[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Forte/Taylor

Bronco Billy

Full disclosure: Forte owner in 2 leagues. Don't own Taylor in any leagues

How is it that Taylor's touches are going up in the past couple of weeks? Watching Taylor run is like watching an NFL version of dancing with the stars. He doesn't have good vision, he's late to the seam, and he spends a lot of time pitter-pattering rather than attacking a hole when it opens. His ypc when he gets more than 4 carries in a game this year is 2.56 ypc. His ypr is 7.14.

In the meantime, Forte is averaging 4.51 ypc in games where he gets 14 or more carries, and his ypr is 10.80.

There no real distinguishing their pass protection. It's obvious that Forte is by far the better producer and the only legit threat of the two to break a long gainer. Taylor quite frankly looks old and used up, and doesn't seem to want any part of contact any longer..

So, given the data above, how is it that Forte doesn't carry the ball 15 or more times a game - every game, as well as getting at least 5 targets minimum? Even more to the point, how in the Seven Hells is Taylor getting double digit carries the past two weeks?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think the Chicago coaching staff is just looking for some kind of spark in the running game. The OLine is so bad, they may have thought Taylor gave them a better chance to make someone miss.

I am a Forte owner as well and it frustrates the crap out of me to see a team with such a horrible offensive scheme. Forte is a legit RB in a real NFL offense. On the Bears, he is a huge waste of talent. Barry Sanders couldn't run behind that line.....

Edited by lkirc

The Bears did have 130 yards rushing last weekend. What have they been doing before that?

Here it is...

Opponent, yards rushing

Det, 101

Dal, 38

GB, 77

NYG, 59

Car, 218

Sea, 61

Was, 66

Buf, 105

Min, 130

Yep - reinforces my point. Taylor has contributed 46 yds rushing of the 235 yds rushing logged the past two weeks - and it took him 21 carries to get those 46 yds.

What exactly is CHI seeing in Taylor that justifies increasing his workload?

I believe BBs #'s and they are a bit of a surprise. Every time I watch Forte run, he goes down at the first contact. Watching Taylor run last week I actually saw a Bears RB break some tackles for the first time since 2008. It's been a small sample I've seen this year, but Forte's fantasy value clearly comes from his receptions and yards off those more so than his rushing.

Still, I would never have thought it would breakdown like BB has done so.

Edited by Pope Flick

I believe BBs #'s and they are a bit of a surprise. Every time I watch Forte run, he goes down at the first contact. Watching Taylor run last week I actually saw a Bears RB break some tackles for the first time since 2008. It's been a small sample I've seen this year, but Forte's fantasy value clearly comes from his receptions and yards off those more so than his rushing.

Still, I would never have thought it would breakdown like BB has done so.

+1 to all this. I'm sure the Bears have simply had enough of Forte's inability to do anything when rushing other than fall down. They turned to Taylor and, IIRC, said he would get the goal line work as well as increased load.

If you were surprised by the numbers before, check out last nights numbers:

Forte: 25 carries, 97 yds, 1 TD 2 catches 7 yds

Taylor: 11 carries 10 yds 0 catches

I'm not sure which Bears' team you two are watching, because I'm seeing different Forte & Taylor play than you two seem to be.

Nice to see Forte hit 25 carries though, and it paid off as CHI kept pounding MIA. Can't argue Taylor getting doubl digit carries when Forte gets that kind of work, though it would probably serve CHI better to let Cutler run the ball instead of Taylor. It also limits Cutler's passing mistakes.

When you have two RBs combine for 36 carries and only gain 107 yards (plus you get your QB sacked 3 times in 25 attempts), that's an O-Line problem. I think both Forte & Taylor could be solid producers on another team (not super-studs, but solid producers), but Chicago's OL is trr-ible.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched every snap of the Lions-Bears game. I asked myself the same question.

Forte

13 carries, 64 yards (4.9 avg), Lng 17, 1 TD

2 recs, 38 yards (18 avg), Lng 20

Taylor

9 carries, 33 yards (3.7 avg) Lng 9, 1 TD

5 receptions, 31 yards (6 avg) , Lng 9

I think that Forte sat out entire series, or big chunks of them, so its not like they were only handing it to Taylor on short yardage plays.

Season stats:

NAME			ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN Matt Forte	   177 748 4.2 68  5  5   62.3   0   0   27 Chester Taylor	91 246 2.7 24  1  2   20.5   0   0   13

NAME		 REC TAR YDS AVG TD LONG 20+ YDS/G FUM FUML YAC 1DN Matt Forte	  36  48 389 10.8 3  89  3  32.4   3   2   351  16 Chester Taylor  19  24 131 6.9  0  18  0  10.9   0   0   97   6

Forte is not a great back, but he is markedly better than Taylor and infinitely more "explosive."

I'm voting for the Bears being in the "let's save Matt for the playoffs" mode, giving Chester more carries now to keep Forte fresh in the playoff stretch.

With their schedule - NYJ, @MIN, NEP, @GBP, that would be presumption on a grand scale.