still may bench Gates even if he plays, but that is SO tough to do because he has been an ultra stud.

Tough spot. Wish they'd rest him this week.

Edited by giantsfan

Editted to add: YTD, only Buffalo has given up more FF points to TE's than Houston has. Houston gives up an average of 10.2 FF points, non PPR scoring. I'm not saying McMicheal is some sort of lock this week, but all the pieces are in place for that to happen.

I'm picking him up on waivers tonight and am going to wait and see what happens with Gates. TE position is so thin, all the other available options are literally crapshoots.

I can almost guarantee this won't work out, but I feel the same way about all other TEs available...and I'd at least like to put my best foot forward and give myself a chance. At least there's SOM evidence to indicate he could catch a few passes.

I'm picking him up on waivers tonight and am going to wait and see what happens with Gates. TE position is so thin, all the other available options are literally crapshoots.

I can almost guarantee this won't work out, but I feel the same way about all other TEs available...and I'd at least like to put my best foot forward and give myself a chance. At least there's SOM evidence to indicate he could catch a few passes.

Whenever something in FF looks like it ought to work out... it doesn't.

Might be a moot point in any case, Gates just might be active. I'll be doing the same... ready to plug McMicheals in IF Gates is inactive, but now my guess is Gates plays and is horribly ineffective. :wacko:

If McMicheal is ever to have another good game in the NFL, this is the week.

There is always hope, but even though Gates is listed as "doubtful" and is a GTD, I think Gates will play and this discussion will be moot.

Gates is 30, McMicheal 31

True, but Gates is a supernatural being with the elixir of eternal life, while McMichael is a anger management case who thumped on his pregnant wife.

:wacko:

Anyways, thanks for the research, Rovers, and you might be on the verge of bye week / injury substitute sainthood for some folks who are in a TE bind this week. At worst, he posts three catches for 30 yards like all the rest of the turds on the WW TE slag heap.

Latest per Roto:

SI's Will Carroll says it looks like Chargers TE Antonio Gates will play in Week 9 against Houston.

Once again, we'll know Gates' official status at around 11:30 ET, so owners are going to need to check back then to make some last minute lineup changes. Things continue to look good for Gates.

I picked up Tamme in the only league I have Gates and I may well start him.

I would. I am already starting Tamme in my Gates league and plan on going 2 TE's (TE's get 1 PPR compared to .5 PPR for RB's and WR's). My choice is Hernandez or Gates.

Have to stick with Gates, but I am a bit nervous.

Antonio Gates, TE SD

News: The San Diego Union-Times reports on Saturday that Chargers TE Antonio Gates, listed as doubtful for the Week 9 game at Houston with toe and foot injuries, was walking fine as San Diego went out for a walk-through.