[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teacher Strike!

SEC=UGA

I am amazed at how little they have to put in for their pension and insurance!!! It is my understanding, as well, that these people pay 0 SS taxes.

(CNN) -- At least 15 school systems in Wisconsin canceled Thursday's classes because teachers and other public employees will continue protests at the state Capitol over a bill that would strip them of most of their collective bargaining rights and increase their contributions for benefits.

At least 10,000 employees and supporters rallied Wednesday in Madison in opposition to legislation supported by Republican Gov. Scott Walker.

Classes will not be held for a second day Thursday in the Madison Metropolitan School District, said spokesman Ken Syke, because of a call by the Wisconsin Education Association Council for people to come to the Capitol on Thursday and Friday to "stand beside your neighbors, family and friends to help our voices be heard."

Syke earlier said about 40 percent of 2,600 teachers, assistants, social workers and psychologists in the bargaining unit called in sick late Tuesday, forcing the district to cancel Wednesday's classes for 24,500 students.

Walker said Wednesday he is dealing with a budget crisis. Employees and unions contend his bill is an assault on worker rights.

"This is all about balancing the budget," Walker wrote on his Twitter account. "WI needs leadership."

Walker is asking legislators to pass his "Budget Repair Bill" to combat a $137 million shortfall through June 30. An upcoming two-year budget for 2011-13 must address a pending $3.6 billion deficit, he said.

Workers compare governor to Mubarak

The bill cleared the Joint Finance Committee Wednesday night on a 12-4 vote, CNN affiliate WKOW in Madison, Wisconsin, reported and can now move onto the state Senate.

In a budgetary scenario being played out in other cash-strapped states and municipalities, the legislation requires workers to cover more of their health care premiums and pension contributions, although supporters say local governments will decide on health care contribution for their employees.

The legislation also requires collective bargaining units to conduct annual votes to maintain certification. Unions would lose the right to have dues deducted from worker paychecks and collective bargaining can only cover wages.

The bill has prompted protests from public employees and supporters. On Tuesday, an estimated 13,000 people thronged Tuesday to the Capitol, followed by 10,000 Wednesday, said Carla Vigue, spokeswoman for the Department of Administration.

Crowd chants outside Capitol

Unions said the number of protesters was much higher.

"I appreciate the fact that the folks here today will have a chance to have their voices heard," Walker told reporters Wednesday. "But I want to be sure the taxpayers of Wisconsin will have their chance to have their voices heard."

"Calling this a budget bill is a smokescreen," said Bryan Kennedy, president of AFT-Wisconsin, which represents about 17,000 employees. "This is an attack on all labor organizations."

Sign-carrying protesters jammed the Capitol rotunda on Tuesday and Wednesday, chanting "Kill the bill" and "Workers Unite." Thousands more marched outside in the snow.

The governor, who took his campaign for the bill to his Twitter account, said he was talking with some legislators about protections for workers.

Walker's press secretary, Cullen Werwie, told CNN he expects the measure to reach the Senate on Thursday and, possibly, the Assembly (lower chamber) on Friday. Both chambers are controlled by Republicans, but the legislation likely faces a tougher test in the Senate.

Under the bill, public employees in the Wisconsin Retirement System would pay about 5.8% of their salaries toward pensions, up significantly from 0.2%, Werwie said. And state workers would pay for 12.6% of their monthly health care premiums, up from between 4% and 6% percent.

Pay raises would be limited to inflation, unless a referendum approves of a larger increase.

"This is not something unusual," Walker said of the employee contributions. "That is what middle-class workers in this state have experienced."

The legislation would save the state about $30 million between now and the end of June and, if continued, an estimated $300 million during the next two years, Walker has said. He said workers in the private sector pay higher percentages of their pay for health care and pensions.

The governor visited private businesses on Tuesday, arguing the bill would end furloughs and prevent layoffs.

"People viewed what we are proposing as modest," he said.

The changes do not apply to to police, firefighters and state troopers, who would continue to bargain for their benefits.

But the proposed curtailing of most collective bargaining rights among public employees has drawn the most vocal complaints. There are about 300,000 state and local workers in the heavily unionized state.

Of 425 primary and secondary school systems, for example, employees at all but two are covered by AFT-Wisconsin or the National Education Association, Kennedy told CNN.

Walker, he claimed, is ignoring $100 million in previous employee concessions and wants to take his measure directly to a vote rather than negotiate.

Calling Wisconsin a "state in turmoil," Kennedy said the debate is "not a financial issue. It is about worker rights."

His group is calling for more rallies on Thursday to "keep the pressure on."

The website for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees featured a video of interviews with union workers.

"This is the state where collective bargaining for public employees started," one said. "If Wisconsin falls, so does the nation."

Because of the budget imbroglio, the Madison school district warned teachers that they would be docked pay if they were sick Wednesday through Friday and returned without a note from a medical provider, Syke said. They may face other sanctions.

Although Superintendent Daniel A. Nerad wrote Walker, asking him to return to the table to discuss collective bargaining, he also has said "our No. 1 responsibility is to instruct students," Syke said.

Some students left school Tuesday to join the protests, the spokesman said.

Many states, including California and New York, are grappling with budget deficit crises.

A month after Illinois lawmakers approved a massive tax hike, Gov. Pat Quinn on Wednesday unveiled a $35.4 billion budget that depends on state lawmakers approving $8.7 billion in new borrowing largely to clear a towering stack of unpaid bills.

The budget, which increases spending by $1.7 billion from the previous year and closes a $13 billion gap, slashes programs for the elderly, the poor and the disabled, but leaves education funding largely untouched. No layoffs of state workers are suggested.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot the Wake County school system is about to drop/lose their accreditation group to look for another one because whoever they use right now will not allow the county to implement some type of program. Can you imagine an entire county school system losing its accreditation????? Insane.

In Missouri, public school teachers have 14.5% of their salaries taken out of their paychecks and contributed to their retirement pension fund. It has steadily increased. In 1989 it was less than 8%. We do not pay into SS, which is OK by me. I don't participate in our school's health plan so they contribute to an annuity for me instead.

We have no collective bargaining.

Power to The People! :wacko:

Oh TIM-You get funnier by the minute :wacko:

Are you saying Madison WI isn't full of potheads? C'mon, even Canada isn't as liberal as Madison. Of course, they want everything free. They spent all their money on Josh Gordon and bad teachers.

Edited by TimC

wrong

Is your state different than the rest of the country? From what I can tell, most if not all state's Teachers pay into the TRS and not Social Security.

When I was a county employee over 25 years ago, only 2 or 3 employees were on the basic PERA. 99.7% of the employees were coordinated with SS. Minnesota teachers pay SS and have a pension that employees and employers both contribute 5.5% to.

Edited by MikesVikes

Are you saying Madison WI isn't full of potheads? C'mon, even Canada isn't as liberal as Madison. Of course, they want everything free. They spent all their money on Josh Gordon and bad teachers.

From the tone of some of your posts-you must have gone to school there! :wacko:

From the tone of some of your posts-you must have gone to school there! :wacko:

I've never been to Wisconsin. I don't even have a passport.

I see the police are now looking for the Democrats that didn't show up to vote. LOL...gets better every second.

Maybe they should try to think about the students for a minute and wait until summer to strike?

I've never been to Wisconsin. I don't even have a passport.

I see the police are now looking for the Democrats that didn't show up to vote. LOL...gets better every second.

Maybe they should try to think about the students for a minute and wait until summer to strike?

By then, the Governor and his cronies will have taken their homes and their first borns. :wacko:

Madison, WI....the libs aren't happy. That's what you get for being a hippie.

:wacko:

While Madison is indeed, full of pot smoking hippies, it is also the State Capital which is why teachers from all over the state are going there to rally. If the vote was in Milwaukee, all the teachers would be there.

But these are teachers from all over the state that are attending.

yup i pay into both

Fun, Fun... So you're gonna lose your pension and be unable to collect on SS? That sucks!!!

Edited by SEC=UGA

BP, can you answer me this....isn't getting 4 easy wins a year against Minnesota and Detroit enough of an advantage for these Packer fans? They basically start off 4-0 with 4 bye weeks year after year and still rarely ever win the whole thing. And now they want even more?

Shoot the Wake County school system is about to drop/lose their accreditation group to look for another one because whoever they use right now will not allow the county to implement some type of program. Can you imagine an entire county school system losing its accreditation????? Insane.

Yes, I can. The current state of our public education system suggests we ought to burn it down and start over.