[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trapped in 70's hell

matt770

How many Hall & Oates songs do they have in rotation? :wacko:

I dig most of this stuff, but H&O always made me wanna puke. Then, and now.

I really have come to like the ballad singers of the day. James Taylor, the muslim named Cat, Carly Simon, Jackson Browne, Carol King, very early Elton, some great voices and songs. Anything close to disco, just like rap, I simply cannot listen to. Rap is hard to escape these days. :tup:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, forgive me as my age shows.

I suppose some tweener will be along espousing the romantic virtues of Dave Matthews soon!

Lord I hope not. :wacko:

A bunch of years ago I read an article, I think it was in Time maybe, that stated that more girls were impregnated while listening to Chances Are than any other song in the history of music. LOL

She's goooooooooone, oh oh I-I...I better learn how to face it...I'd pay the devil to replace her.....

:wacko::tup::lol:

My job is downright fun now. If there are any laws against getting down, surely I'm a wanted man.

My mom was insanely into Boz, played all his records constantly while her and my aunt burned unusual incense. They went to see him at MSG, would have been around '77 or '78. Really amazing show apparently. :wacko:

Still go see him when he plays in Tucson and Phoenix....

Hey I dig Steely Dan on a non-ironic level too.
That statement itself is ironic on various levels.

They were amazing. But the music is pretty soft.
That's pretty wrong. Or at best a hideous oversimplification.

Kids :wacko:

:tup:

That aside and as much as I hate oversimplified labelling of music that way, I do admittedly have a similar channel - basically light rock/pop - that is a nice, easy-on-the-ears change of pace sometimes. The nice part about pandora is you can give a "thumbs down" when something really craptacular comes up (eg Air Supply) and it not only won't play it again, but gradually fine tunes your station that way by not playing similar.

Edited by BeeR

I really have come to like the ballad singers of the day. James Taylor, the muslim named Cat, Carly Simon, Jackson Browne, Carol King, very early Elton, some great voices and songs. Anything close to disco, just like rap, I simply cannot listen to. Rap is hard to escape these days. :wacko:

All day! :tup:

That statement itself is ironic on various levels.

They were a good band, but in the context of a station playing 70's pop, there is a certain kitsch factor. It transcends the genre, yet fits right in. I don't laugh at and mock the Steely Dan songs that come up, as I do some of the other stuff.

That aside and as much as I hate oversimplified labelling of music that way, I do admittedly have a similar channel - basically light rock/pop - that is a nice, easy-on-the-ears change of pace sometimes. The nice part about pandora is you can give a "thumbs down" when something really craptacular comes up (eg Air Supply) and it not only won't play it again, but gradually fine tunes your station that way by not playing similar.

Yep, Pandora rocks. :wacko:

All day! :wacko:

I noticed you didn't bold Elton John. His very early stuff is really good. Figure like 'Rocket Man" and earlier. Guy was great until he started doing stupid horse chit like Saturday night's all right... the "Friends" album was great. So was Tumbleweed Connection. Songs like Alice were really good. Tell me "Levon" wasn't great. Too bad he and Chapin sold out.

And if the 'Tapestry' album isn't to one's liking, (not directed at anyone) you don't have much company. A timeless masterpiece, crossing all borders and listeners into being the top selling album of all time. Recently I caught JT and Carol King on the tube doing a duet appearance, recodered in concert. They are both still great.

Sad to say I think most of today's stuff is trash. Dave Mathews and Steve Forbet are still doing good stuff, along with far too few others.

PS: Brubeck is great... and I've come to appreciate Earl Scruggs and his boys over the years. We haven't even talked Motown, a terrific era in pop for sure.

Edited by Rovers

Class of '94, but both my parents were musicians who had a lot of weekend gigs at local places playing 70s and earlier 80s covers. They taught me well. Steely Dan is one of my faves. And I consistently say that the music that was popular when I was in high school sucked. I didn't even listen to the radio back then. I was a good 4 years behind on the grunge movement, having literally never heard a Nirvana or Pearl Jam song until late 1994. Having said that, grunge was a decent alternative to the mainstream pop (puke) of the early to mid 90s (Ace of Base comes to mind).

But as much as music might have sucked in the 90s, it is twice as suck now. If you haven't done so lately, put on a top 40s station for 15 minutes and listen. What you will hear is that nobody knows how to sing any more - voice modulation has pretty much overrun the world. You don't even need to be talented to be successful. You just have to have the look and the ability to dance. The rest is taken care of by digital modulation on computers. Ben Folds says it best at the end of the chorus in

The 70s had some of the best singer/songwriter moments in music history. Soft rock, classic rock, whatever you want to call it (I actually like to use the term "grocery store music", as it encompasses a lot of these things). It's all good...

I noticed you didn't bold Elton John. His very early stuff is really good. Figure like 'Rocket Man" and earlier. Guy was great until he started doing stupid horse chit like Saturday night's all right... the "Friends" album was great. So was Tumbleweed Connection. Songs like Alice were really good. Tell me "Levon" wasn't great. Too bad he and Chapin sold out.

