[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

four things I would change if elected...

Duchess Jack

I am sure there are more... and better things... but these items have been sticking in my mind for a while now as things connected to the brokeness of America.

1) Term Limits in Congress.

No more worrying about filling the war chest for the next election cycle once somebody is elected.

2) Revise Primaries.

If there are five candidates on the ballot - rate them 1-5 (with the no.1 getting 5 points and the no. 5 getting 1 point). Total the points and the highest point total wins. I think this would work against the extremist fringe of parties and it would get rid of the idea of throwing away somebody's vote. I'd like to see it in the general election as well. Maybe the first choice get's 10 and the last choice gets 2 points. Again - the middle would speak most loudly with these votes.

3) Get rid of Government Pensions.

Nobody else gets them any longer - why should the government. It seems to be one of the larger issues tying up money. If you need to raise government worker salaries a bit to compensate - sure - but that would still be way cheaper then the whole pension thing (where people can actually 2-3 pensions). Isn't it bad enough that government workers get 1,001 days off anyway?

4) Matching Funs for Campaign donations

I think that anybody donating to a campaign - and anybody making those silly unaccountable commercials should have to donate $1 into a pool for every dollar spent on this BS. That pool should be used to make the country better. Heck, there could be something on the ballot where the 'people' can vote on where that year's election money goes. I think that this would reduce the silly amount of money going to elections and acutally make sure that some of that money does something good.

Edited by Duchess Jack

I am sure there are more... and better things... but these items have been sticking in my mind for a while now as things connected to the brokeness of America.

No more worrying about filling the war chest for the next election cycle once somebody is elected.

2) Revise Primaries.

If there are five candidates on the ballot - rate them 1-5 (with the no.1 getting 5 points and the no. 5 getting 1 point). Total the points and the highest point total wins. I think this would work against the extremist fringe of parties and it would get rid of the idea of throwing away somebody's vote. I'd like to see it in the general election as well. Maybe the first choice get's 10 and the last choice gets 2 points. Again - the middle would speak most loudly with these votes.

Nobody else gets them any longer - why should the government. It seems to be one of the larger issues tying up money. If you need to raise government worker salaries a bit to compensate - sure - but that would still be way cheaper then the whole pension thing (where people can actually 2-3 pensions). Isn't it bad enough that government workers get 1,001 days off anyway?

I think that anybody donating to a campaign - and anybody making those silly unaccountable commercials should have to donate $1 into a pool for every dollar spent on this BS. That pool should be used to make the country better. Heck, there could be something on the ballot where the 'people' can vote on where that year's election money goes. I think that this would reduce the silly amount of money going to elections and acutally make sure that some of that money does something good.

:wacko:

Its got to be a great thing to have - and I don't thnk that you can rightly take away pensions already promised - but moving forward - how can ANYBODY take issue with that (except politicians who are looking to try to take care of their own)?

I can agree with from this point on maybe, but I have over 20 years in now and this would change my retirements plans greatly if just took effect now. And we only get 10 holidays, 26 days annual leave and 13 days sick leave a year :wacko:

If I may add on:

Reform on access by lobbyists to elected officials

Public Financing of campaigns

Across the board - Reduce the budget of each department by 15% and do away with automatic annual budget increases (they need to explain to me clearly and precisely why a budget needs to be increased annually in order to receive an increase.)

Repeal the Patriot Act

Repeal the HC bill

Abolish the IRS and introduce either a flat tax or federal sales tax

Allow for Civil Unions

Secede from the UN

Divorce my wife and get me a harem of 18 to 22 YO hotties (I'm kidding)

Lower the Corporate Tax rate

Start a Manhattan project type program for developing efficient alternative fuel cars (I'm thinking hydrogen rather than electric, we gotta get people off the grid)

Complete audit of the DOD and start a new competitive bid process to get the lowest cost supplier for needed items.

Dissolve all federal employee unions

Find a manner in which to exclude riders from legislation that have nothing to do with the legislation the bill was meant to target. For instance, people will sneak a road funding earmark into a military funding bill... well if a politician doesn't vote for it because of said ear mark, then the opponent can go after them for refusing to vote for a military funding bill... We need to know what is in each bill or pirece of legislation. Yes, we may have to push through more bills and congress may have to work harder, but, goddammit, being in congress isn't supposed to be about what's good and easy for the member, rather, it is supposed to be about what is in the best interest of the US.

It's a damn shame that I would have to have the cooperation of those carpet baggers and scallywags to get this done, because none of this would ever happen

2) Revise Primaries.

I really like items 1-3, I don't care for item #4 as I think it limits speech.

If I may add on:

Across the board - Reduce the budget of each department by 15% and do away with automatic annual budget increases (they need to explain to me clearly and precisely why a budget needs to be increased annually in order to receive an increase.)

Repeal the Patriot Act

Repeal the HC bill

Allow for Civil Unions

Secede from the UN

Start a Manhattan project type program for developing efficient alternative fuel cars (I'm thinking hydrogen rather than electric, we gotta get people off the grid)

Complete audit of the DOD and start a new competitive bid process to get the lowest cost supplier for needed items.

