[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Stanton an S2?

Furd

Don't let his halfway decent statsfrom the NYG fool you. 87 of his 222 yards passing and the TD came on one play where the Giants secondary botched their coverage and Johnson strolled into the endzone.

The dude is awful and the Bears are going to eat him alive.

I don't get how you can rank him the same as Brady, Manning, Brees and others.

:wacko:

Don't let his halfway decent statsfrom the NYG fool you. 87 of his 222 yards passing and the TD came on one play where the Giants secondary botched their coverage and Johnson strolled into the endzone.

+1

Furd-

The S2 must have been a remnant from Hill the previous week that didn't get edited properly. As the writeup states, Stanton is no starter; all you're hoping for is that he doesn't kill Megatron's fantasy value. Wheels are in motion to make the correction. Good catch.

2V

Furd-

The S2 must have been a remnant from Hill the previous week that didn't get edited properly. As the writeup states, Stanton is no starter; all you're hoping for is that he doesn't kill Megatron's fantasy value. Wheels are in motion to make the correction. Good catch.

2V

Got it.

If you had to hear all the ""You gotta give Drew a chance" slappys on the radio, you'd be a little touchy about Stanton too.

Not to mention that after Stanton was drafted at pick #43 in the second round of the 2007 draft, these guys went: 44-Sidney Rice; 46 - Lamar Woodley (a Michigan man, no less); 47 - David Harris (another Michigan man); and 51 - Steve Smith (NYG).

Megatron has caught TD passes from the likes of Matt Stafford, Shaun Hill, Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, Daunte Culpepper (the non-Moss/Vikings version), J.T. O'Sullivan, and, the man of the hour, Drew Stanton. While Drew Stanton might not be an "NFL caliber" QB, he knows how to butter his bread. Calvin will get his, one way or another. Start him with confidence, but don't expect the 101 and 3 he put up on Washington with Stafford at the helm. Starting Drew with confidence? Well, that's a whole other matter. If you're satisfied with the 1 TD and 75 yards he'll throw to Calvin, the 75 he'll throw to other receivers, and the 35 rushing yards he'll get running for his life, then, by all means, start him.

Got it.

If you had to hear all the ""You gotta give Drew a chance" slappys on the radio, you'd be a little touchy about Stanton too.

Not to mention that after Stanton was drafted at pick #43 in the second round of the 2007 draft, these guys went: 44-Sidney Rice; 46 - Lamar Woodley (a Michigan man, no less); 47 - David Harris (another Michigan man); and 51 - Steve Smith (NYG).

To be fair, Woodley & Harris were drafted by and excel with teams that run 3-4 defenses. You can't really blame the Lions for passing on guys they would have had to force into a defensive system that didn't fit the players' abilities. You can blame them for passing on OTHER guys for Stanton, but not really those two. As for Rice, do we really know that he's anything more than a busted hip and a wingman for Favre in his greatest season ever? Steve Smith? Ok, that might have been a mistake.

I'm one of the "You gotta' give Drew a chance" club. He was drafted (ok, not by this regime) in the 2nd round and has played in 9 career games with 1 career start. The pick and the money have already been spent, you might as well give him a LEGITIMATE chance to prove whether he's an NFL QB or not. I think anybody who either drinks his Kool-Aid (Sparty homers) or thinks he should be run out of the league on rail (just about everyone else) are operating on far too small a sample size. Wha'd'ya' say we give the guy a couple of games before we bring the gavel down on one side or the other?

Hillis is called 'unbenchable' (how often do you see that, much less at RB) and he's STILL ONLY an S2.

Kinda weird ranks this week.

Okay, but if you look at the Start/Bench position list, there are only 4 RBs listed as S1s: AP, SJax, Charles, and Forte. So, if you happen to have two of those guys AND Hillis, then maybe you could consider sitting Hillis this week. Otherwise, he is "unbenchable." I don't really see the issue.

To be fair, Woodley & Harris were drafted by and excel with teams that run 3-4 defenses. You can't really blame the Lions for passing on guys they

I'm one of the "You gotta' give Drew a chance" club. He was drafted (ok, not by this regime) in the 2nd round and has played in 9 career games with 1 career start. The pick and the money have already been spent, you might as well give him a LEGITIMATE chance to prove whether he's an NFL QB or not. I think anybody who either drinks his Kool-Aid (Sparty homers) or thinks he should be run out of the league on rail (just about everyone else) are operating on far too small a sample size. Wha'd'ya' say we give the guy a couple of games before we bring the gavel down on one side or the other?

He's terrible.

another over hyped QB from Mich. St. - this may need fixing ...

