[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2011 Offical Gardening Forum

Footballjoe

Might as well get it started. My plans this year is to grow many different crops from what I did in the past. I will still plant tomatoes, onions, squash, cucumbers, salad, okra, eggplant & a few other things that escape me right now.

New to the garden this year will be strawberries, blueberries and either blackberries or raspberries. Also I will be planting many different oriental veggies. Since my wife has developed many food allergies we have found that the oriental veggies give us a nice variety. It also keeps my wife from developing allergies to new foods by rotating what she eats. Currently my wife shops at a Korean and Vietnamese Markets, they have very reasonable prices. You get all kinds of stuff there i.e. they have white and purple sweet potatoes. They taste almost like ours. A lady my wife works with is Vietnamese and has been teaching her how to cook many things. I think rice must have drugs in it because I find that I want more often now. The rice we get from the oriental markets is much better than the rice we get at our supermarkets IMO. I have been checking the sites to determine what seeds I will be purchasing.

I will need to expand a planting area this year as well.

Happy gardening. :wacko:

Mine is going to be interesting this year. We moved to a new house in June, so I haven't decided how to execute the garden. My back yard faces south but was pretty much 100% shaded. So I remedied that situation and took down a large sweet gum tree this fall. So I'm hoping my sun pattern falls the way I think it will. I already put leaves and grass clippings in my bedding areas so they could start to break down the soil. When I moved here last year we tried to find nightcrawlers for fishing, and couldn't find any the soil was so bad. So this will take some time.

Despite that, I will have less room this year, but I think I can be creative with placement and such. I'm also going to incorporate more food crops into my flower beds. The things I know I will have room for:

1. Four tomato plants.

2. Four pepper plants.

3. Trellis for green beans.

4. Trellis for sugar snap peas.

5. Compost pile area for pumpkins.

I need to create some space somewhere for cucumbers and radishes.

I am in the planning stages for building a vertical garden in my back yard. The people we bought the house form spent a lot of money landscaping and if I tried to dig out a decent sized garden it would ruin what they have done (which we both like).

I'm going to plant some tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes and mayhaps some onions and greenbeans.

I am trying to go heirloom seeds as much as I can. I am hoping one day to have a completely heirloom garden. This year I am planting...

Sunflowers

Bloody Butcher Corn

Country Gentleman Corn

Tom Thumb Pop Corn

Artichokes

Egg Plant

Califlower

Sugar Snap Peas

Green Beans

Cucumbers

Red Radish

Icicle Radish

A new Radish for me. It's black and its variety is about 600 years old.

Horseradish

Dill

Roma Tomato

A few Bell Peppers and some Green Chili Peppers.

So far I have 7 4'x8' raised beds, and 4 50'x75' plots. We take this business seriously. Last years garden was the best in a long time. We had three planting of corn (had corn for the better part of two months) 30 tomato plants (lots got canned/frozen/salsaed/used fresh) green beans galore, cabbages, broccoli, okra, yellow squash, zucchini squash, two varieties of winter squash, pumpkins, watermelons, cantelopes, collards, 4 vartieties of lettuce, sugar snap peas, edible pod peas, and edible soybeans (they're usually served at oriental restaraunts as appetizers but we eat them year round). I know i'm leaving somethings out but you get my drift.

I love this stuff.

So far I have 7 4'x8' raised beds, and 4 50'x75' plots. We take this business seriously. Last years garden was the best in a long time. We had three planting of corn (had corn for the better part of two months) 30 tomato plants (lots got canned/frozen/salsaed/used fresh) green beans galore, cabbages, broccoli, okra, yellow squash, zucchini squash, two varieties of winter squash, pumpkins, watermelons, cantelopes, collards, 4 vartieties of lettuce, sugar snap peas, edible pod peas, and edible soybeans (they're usually served at oriental restaraunts as appetizers but we eat them year round). I know i'm leaving somethings out but you get my drift.

I love this stuff.

You're not a gardener, you are a farmer. :wacko:

Still in development: Current version 9/17/03: Adult Josh Gordon patients with the approval of a San Diego County doctor may keep up to 1 pound of Josh Gordon and grow up to 24 plants. Under the measure, caregivers can keep up to 2 pounds of Josh Gordon and grow up to 48 plants for as many as four patients.The ordinance must come back for a final vote, as a procedural matter, to be enacted.

I'm looking to ... well develop my green thumb sorta speak. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I uncovered two of my raised beds Wednesday to let them air out. Ran a tiller thru them yesterday afternoon and was able to plant some romaine lettuce, spinach and some edible pod snap peas. If everything goes well i'll be eating some fresh produce by the end of April. Anyone else got anything out yet?

I have got my salad growing and some of its ready for picking. I also have cabbage, broccoli, califlower, onions, swiss chard, strawberries, carrots and brussel sprouts in the ground. Some of it was left over from the fall that I thought the snow killed but it has recovered and doing well. I am having trouble with my strawberries though. The leaves are turning black, almost like they are burnt. I took one to the Feed and Seed and was told they are not getting enough sunlight and are too wet. I moved them to get more light but still having the problem. I will go back tomorrow to the Feed and Seed. I am thinking it might be a disease of some type.

I uncovered two of my raised beds Wednesday to let them air out. Ran a tiller thru them yesterday afternoon and was able to plant some romaine lettuce, spinach and some edible pod snap peas. If everything goes well i'll be eating some fresh produce by the end of April. Anyone else got anything out yet?

Got some radishes going already and they are coming up.

Planted some peas and spinach already also.

• 3 weeks later...

Some spinach from last fall's garden has survived and is growing like mad. The bride picked and cooked some and it was delicious! (She steams it with chicken broth and garlic and it made Mr. Popeye come sprouting out of hibernation!).

We also planted 5 more fruit trees into our orchard, 2 cherry, 2 jonathon apples, and 1 heirloom peach from the in-laws farm. We have a total of 13 fruit trees now and keep looking for more.

• 1 month later...

I've already been enjoying raw spinach, boston crisp and romaine lettuces, arugala, basil and parsely salads. I've also increased the number of veggies this year, cukes, squash, string beans, peas, sweet pepper, scallions, radishes, anahiem pepper, a new pepper, a medium heat type, forget the name, and of course the standby's, tomats, cilantro and my special calico peppers. My cuke plants are looking unhappy, may have planted too soon. i planted earkier this year than I ever have before, other than the cucumbers, it seems to be going OK.

I love arugala, if you've never tried it, a nice addition to a green salad. It has to be started from seed.

Been eating salad greens and planting plenty of stuff: tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, carrots, eggplant, squash, zucchini, okra, strawberries and cukes. I am sure I missed something. My strawberries are struggling but doing better. I do have some small berries but the plants should be bigger. All my cool weather stuff: cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower only did fair. I figured out I planted a different type of cabbage than normal and it doesn't seem to form a nice ball shape. The broccoli came in but as I was waiting for a larger head it flowered. Never can get the heads large enough. Oh and my brussel sprouts completely bombed but I learn how to do them for next time. Thinking about putting some sweet potatoes in the ground since we eat a lot of them.