[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

12 Team Leagues - 4 Playoff Spots

Jimmy_22

I play in a non-money Yahoo league just for fun with some online dudes, but I gotta tell ya, only having 4 playoff spots out of 12 kinda blows. IMO, it creates non-parity by teams tanking (or not caring) after they know they're out. Unfair for others late in the season.

Your thoughts......

I prefer having only four teams in the playoffs in a larger money league. I like bigger payouts. Why should mediocre teams get a chance to get hot and take the big $$$$$? I like teams having to earn their way in. Not a big fan of the top scoring #1 seed losing to a 6-8 team that squeaked into the playoffs.

I play in a couplea free Yahoo leagues with guys form a Raider board I hang out at, and for some reason they're both 12 team/4 playoff team leagues... not sure why, they're free and we're all buds so why not spread the fun?

I don't like them becasue if you start slow you can be outta postseason contention very early, which makes the league suck for the most part.

6 teams is the way to go IMO.

Edited by byron2112

My main money league is 12/8 with the last four playing for the first pick in next years draft. Keeps everyone playing all year long.

As for the free yahoo stuff, I don't get too caught up as it's just for fun - but only four playoff teams suck. I'd be in favor of 6 with the first two getting bye's.

Most of my 12 team leagues have 6 playoff spots (one has 4), seems to be about right for me. My work league went from 16 to 14 teams this year and they all voted tonot look for replacement player and expand the playoff teams to 8. Not sure I'm a fan.

To me unless you have some good owners, 4 playoff spots kinda rules out a few teams early, which means they may just go thru the motions by mid-season.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

4 out of 12 is a third of the teams. to me, that is appropriate. having half or more make the playoffs waters down the regular season significantly.

and it just so happens that kit works out really well with a 14 week schedule. 3 divisions of 4, each team plays the other 3 division teams twice (6 games) and the other 8 teams once, then a two week playoff.

4 out of 12 is a third of the teams. to me, that is appropriate. having half or more make the playoffs waters down the regular season significantly.

and it just so happens that kit works out really well with a 14 week schedule. 3 divisions of 4, each team plays the other 3 division teams twice (6 games) and the other 8 teams once, then a two week playoff.

In the 12-team redraft in which I'm commissioner, we have that format -- three divisions of four teams, four-team playoffs during weeks 15 and 16. It's the first year we've done this. Because of the randomness of fantasy football, the four lowest-scoring teams ended up in the same division (our very own NFC West). Because each division winner automatically advances to the playoffs, we ended up with a 7-7 team playing for the big money. Six other teams have better records, but only three of them made the playoffs. (I finished 8-6 but lost out on the wildcard due to tie-breakers.) Needless to say, it has caused some strife. I love the format -- I'm not a fan of bye weeks during the playoffs -- but the 7-7 owner kind of phoned it in this year and still gets to play for first prize. Kinda blows.

My 14 team money league has the top 4 teams make the main playoffs for the big money and then the next for teams playoff for two other paying spots. 6 teams get paid in all along with $20 a week for high scorer throughout the regular season.

IMO, there is just too much luck involved in FF to justify the 4 team playoff (in a 12 team league). The only determining factor in a winning season, in head to head leagues is points scored against (which has nothing to do with how your own team performed). A team can be in the top third of the league in points scored and have a record at or barely over .500. Why else would it be so common for a top-seeded team to lose in the first round unless there was no substantial difference between them?

I think these teams ought to make the playoffs for the reasons stated above, but also to keep more teams interested as the season progresses.

People saying only four should make it because "If you play good all season you will make it." This might not be the case

In head to head, there is such a high variance. I was the highest point scorer in the league, with the most points agaisnt and ended up 7-6. I was the third seed but, the 2nd lowest points scorer ended up in 2nd with the fewest points agaisnt, even tho he had like 2 weeks worth of points less.

Even in our league where 6 teams made it, the person with the 4th most points didn't make it. You can't just say play good and you'll make it imo.

In a 12 team league 6 places is a good amount.

To the arguement "you don't want some 6-8 team winning" well this happens in real sports all the time, with lower seeds getting hot and making a nice run. Also maybe the 6-8 team has more points than some of the playoff teams just happened to have a lot more points against.

I play in a non-money Yahoo league just for fun with some online dudes, but I gotta tell ya, only having 4 playoff spots out of 12 kinda blows. IMO, it creates non-parity by teams tanking (or not caring) after they know they're out. Unfair for others late in the season.

Your thoughts......

#1 - Don't play in a Yahoo league

#2 - Don't play in a free league

#3 - Free leagues suck

#4 - See #3

#5 - See #4

#6 - See #5

#7 - See #6

#8 - See #7

#9 - See #8

#10 - See #9

#11 - See #10

#12 - See #11

#13 - See #12

#14 - See #13

#15 - See #14

For a 12-team league I would argue for either an 8-team playoff or a 7-team playoff with the first place team drawing a first round bye.

8 teams? What? That's way too many. Why don't we give out participation certificates too, so everyone gets something.

I play in 12 team leagues that have 6 team playoffs and 4 team playoffs. I have found advantages to both. A 6 team includes more folks. A 4 team means that we play up until week 14 in the regular season, and I have more time to improve my record. Of course, it also means I have more time to falter. Personally, I prefer 6 teams, so more owners stay involved.

The only want to keep the other guys engaged is to have them contribute into a pot for the Toliet Bowl or give them extra league money or something.