[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a truck for my building engineer . . . .

bpwallace49

So I am buying a vehicle for my building engineer that has to make routine trips to the hardware store, paint store, etc. The company was paying him mileage reimbursement, but that still doesnt fully account for the wear and tear on his van.

Researching trucks right now like the ol reliable Ford F-150, etc. He will be hauling everything from lumber to hardware to paint to moving cases of water/soda and boxes of documents to our off site storage facility.

Any input from the guys in the construction/handyman trades? What has worked for you? Looking to keep this until it dies, looking for used, and not really locked into a price as of yet (at least, it has to be under the 35K I have left in my capital spending budget for the fiscal year). I was hoping to keep it around 13-18K if possible . . .

See if you can find something like an off-lease regular cab 2wd long bed. Your requirements might be a little tough, though, since the typical "work truck" tends to be ridden hard, put up wet and not let go of until driven into the ground. You might actually be better off finding one with 100K miles, 5 or so years old that's really clean and really well taken care of. Ask most of the folks on these boards - Ford or GM, neither will give you much trouble until you get closer to 200K. And if you're buying 2wd, you should be able to get one in the $5K range.

See if you can find something like an off-lease regular cab 2wd long bed. Your requirements might be a little tough, though, since the typical "work truck" tends to be ridden hard, put up wet and not let go of until driven into the ground. You might actually be better off finding one with 100K miles, 5 or so years old that's really clean and really well taken care of. Ask most of the folks on these boards - Ford or GM, neither will give you much trouble until you get closer to 200K. And if you're buying 2wd, you should be able to get one in the $5K range.

Hmm . . . thanks! This will not be ridden on anything but pavement, and will not do any towing or massive weight hauling. Mainly trips to stores and moving bulky, but not heavy, loads. 2WD should be just fine.

All of our work trucks are F-150s, but we don't do much hauling. If you do much hauling, you might be better off looking at a F-250 that is diesel. It has been our experience that the Fords hold up better than the GM products. You can get a F-150 for about $20,000 new and a F-250 for about $26,000 new. Good luck finding a used one. There aren't any around here unless they are very lightly used, and thanks to incentives they cost about the same as the new ones.

My next personal vehicle will be a F-250 Crew Cab with the 6.7L Diesel, that is how much I like them. The main reason for this is I've been doing a lot of hauling of hunting vehicles the last couple of years since I've really gotten back into hunting and the spare F-150 just isn't quite heavy enough to do this on a regular basis.

All of our work trucks are F-150s, but we don't do much hauling. If you do much hauling, you might be better off looking at a F-250 that is diesel. It has been our experience that the Fords hold up better than the GM products. You can get a F-150 for about $20,000 new and a F-250 for about $26,000 new. Good luck finding a used one. There aren't any around here unless they are very lightly used, and thanks to incentives they cost about the same as the new ones.

My next personal vehicle will be a F-250 Crew Cab with the 6.7L Diesel, that is how much I like them. The main reason for this is I've been doing a lot of hauling of hunting vehicles the last couple of years since I've really gotten back into hunting and the spare F-150 just isn't quite heavy enough to do this on a regular basis.

There are a LOT of used F-150 and F-250s in the Chicago area . . . seeing some with 70K miles, 5-6 years old for 9K. Good to know about the long term durability! Thanks!

There are a LOT of used F-150 and F-250s in the Chicago area . . . seeing some with 70K miles, 5-6 years old for 9K. Good to know about the long term durability! Thanks!

If I was going to get one with 70K miles on it, I'd probably go ahead and get the F-250 diesel. It gives you more versatility and it will last longer.

If the truck is going to haul a lot of lumber and any given time, bump up to the 3/4 ton (250 in Ford, 2500 in GM). I'd stay away from Dodge, especially used. My buddy is a mobile mechanic and does a ton of work replacing Dodge rear ends and differentials.

I prefer the Fords based on my experience with many vehicles, but my '99 Chev has been solid too.

Something like that is probably right in your wheelhouse. If it's retail, I'd knock at least $2,500 off the first price quoted and be prepared to walk away at least once if needed. And I WOULD make sure it's a long bed/long wheelbase/8 ft box. SOOOOO much more useful for lumber.

If you are in the Chicago area, and based on the use you are talking about, just get the F150. Get a 4 wheel drive for getting around easier in the winter. Make sure it has the extended cab, cause he can throw small stuff back there in case of rain that you don't want getting wet. You can get an 04 or 05 for no more than 15,000. Heck, probably no more than 12,000. No need for the long bed. If he's going for lumber occasionally, the 6 foot bed will be fine.

This.

But being in Chicago you might just want that 4x4 drive in the winter. And the extended cab definitely.

I have a Ford Ranger that I use for Maint, hauling and whatever else is needed. If lumber is an issue just get a lumber rack. Got mine used for $100, also great for ladders, drywall ect. The one thing i do regret is not having an extended cab for bad, rainy weather. Put a tool box in the back but it filled up fast. Great gas mileage, easy to park, great for getting into and out of small places but can still haul a decent load.

If you are in the Chicago area, and based on the use you are talking about, just get the F150. Get a 4 wheel drive for getting around easier in the winter. Make sure it has the extended cab, cause he can throw small stuff back there in case of rain that you don't want getting wet. You can get an 04 or 05 for no more than 15,000. Heck, probably no more than 12,000. No need for the long bed. If he's going for lumber occasionally, the 6 foot bed will be fine.

I drive a Silverado, but some of my buddies have F150s and they are good trucks from what I hear/see. And I definitely agree with CD that 4x4 and extended cab are a must. Standard box would most likely be all BP's guy would need, too.