Find a manner in which to exclude riders from legislation that have nothing to do with the legislation the bill was meant to target. For instance, people will sneak a road funding earmark into a military funding bill... well if a politician doesn't vote for it because of said ear mark, then the opponent can go after them for refusing to vote for a military funding bill... We need to know what is in each bill or pirece of legislation. Yes, we may have to push through more bills and congress may have to work harder, but, goddammit, being in congress isn't supposed to be about what's good and easy for the member, rather, it is supposed to be about what is in the best interest of the US.

It's a damn shame that I would have to have the cooperation of those carpet baggers and scallywags to get this done, because none of this would ever happen

Like all of these as well

If I may add on:

Repeal the Patriot Act

Repeal the HC bill

Allow for Civil Unions

Secede from the UN

Great stuff, mostly.

My additions:

Create equal population rectangles that grow or shrink according to population size every ten tears instead of the gerrymandering process we have now. Pay no attention to the demographics within the rectangles, only the number of people.

Amend the First Amendment to eliminate private money from elections. Replace with public funding.

Move elections to every four years for all. Stop the permanent campaign cycle.

Great stuff, mostly.

My additions:

Create equal population rectangles that grow or shrink according to population size every ten tears instead of the gerrymandering process we have now. Pay no attention to the demographics within the rectangles, only the number of people.

Amend the First Amendment to eliminate private money from elections. Replace with public funding.

This I like and should have included. I do, however, feel that Senators should be appointed by the State Govt. to six year terms. I would love to see congress move to 4 yr terms and have a two/three term limit.

Idea... We need to start the Tailgate PAC. We solicit funds from Huddle members and their friends. We then approve a candidate from the TG to run for congress, senate, state rep, gov, etc... for his/her state.

It would be an unholy, non-partisan, PAC that is promoting varying individuals for public office. It is almost fool proof. That and we would have the best annual kegger and cookout DC has ever seen. We could rule the world!!!!!!

This I like and should have included. I do, however, feel that Senators should be appointed by the State Govt. to six year terms. I would love to see congress move to 4 yr terms and have a two/three term limit.

I disagree about the Senate appointments. You're basically creating a British House of Lords where the only accountability is to the state governor (in the same analogy, is the governor to be the equivalent of the British queen?). What happens when the governor party changes? Do the two senators also get the boot?

Great stuff, mostly.

My additions:

:wacko: on eliminating gerrymandering. I like the idea of 4 year elections for all, but I would also repeal the 17th amendment. With regard to campaign financing I'm not necessarily opposed to what you suggest just not sure how you determine who gets funding, and who doesn't.

I disagree about the Senate appointments. You're basically creating a British House of Lords where the only accountability is to the state governor (in the same analogy, is the governor to be the equivalent of the British queen?). What happens when the governor party changes? Do the two senators also get the boot?

They would at the end of the term. I think this is a good idea as it would make the senators less beholden to special interests.

Well, the senators serve six year fixed terms, under my proposal, so maybe yes, maybe no. Secondly, the governor/state reps could hea about it from the voters if the were unhappy with the appointments. Finally, If the will of the state is to put a majority party in charge, then odds are the senator selected would represent said ideology... when the state sees fit to go the other way, so would the senators.

i would

1. Legalize pot , payoff the national debt in 2 years , open the border in Mexico , reduce drug related crimes by 90%

2. Start drilling for Oil in Alaska and off coast everywhere, let the Arab world tend to their own business.

3. Make lobbying illegal

4. Veto ANY bill before me that had ANY pork in it.

If I may add on:

Repeal the Patriot Act

Repeal the HC bill

Allow for Civil Unions

Secede from the UN

I like most of these. A few to add/change . .

The gerrymandering process that continually keeps the two moran parties in perpetual power has to be revised/eliminated. It is designed to crush 3rd parties, and keep the current power base in power.

The secede from the Un has to go hand in hand with a massive drawdown in military spending. The ridiculous waste by the bureacrisy is staggering. By eliminating the role of "spreading freedom and the world policeman" we can save tremendously. It isnt just giving our troops the hardware that was done by the lowest bidder, but gutting the paper pushers that siphon funds away from funding our troops in the field.

reform immigration across the board. Tougher penalites for people that support illegals, styronger deportation procedures, and building a "berlin wall" of sorts.

Reform the drug laws, mainly around Josh Gordon. This will also greatly help the illegal immigration issue, and the US can generate a LOT of additional tax revenue to tackle the spiraling deficit problems.

On a state level, start balanced budget amendments for every state, and prohibit using one time payouts to balance yearly budgets. All this does is pass the buck on for the next guy to tackle.

Eliminate mandatory pension funding for state unions. Grandfather the people in, but for the love of God fix them moving forward . .

Idea... We need to start the Tailgate PAC. We solicit funds from Huddle members and their friends. We then approve a candidate from the TG to run for congress, senate, state rep, gov, etc... for his/her state.

It would be an unholy, non-partisan, PAC that is promoting varying individuals for public office. It is almost fool proof. That and we would have the best annual kegger and cookout DC has ever seen. We could rule the world!!!!!!

:wacko:Don't nominate DMD though.

I was keeping it short, but since we're throwing other things out there...

manditory 2 year investment in the US - military or public service.

drug tests for welfare.

cut foreign aid - by 50% at least. If we need to cut a helpful program in the US - the cash should come from foreign aid instead. Love to help - but we're cash strapped.

Send illegals home. Period. If one shows up at a hospital. Sure, fix them. Whatever. Then send them home.

Do something to give tax breaks to people who buy a certain amount of goods that are made in America.

Well, the senators serve six year fixed terms, under my proposal, so maybe yes, maybe no. Secondly, the governor/state reps could hea about it from the voters if the were unhappy with the appointments. Finally, If the will of the state is to put a majority party in charge, then odds are the senator selected would represent said ideology... when the state sees fit to go the other way, so would the senators.

Here in Minnesota we had a liberal Democrat and a conservative Republican as senators at the same time. Worked very well. Minnesota often opts for split government. I don't like the idea of a governor winning a state automatically meaning that state then has two senators from the same party.

Its got to be a great thing to have - and I don't thnk that you can rightly take away pensions already promised - but moving forward - how can ANYBODY take issue with that (except politicians who are looking to try to take care of their own)?

Well, they act like they need pensions because they don't participate in social security. They forget to acknoledge that most young people aren't going to get to do anything but pay into SS so there is little benefit to the current system.

And we only get 10 holidays, 26 days annual leave and 13 days sick leave a year :tup:

I get 10 vacation days a year. If I work there for 7 years I get 15 vacation days a year. That is the most I will ever receive. :wacko:

What if tax rates were made in direct proportion to income, so rather than have a handful of tax brackets, there was some sort of rather straight forward formula that considered the nature of the income earned (self-employment, investment-related or W-2) ... and then prioritize these types of income ... making qualified decisions as to which types of income are better for America for you to be earning ...

IMO, that would be as follows:

A) Self employment income ---- this is the cash flow that allows entrepreneurs to eat and, if it is large enough, allows entrepreneurs to hire workers to come along side them, which, as everyone admits, is the back-bone of our nation (which includes income earned from rental real estate, etc.)

:wacko: Capital gains ---- this is the cash flow that results from years of hard work of managing your business affairs

C) Dividends ---- this is the ongoing byproduct of investing in other people's businesses

D) Interest income ---- this is the ongoing byproduct of loaning money to others for their business purposes

E) W-2 income ---- this is the income earned for providing services to someone elses company

So, the formula is like this:

((A / 10) + (B / 9) + (C / 8) + (D / 7) + (E / 6)) * 6 = BASE INCOME ("BI")

Deductions for:

* Average housing costs, per dependant, adjusted for regional cost of living (everyone in the same city gets the same deduction, regardless of income, so the poor get some benefit of more expensive housing that others live in; rich don't get to take huge mortgage interest deductions; does not incentivize home ownership vs. rental)

* Charitable giving

* Actual medical incurred costs (including health insurance premiums), multiplied by a ratio that equals the % of health insurance premiums paid with your own money (vs. those paid by your employer)

* Contributions to a "NO EXCEPTIONS" retirement account (i.e., one that you cannot touch for any reason at all until you are old enough to start taking medicare / SS benefits and which must be depleted in its entirity prior to receiving any medicare / SS benefits).

Then, "BI" less "deductions" = TAXABLE INCOME ("TI")

Formula for determining how much tax you owe:

TI * ______% = taxes owed to the federal government

I can agree with from this point on maybe, but I have over 20 years in now and this would change my retirements plans greatly if just took effect now. And we only get 10 holidays, 26 days annual leave and 13 days sick leave a year :wacko:

...for those playing along at home, this is the equivalent of getting 20% of the years' work days off...

To wit:

52 weeks * 5 work days / week = 260 work days per year

10 + 26 + 13 = 49 days off

49 / 260 = 18.84% of all work days are taken as your days off

...said another way...

52 weeks / year * 2 day weekends = 104 scheduled days off

104 + 49 = 153 total days off

153 / 365 = 41.9% of the year is not spent working

NOTE TO SELF: Find out if T-Bones employer is hiring.

...for those playing along at home, this is the equivalent of getting 20% of the years' work days off...

To wit:

52 weeks * 5 work days / week = 260 work days per year

10 + 26 + 13 = 49 days off

49 / 260 = 18.84% of all work days are taken as your days off

...said another way...

52 weeks / year * 2 day weekends = 104 scheduled days off

104 + 49 = 153 total days off

153 / 365 = 41.9% of the year is not spent working

NOTE TO SELF: Find out if T-Bones employer is hiring.

I work for Dept of Treasury and have as I said for over 20 years. You don't get all of those days off from jump street, it happens over time.