And if the 'Tapestry' album isn't to one's liking, (not directed at anyone) you don't have much company. A timeless masterpiece, crossing all borders and listeners into being the top selling album of all time. Recently I caught JT and Carol King on the tube doing a duet appearance, recodered in concert. They are both still great.

Sad to say I think most of today's stuff is trash. Dave Mathews and Steve Forbet are still doing good stuff, along with far too few others.

+1 - Tapestry is fantastic. Carole King doesn't get enough love IMO...

The 70's..... when worthwhile music was on it's last legs and beginning to die. Completely dead by the 90's.

cmon old timer - let it go, you don't really believe this.

The 90's was tremendous and there has been brilliant music and bands since the 70's to present day.

well, except for the 80's but even that decade had some gems and is good for some laughs at least.

Edited by wildcat2334

cmon old timer - let it go, you don't really believe this.

The 90's was tremendous and there has been brilliant music and bands since the 70's to present day.

well, except for the 80's but even that decade had some gems and is good for some aughs at least.

'Fraid I do. I have music from the 90's and forward..... but I can't really say that it is very worthwhile. In fact, most of it one can't even listen to.

Would be nice if a new Miles or Lightfoot came along to make listening worth it again.

But then again.... it is just my opinion. There are a lot of people here that prefer the stuff put out now to music. And that is there right. I guess.

'Fraid I do. I have music from the 90's and forward..... but I can't really say that it is very worthwhile. In fact, most of it one can't even listen to.

Would be nice if a new Miles or Lightfoot came along to make listening worth it again.

But then again.... it is just my opinion. There are a lot of people here that prefer the stuff put out now to music. And that is there right. I guess.

with that attitude, if a new Miles or Lightfoot came along, you would completely miss the boat, expecting them to sound like the last one and closing yourself off to anything else.

I think you know me well enough to know that I place a good amount of music from the past on a plane above anything that's come along since. if I were going to pick favorite decades of recorded music, the 50s and 60s would be first and second on my list, though I'm not sure in which order. but to denigrate and dismiss out of hand 20+ years of ALL music is simply a position of ignorance.

Every time Steely Dan is referred to as "soft rock" an angel loses it's wings. Effing geniuses I tell you! And effing geniuses do not make "soft rock"!

I would never use genius and Steely Dan in the same sentence. Their compositions were complex and precise and they were master editors but I would not qualify those traits as genius. I respect them a lot but they are too polished for my taste. Actually, I'm not sure what constitutes musical genius :wacko:

Class of '94, but both my parents were musicians who had a lot of weekend gigs at local places playing 70s and earlier 80s covers. They taught me well. Steely Dan is one of my faves. And I consistently say that the music that was popular when I was in high school sucked. I didn't even listen to the radio back then. I was a good 4 years behind on the grunge movement, having literally never heard a Nirvana or Pearl Jam song until late 1994. Having said that, grunge was a decent alternative to the mainstream pop (puke) of the early to mid 90s (Ace of Base comes to mind).

But as much as music might have sucked in the 90s, it is twice as suck now. If you haven't done so lately, put on a top 40s station for 15 minutes and listen. What you will hear is that nobody knows how to sing any more - voice modulation has pretty much overrun the world. You don't even need to be talented to be successful. You just have to have the look and the ability to dance. The rest is taken care of by digital modulation on computers. Ben Folds says it best at the end of the chorus in

The 70s had some of the best singer/songwriter moments in music history. Soft rock, classic rock, whatever you want to call it (I actually like to use the term "grocery store music", as it encompasses a lot of these things). It's all good...

Agree with all of this. Some people think of "disco" when the subject of 70s music is brought up, but there's so much more. A few years ago, I put on some Boston for my kids and asked them if they knew who they were or when they thought the songs were written. Completely blew their minds when I told them they were a band from the mid 70s, and they didn't believe me. A lot of the music from that time endures, because it's GOOD damnit!

with that attitude, if a new Miles or Lightfoot came along, you would completely miss the boat, expecting them to sound like the last one and closing yourself off to anything else.

I think you know me well enough to know that I place a good amount of music from the past on a plane above anything that's come along since. if I were going to pick favorite decades of recorded music, the 50s and 60s would be first and second on my list, though I'm not sure in which order. but to denigrate and dismiss out of hand 20+ years of ALL music is simply a position of ignorance.

You have a valid point. Maybe I should have just said that I just don't appreciate most of the music that has come out in the last two or so decades.

I have two sets of grandkids that keep me up to date on what they listen to and I can tell ya.... the don't think much of what is out there now either. They have their favorites for sure....but it is only maybe two or three. They have me listen to what they think I might like....but on the whole I am not impressed in the least little bit with what is available at the moment.

I pay very close attention to what is said here by the people I respect when it comes to music...and I go out and listen to what they are listening to and recommending. So I don't think I would miss a new Miles or Lightfoot. You wouldn't let that happen to me. :wacko: