[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BURIED in Snow!

Rovers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems outside of Chicago . . :tup:

My daughter and her Fiance had a flight into Bahston @ 5:45pm yesterday. CANCELED! They rearranged and got a flight out at 2:45pm and got to Bahston no problem. I wonder if they'll get home on time Sunday? :wacko:

FWIW...a friend of mine called and said his Bro said (lives near Bahston) they have 24" and it's still snowing. :lol: TRUE?

I'd understand that, but if they run more trains throughout the night, that would keep the rail fairly clean, IMO. I just don't know the logistics.

Limited number of work trains and the crews are specially trained... one passenger train engineer isn't qualified or trained to operate a work train. It's a very different discipline. Then the NTSB won't allow them to work longer than 12 hours,a federal safety law. The work trains also move pretty slowly. Then there are the switches, a million of them. They have heating elements, but if one fails, it has to be shoveled out by hand. Then they will put a fire pot on the switch until they can replace the element.

Trains not in a barn have to be hand shoveled with plastic shovels if the snow is deep enough. Even between cars, it has to be shoveled out. They will use the river tunnels to store as many trains over night as they can. It's a logistical nightmare.

Running trains all night doesn't work. Aside from the cost and extra people needed, the rail gets hot. If it's still snowing, it freezes on the rail after it cools making the removal proccess worse. Snow is a problem on any third rail system. Unless the snow is removed, there is a shock possibility for anyone walking the roadbed.

You have a legit gripe when rain shuts them down though. That could be avoided entirely. It always floods in the same places. All they need are some pumps placed in those areas.

Any big storm is going to cause delays and cancellations. Bottom line, they won't fly when it isn't safe, they won't run trains until it's safe too. They aren't buses. Operating a train in these conditions sucks. You can easilly slide right out of a station, so you have to operate more slowly. You want to know what train engineers hate the most? Leaves in the fall. They leave an oily residue that makes the rails very slippery. Very easy to over shoot a station, and if you do, there is hell to pay.

My daughter and her Fiance had a flight into Bahston @ 5:45pm yesterday. CANCELED! They rearranged and got a flight out at 2:45pm and got to Bahston no problem. I wonder if they'll get home on time Sunday? :wacko:

FWIW...a friend of mine called and said his Bro said (lives near Bahston) they have 24" and it's still snowing. :tup: TRUE?

Parts of Connecticut and MA got almost 3 feet.

I can't remeber what the two letter post office abreviation for Connecticut is, but I remember how to spell Connecticut. I think my wiring is different.

We got a good bit of snow on Sunday/Monday... Shut us down through Wednesday, for the most part. Still snow blanketing the ground, roads seem to be pretty good. Gotta love Atlanta, if there is any significant accumulation followed by cold weather, you get three days off.

• 2 weeks later...
Another foot on the way here, I can't wait to get the hell out of NE for a weekend in Florida, this crap better not cancel my plane

Florida is getting some awful storms with high wind velocities...

Big deal, I saw a kid walking to the school bus stop wearing shorts all last week too. Not exactly the brightest thing to do during the coldest week of the year but :tup:

:wacko: We get this all the time, dumbazz parents just let their kids go to school in whatever, even if it's tit-poppin' cold.

Got about 15 inches on top of the 3 we got two days ago. Record breaking January snowfall, and that doesn't include the Christmas blizzard. I've never been a gun owner, but I may have to buy one soon. What would be good for shooting out snow plow tires?

Got about 15 inches on top of the 3 we got two days ago. Record breaking January snowfall, and that doesn't include the Christmas blizzard. I've never been a gun owner, but I may have to buy one soon. What would be good for shooting out snow plow tires?

Winchester 7 Mag. It'll take down polar bears, also.

Ha! My son wore shorts to school today. :wacko:

Just went to subway to get some processed meat for lunch. Girl in front of me, 18/19 yo, booty shorts, nice legs, neck tattoo, and wearing boots that looked like she had stuffed her feet into the anus of two Samoyeds (they came up damn near to her knees)... Meth is a hell of a drug, I think she was an aspiring stripper at one of those clubs where when you go into the back room with a 20 you come out with a script for an antibiotic. Oh, and its about 50 here.

We got 11 inches. I told my wife that if I laid on my back while fully erect and 11 inches of snow fell on top of me, she could still clearly see the head poking through. She laughed and laughed, because she knows it's true.

Yer pretty fat then, I take it. :wacko: