[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

'Fletch' Reboot Heading to the Big Screen...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/hea...ig-screen-95215

Warner Bros. is looking to bring investigating reporter Fletch back to the big screen.

The studio has pre-emptively picked up the movie rights to the Gregory McDonald mystery novels featuring the character for an adaptation to be produced by Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin and Michael Sugar as well as David List, the manager of McDonald’s estate.

No writer or director is board, but Warners and the producers are aiming for a reimagining, not a remake, and hope to make an smart action comedy that plays out on a bigger canvas than the previous movies.

The 11 mystery books, the first of which was published in 1974, center on a reporter named I.M. Fletcher who juggles writing exposes while avoiding headaches caused by his two ex-wives. (Kinda like the Borys Kit story.)

The book and its first sequel is the only time a novel has won back-to-back Edgar Allan Poe Awards, the prize handed out by the Mystery Writers of America.

The books were memorably adapted into a Chevy Chase vehicle in 1985, with the comedy quotient amped, followed by a sequel in 1989.

Harvey Weinstein, via Miramax then TWC, tried for more than a decade to launch a Fletch franchise, attaching Kevin Smith to direct and produce an adaptation of McDonald’s Fletch Won. While that version never got off the ground, it attracted names such as Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Joshua Jackson and others into its orbit, a testament to the strength of the character McDonald created.

Jesse Ehrman will oversee Fletch for Warners.

They've been talking about another Fletch for several years. Kevin Smith had the rights for a while, I believe. I'll believe it when I see it.

I have the same feelings towards a Fletch redux that I would imagine many had regarding a new version of True Grit; let's hope they re-do it just as well as the Cohen brothers did.

2V

Part of what has made Fletch so endearing to us is the performance of Chevy Chase. While there are many extremely talented comedic actors, I'm not sure there is one out there that can do him justice.

The movie is not being made for your generation. You're not the target audience.

Edited by electricrelish

The movie is not being made for your generation. You're not the target audience.

You're right..I don't go to movies.

I hear they are working on Cocoon 3. At least you have that going for you Taz

+1

Start bracing yourselves. It is only a matter of time before some studio takes a shot at Animal House. :wacko:

Start bracing yourselves. It is only a matter of time before some studio takes a shot at Animal House. :wacko:

:tup: I saw my first set of on screen boobies in that movie

:tup: I saw my first set of on screen boobies in that movie

:wacko:

The frat house they used for that film is located on the UofO campus and is a landmark. Still looks the same as the movie, or at least it did when I went back to my hometown 4 years ago.

ETA: My first set of on screen boobies was Benny Hill. I remember sneaking out of bed and flipping on the tube in hopes of catching a pair. More often than not, I was rewarded.

Edited by tazinib1

:wacko:

The frat house they used for that film is located on the UofO campus and is a landmark. Still looks the same as the movie, or at least it did when I went back to my hometown 4 years ago.

ETA: My first set of on screen boobies was Benny Hill. I remember sneaking out of bed and flipping on the tube in hopes of catching a pair. More often than not, I was rewarded.

i guess benny would have to be mine also as my dad watch that an monty python all the time on the local PBS channel.