[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers vs. Ravens

Menudo

Against The Spread  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins against the spread ?

• PIT (-3)
    • BAL (+3)
  2. 2. Who wins the game ?

• PIT
    • BAL

This is definitely NOT the team that I wanted to play, if I could choose. I would have rather played the Chiefs or Colts, but, from an entertainment standpoint, this is a perfect match-up. With all due respect to other league rivalries, I think this as good as, if not better, than all of them. These teams play a similar, hard-nosed style of football. There will be a lot of hard hits, a lot of pushing and shoving, and a lot of smack talk. There is a lot of dislike between these two teams, but, there is also a lot of respect for one another. The Steelers sent the Ravens packing in the AFC Championship game two years ago, and I know that they would love to get revenge at Heinz Field on Saturday.

My friend told me that over the last 15 games in this rivalry, the Steelers lead 8-7, but, both teams have scored the exact amount of points in those 15 games. That is pretty amazing. In the first game this year, the Steelers, playing at home, without Roethlisberger, let the game slip away and gave up a game-winning TD drive, giving the Ravens a come from behind 3 point victory. In the meeting in Baltimore, ,the Ravens let a win slip away, as Troy Polamalu caused a late fumble, leading to a game-winning TD and giving the Steelers a 3 point come from behind victory.

Needless to say, these teams are about as even as even gets. I would be extremely surprised if this game didn't come right down to the wire again. The Ravens looked great in their playoff victory last week, especially in the 2nd half. The Steelers also looked great in their last game, as they destroyed the Browns. The Steelers got a week of to rest, but, I've seen that work well for them (2 years ago vs. SD) & work poorly for them (Ben's first year vs. NYJ), so, who know how that will play out. I think the key to this game from a Steelers perspective is the offensive line play. The offensive line has continued to improve over the last two years, but, with several injuries and a lack of continuity, they are still below average, in my opinion. The Steelers need to be able to run the ball a bit, and protect Roethlisberger. The Ravens can be run on, and the Steelers need to find some success in the running game. The Steelers have weapons on offense, and if the offensive line does a decent job, I think the Steelers can move the football against the Ravens. On the other side of the ball, the Steelers need to put constant pressure on Flacco. Like the Steelers, the Ravens have lots of weapons on offense. The Steelers have been phenomenal stopping the run, they definitely need to keep that going in this game. If Rice & McGahee are able to have any success running the ball, the Steelers will be in trouble.

I'm hoping that the Steelers feed off the energy from the home crowd and pull out the win in what is likely to be a battle down to the bitter end....... my pick: The Steelers win on a late TD drive.

Steelers 24

Ravens 23

I think you are pretty close to the mark there. It's a coin toss. Steelers slight edge for home field. ATS, it has to be Baltimore for me as well. I trust Big Ben more than I trust Flacco in the big game, but no way do I lay 3 on it. Gimme the points!!

Good analysis Menudo.

I think Baltimore wins this game; just a gut feeling.

My gut gets nervous just thinking about this game. I know it will be a gut-wrenching, back and fourth battle to the end.

It's better than Christmas morning.

This game starts off our local fantasy payout party, and the best part about my league is how we spread out the payments. With over $2000 in, you would expect the champion to take home a ton...I am taking home 1/5th of that for winning this year.

There is over $300 for Lou Malnati's butter crust pizzas on the way.

This game has $120 up for grabs in pre-paid squares out of the free agent fund....so....

Here's what I think is going on here. Both defensive teams are incredible. Both of the teams on offense are pretty much equal, so I think it comes down to who will catch a break, and who will make a play. Both QB's are money in this situation. Flacco is only getting better and better, where Big Ben is really good...I give the upside edge to Flacco. The ground game is equal, but Baltimore has more depth and interchangeability, so I give them a slight edge. WR crew, in my mind, it comes down to Wallace vs. Boldin, and I take Boldin.

This is a coin toss as stated by the writer who needs to finally change his picture.

BAL - 23

PIT - 21

ETA: had to change the name to properly reflect the goodness Lou Malnati's is.

Edited by gilthorp

It's better than Christmas morning.

This game starts off our local fantasy payout party, and the best part about my league is how we spread out the payments. With over $2000 in, you would expect the champion to take home a ton...I am taking home 1/5th of that for winning this year.

There is over $300 for Lou Maltati's butter crust pizzas on the way.

This game has $120 up for grabs in pre-paid squares out of the free agent fund....so....

:wacko:

That is really cool. I think I might try to sell my local league on having a payout / awards party. We have an awesome party for draft weekend, which is basically a reunion of my college buddies. I see no reason why we can't have a 2nd party when it's all over.

go browns! :wacko:

Well, the Ravens are actually the Browns, and the Browns are actually a new team from several years ago, so, I deduce that you are rooting for the Ravens/Real Browns.

Well, the Ravens are actually the Browns, and the Browns are actually a new team from several years ago, so, I deduce that you are rooting for the Ravens/Real Browns.

wrong but nice analysis.

If there ever were a time when both teams could lose, I wish it here.

Nothing personal.

My gut gets nervous just thinking about this game. I know it will be a gut-wrenching, back and fourth battle to the end.

Amen to that, should be yet another hard-hitting, brutal contest. The winner will be bruised, battered, and (likely) accorded the honor of going to NE next week, but that's a different topic for another day :wacko:

:wacko:

That is really cool. I think I might try to sell my local league on having a payout / awards party. We have an awesome party for draft weekend, which is basically a reunion of my college buddies. I see no reason why we can't have a 2nd party when it's all over.

Add a 12 hour bean bag tournament the Saturday after Memorial Day and the second Saturday after Labor Day and Mrs. Menudo will finally start to see who is boss in the household. Don't say I never did anything for you.

:tup:

We do, it's called the Super Bowl Party hosted by the SB-winning team at his expense! It'll be at my place this year and we'll have a new kitchen, basement, and living room complete with HDTVs just in time to host. :wacko:

edit to add: I like the Ravens outright in this game. The Steelers just don't have that same feel about them this year that they've had in the past. I think the Steelers o-line woes tip the scales in favor of the Ravens.

Edited by The Next Generation

Amen to that, should be yet another hard-hitting, brutal contest. The winner will be bruised, battered, and (likely) accorded the honor of going to NE next week, but that's a different topic for another day :wacko:

Yeah, regardless of what happens in Pittsburgh, this all sets up pretty nicely for the Patriots I must say.

To me, this is the best and most anticipated match up that the entire playoffs will offer up , including the sb. These 2 teams hate each other. Both D's feature some of the most intense players in the game. The Ravens hate Ward. Ward blows up a Raven every year. Both teams like to run. Polamalu is a beast. Lewis is a beast. This game should be awesome .

I think this will be a close game as well but the fact that Baltimore doesn't generate sacks like the Steelers do leads me to believe Ben will have enough time to make plays. On the flip side Flacco will be under more pressure which could lead to turnovers and stalled drives.

(Granted they are even with 5 sacks a piece in the 2 games this year)

NFL Regular Season Sacks

PIT - #1 (48)

BAL - #27 (27)

I took PIT -3, PIT ML and Over 36.5 this week.

Edited by myhousekey

Neither team will likely run well against the other. Which means do you take Ben or Flacco? The Ravens can likely take Wallace out of the game (see Bowe last week), but Hines Ward can still move the chains, and Emmanuel Sanders has come on as of late. Who else steps up? Heath Miller? Then there's Flacco... Solid 3rd year QB with the ever-reliable Derrick Mason and beast Anquan Boldin. Good 1-2 punch at RB, and both RBs catch well out of the backfield. It should be a great game. It's hard to bet against Roethlisberger though. He seems to git-r-done.

Should be a great game, looking forward to it. Something tells me that both Wallace and Boldin will have big games because both defenses will be so focused to stop the run. Both QBs will have to deal with pass rush pressure but I have a feeling this game will be a little bit more open then previous games

Final Score

31 Ravens

28 Steelers

Edited by Return Of S&B

Should be a great game, looking forward to it. Something tells me that both Wallace and Boldin will have big games because both defenses will be so focused to stop the run. Both QBs will have to deal with pass rush pressure but I have a feeling this game will be a little bit more open then previous games

Final Score

31 Ravens

28 Steelers

59 total points? A little bit more open? These two teams have scored 54 combined points this season in TWO games. I'll be shocked if they sniff anything near 50 total points.

20 Ravens

16 Steelers