SEASON QUARTERBACKS

2009-10 Kirk Cousins, Keith Nichol

2008-09 Brian Hoyer; Kirk Cousins

2007-08 Brian Hoyer

2006-07 Drew Stanton

2005-06 Drew Stanton

2004-05 Drew Stanton

2003-04 Jeff Smoker

2002-03 Jeff Smoker

2001-02 Jeff Smoker

2000-01 Jeff Smoker

1999-00 Bill Burke

1998-99 Bill Burke

1997-98 Todd Schultz

1996-97 Todd Schultz

1995-96 Tony Banks

1994-95 Tony Banks

1993-94 Jim Miller

1992-93 Jim Miller

1991-92 Jim Miller

1990-91 Dan Enos

1989-90 Dan Enos

1988-89 Bobby McAllister

1987-88 Bobby McAllister

1986-87 Dave Yarema

1985-86 Dave Yarema

1984-85 Dave Yarema

1983-84 Clark Brown; Dave Yarema

1982-83 John Leister

1981-82 Bryan Clark

1980-81 John Leister

1979-80 Bryan, Clark; Bert Vaughn

1978-79 Eddie Smith; Bert Vaughn

Okay, but if you look at the Start/Bench position list, there are only 4 RBs listed as S1s: AP, SJax, Charles, and Forte. So, if you happen to have two of those guys AND Hillis, then maybe you could consider sitting Hillis this week. Otherwise, he is "unbenchable." I don't really see the issue.

Hillis is having a better year than all 4 you mentioned. If he's 'unbenchable' then it stands to reason he'd be an S1. Just my two cents, no need to throw the thread off track.

Wha'd'ya' say we give the guy a couple of games before we bring the gavel down on one side or the other?

Well, I've not seen anything out of the guy to think that he is even a backup QB in this league. Apparently, the Lions coaches (who, while perhaps not the greatest talent evaluators, see the guy in practice every day) don't see much in the guy either.

Dudes get cut every year without playing in a single game that counts. What makes Stanton so special that the Lions should "give the guy a couple of games?"

Edited by Furd

Well, I've not seen anything out of the guy to think that he is even a backup QB in this league. Apparently, the Lions coaches (who, while perhaps not the greatest talent evaluators, see the guy in practice every day) don't see much in the guy either.

Dudes get cut every year without playing in a single game that counts. What makes Stanton so special that the Lions should "give the guy a couple of games?"

And Stanton isn't one of them. That oughta' tell you something right there. He's looked good enough in practice/pre-season(s) that a regime with no reason to be loyal to him has kept him around (I don't know how you can conclude that the coaches don't see anything in him when they've had every opportunity to cut him and go with someone else). Remember, too, that I didn't say "give him a couple games" just for the sake of giving him a couple games. I said give him a couple before you, as a fan, pass judgment. Doesn't seem unreasonable. Nothing makes him "so special," but here are a few reasons why he should start a couple games: A - he's the #3 QB and the two QBs above him on the depth chart are hurt; B - he has been with the team for multiple seasons and, therefore, C - he knows the offense better than any street free agent they can bring in; D - they've already invested the money and the pick in him (and his rookie contract is running out soon), might as well see whether the investment may pay dividends or if it's time to cut losses; E - his teammates have his back (http://www.thelionsinwinter.com/2010/12/drew-stanton-detroit-lions-starting.html#comments). But, yeah, go ahead and sign Josh McCown or throw Hill back out there with a busted finger. I'm sure that'll work out worlds better.

I just think it's ridiculous for any fan to sit in his/her easy chair and judge a QB (positively or negatively) based on 9 games, 1 start, and 104 pass attempts. Even assuming said fan has seen every one of those attempts, that's just too small a sample. Steve Young had 3 TDs & 8 picks in his first 138 attempts. I am NOT saying Drew Stanton is anything like Steve Young, just saying you can't judge so early. Bet the Bucs wish they had given him a legit chance to show what he could do before they shipped him off to San Fran and football immortality, though.

Hillis is having a better year than all 4 you mentioned. If he's 'unbenchable' then it stands to reason he'd be an S1. Just my two cents, no need to throw the thread off track.

No problem. My point was just that a guy can be both an S2 and "unbenchable." Those ratings, as I understand them, are mostly about match-ups and related stat projections. If Hillis was simply listed as S1 every week, does that mean his owners should expect the 131 and 3 he got against Carolina every game (I'm pretty sure he was rated as S1 last week)? Obviously not. An S2 rating doesn't mean "scramble to find an S1 to start instead" or "strongly consider benching this guy." It just means "temper your expectations a little because this isn't a cupcake match-up."

I wouldn't trust Stanton...esp this week. I went and picked up Kerry Collins to replace him. I think Collins has a decent day against JAGs.

I hope Calvin goes off though.

Please tell me I'm missing something here because this is the most troublesome post in this thread to me.

Are you saying you had/have Stanton on your fantasy team?