[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers injury thread

JUMbotron

Ryan Mathews returned to practice Wednesday. The official report (limited or full) isn't available yet from the West coast.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/de...ews-practicing/

Mathews has a chance to play but my personal hunch is he'll be very limited or even held out one more week. I could be wrong.

Mike Tolbert sat, presumably to rest his injured hand. We all saw Tolbert finish the Colts game like a beast (I even saw him giving bear hugs after his TD, no hand injury detected) so I suspect it's just Tolbert getting well-earned rest.

Malcom Floyd did not practice. He's re-tweaked that hammy and isn't a healthy player.

Antonio Gates (foot) did not practice.

Vincent Jackson (calf) did not practice and will miss Week 13, 14, and maybe longer.

LB Stephen Cooper (knee) did not practice.

Edited by JUMbotron

I don't think Mathews produces any viable numbers this year.

I dropped him last week; he was immediately picked up and I was told "Watch your first round pick beat you in the playoffs." Yes, I picked him up at 1.10. :wacko:

What is the best case scenario for Mathews if he is 100%? Splitting reps with Tolbert with no goal line touches and less than half the catches out of the backfield with Sproles?

I think a healthy Tolbert has earned the right to carry the load on early downs, maybe Matthews offers change-of-pace at this point? Nothing wrong with 2 fresh backs heading into the playoff stretch.

As for fantasy, I'm riding Tolbert this week unless Turner announces some crazy backfield change. Either way the Oakland matchup is one of the best for any runner this week.

Tolbert has totally saved my season. I had two must-wins the past two weeks against tough teams, both of which I barely won. He's my third RB behind AP and Charles and has outscored them both the past two games.

Can I get another witness from the congregation??!?!! Amen brother!

No real viable RB options when I picked him off WW while he was on bye, hoping for this. Norv is no dummy. Tolbert is the #1 RB in SD right now, and pretty much said as much when he commented on how Tolbert and rest of the offense have a great respect for each other (paraphrasing there). I have to believe today was a day of rest for him.

I'm on the Tolbert Truck, honkin' the horn of the big Mack rig he's driving through the o-line.

:wacko:

Can I get another witness from the congregation??!?!! Amen brother!

No real viable RB options when I picked him off WW while he was on bye, hoping for this. Norv is no dummy. Tolbert is the #1 RB in SD right now, and pretty much said as much when he commented on how Tolbert and rest of the offense have a great respect for each other (paraphrasing there). I have to believe today was a day of rest for him.

I'm on the Tolbert Truck, honkin' the horn of the big Mack rig he's driving through the o-line.

:wacko:

When Mathews first went out, I tried selling high on Tolbert when he had his biggest output in week 4. Even after he scored five weeks in a row, no one wanted him, not even the Mathews owner. Obviously, I didn't have much faith in him, since I was trying to trade him. Glad I didn't.

In my opinion the bottom line is this:

Gates and Floyd play but their touches will be limited. Start either one at your own risk.

Tolbert will be healthy enough to play without restriction and will be the only Charger RB to have any fantasy value.

Mathews will play enough to spell Tolbert from time to time but not enough to produce very much fantasy-wise.

And...for all you IDP guys...Cooper plays without limitation.

In my opinion the bottom line is this:

Gates and Floyd play but their touches will be limited. Start either one at your own risk.

Tolbert will be healthy enough to play without restriction and will be the only Charger RB to have any fantasy value.

Mathews will play enough to spell Tolbert from time to time but not enough to produce very much fantasy-wise.

And...for all you IDP guys...Cooper plays without limitation.

This :wacko:

Good job doc! :tup:

Dec. 4 Saturday

Eric Padaon of Bolts Beat says:

Patrick Crayton and Antonio Gates are ruled OUT for the game. We will have to attack the Raider defense without our All-World Tight End.

http://boltbeat.com/

I gotta say, I have like 200 different news sites, blogs and twitter pages in my files and I don't recall Bolts Beat ever breaking anything over the years.

That said, no one would be surprised if Gates was out. No one.

Edited by JUMbotron

rolling with Shiancoe instead

With elite TEs going down (or their QBs getting benched) TEs have become kickers. I'm facing Shank this week, Boss went off waivers, heck I even dressed Dreeson over Davis.

Well here's hoping Tolbert plays a big roll this week.

Dec. 4 Saturday

Eric Padaon of Bolts Beat says:

Patrick Crayton and Antonio Gates are ruled OUT for the game. We will have to attack the Raider defense without our All-World Tight End.

http://boltbeat.com/

I gotta say, I have like 200 different news sites, blogs and twitter pages in my files and I don't recall Bolts Beat ever breaking anything over the years.

That said, no one would be surprised if Gates was out. No one.

I have not seen him reported as out anywhere else. And I would be mildly surprised if he didn't play. He played last week, practiced Friday, and is a warrior. The only thing that wouldn't surprise about him sitting is I'm sure he thinks they can beat Oak at home without him AND they have a division leader matchup next week against KC in SD. Sure he wants to be as healthy as possible for that one.

So like I said above, I can see him sitting (because of the reasons I just mentioned) I just don't see them making that statement on Saturday night. Not sure why they would. Never have before. Always a couple of hours prior to kickoff that he will, or won't, play.

Edited by giantsfan

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora is reporting that Antonio Gates' (questionable, foot) apparent downgrade to OUT on the Chargers' official website is incorrect.

La Canfora suspects that Gates will test his foot in warmups before making a decision on whether or not to play. Gates owners should have a backup plan such as Randy McMichael in place. The Chargers play at 4:00 ET, so make sure the contingency plan does not have a 1:00 ET game.

Because of the injuries, I figured Naanee was in for a decent game, so I started him ... in two leagues. :tup:

Naanee pulled up lame in the game and did not finish. He was not effective anyway. None of the Charger WRs are worth a start right now. None of them are healthy and those that are just don't have the experience to get the separation they need against even an average defense to be a consistent factor.

Gates at 50% is still worth a play, but even then, the question as to if he will play every week makes it hard to trust him.

The Chargers are done for the year as far as a run at a championship and the WR position is the central focus of this in my mind, even if they sneak, somehow, into the post-season.

Too many injuries, unknowns and inexperience! :wacko: