[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFLPA May Be No Longer

WJW

What pisses me off is the need for greed, by the people making Billions on top of Millions.

Damn it makes me mad 'cus fans like me who live WAY LESS comfortable then these chaps... (payers and owners alike) and to see them squabble over how big of a share they need to take home. on what is essentially our fanship dollars.

I kind of understand the Owners side of not being willing to show the books.. and it seems as if they were at least willing to actually negotiate something..

NOW its coming to light that the NFLPA (and rep D.Smith) are the ones causing the friction. They could have been like "we dont like it and we refuse to negotiate" instead of all this friggen circus this whole time..and media squabble with the name calling and finger pointing..and what is turning out to be deception...

Super Frustrated Fan

I just hope the courts get this resolved since its obvious that the Players/Owners cant come to an agreement.

Damn it man. :wacko:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it came down to the owners not wanting to open their books up?

I heard De Smith's press statement. I'm paraphrasing, but it was short and sweet and he said (again - not verbatim):

"We will not consider extending the talks unless the owners turn over the last 10 years of audited financial records. They have 1 hour to do so."

Then after 1 hour they filed the decert & walked.

That was the NFLPA's bargaining position. Care to comment?

Here's the transcript:

"We met with the owners until about 4 o'clock today," union head DeMaurice Smith said outside the mediator's office. "We discussed a proposal they had presented. At this time, significant differences continue to remain. We informed the owners that ... if there was going to be a request for an extension, that we asked for 10 years of audited financial information to accompany that extension."

About 15 minutes later, the union decertified.

link

Here's the transcript:

"We met with the owners until about 4 o'clock today," union head DeMaurice Smith said outside the mediator's office. "We discussed a proposal they had presented. At this time, significant differences continue to remain. We informed the owners that ... if there was going to be a request for an extension, that we asked for 10 years of audited financial information to accompany that extension."

About 15 minutes later, the union decertified.

link

Yep..sounds like somebody that's wearing a meat suit.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks would happen if they went into their boss' office and demanded to negotiate their compensation with a requirement that their company disclose the last 10 years' financials before the negotiations continued.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks would happen if they went into their boss' office and demanded to negotiate their compensation with a requirement that their company disclose the last 10 years' financials before the negotiations continued.

right, and as insane as that sounds, imagine if your boss actually replied with "George Foreman Grill?! ok, heres 5 years..." and you walked.

the union Ginsued up.

:wacko: Nice to see someone else gets it. Pro sports in general are so effed up thx to big money. I've already blown off MLB and NBA entirely, might as well toss the NFL on the feces-like heap.

See ya...I'm sure there's a nice knitting forum you can join to spread your cheer and influence others with your jovial nature.

Just a damn shame its come to this.Obivously everyone involved in this fiasco does not have a clue what its like in the real world.Players who have been pampered since high school and think they are owed somthing just because they are athetically blessed.Owners who are so rich they can't comprehend what its like to live week to week and to srimp and save just to go to a couple of games a year.Both sides have lost touch with reality and are going to alienate the very people who have made it possible for them to make the money that they are fighting over

So you are implying the owners either lied or that what they offered wasn't fair?

I was all for the players not a week ago. From the actions of the Union the last few days, the deal offered by the NFL that was turned down, and what seems like ignorance from the player representatives to the teams (meaning they have no idea what the real consequences are of the actions taken today), I have turned sides. Just seems like the owners tried to make a fair BUSINESS deal, and the Union had zero intention on even seriously negotiating yet put everybody through the process anyway.

Well the owners could easily prove I'm full of $hit by disclosing their last 10 years of financials to the players. For whatever reason, that is a sticking point for the owners. Maybe I'm jaded but with billions of dollars on the line, I would not expect either side to blindly trust the word of the other.

Well the owners could easily prove I'm full of $hit by disclosing their last 10 years of financials to the players. For whatever reason, that is a sticking point for the owners. Maybe I'm jaded but with billions of dollars on the line, I would not expect either side to blindly trust the word of the other.

they offered 5, which is 5 years more than anybody has ever seen, along with meeting a lot of the unions concessions. I don't see the Union compromising at all, and how can they deny that for some teams, times are hard? i was all for the players here, until it became clear that they weren't interested at all in making it work. You have to be stupid to think that financially for teams, its the same as it was in 1998.

It's none of the players' damn business what the owners make.

And the players have obviously been instructed to spew that sound bite whenever asked and it's obviously had the desired effect on you anyway.

Season ticket holders that pay for PSLs should find a way to sue the owners (if there is a lockout or the season is canceled) ...more to send a message than anything else

I'm quite certain some class action will be brought up soon enough as a real possibility.

Screw that! Name me a Forbes 500 that does this. The NFL will never disclose what they are asking for. If they do, good luck in finding new ownership in the future.

:wacko:

The players don't have to play if they don't like the deal. Why on earth would any party to any negotiation take the other party at their word? Furthermore, when this has been staring everyone in the face for years, why would you trust the other party when at the last possible minute they want to make a great offer, with the exception that they won't disclose the information that proves it's a great offer?

How so?

Will everyone stop doing stupid Ginsuing comparisons from their current job to AN NFL PLAYER AND AN OWNER???

They are NOT comparable. Get. Over. It.

So you finally have come around and admit that the employees of the NFL are living in their own little dream world.

:wacko:

The players don't have to play if they don't like the deal.

Exactly. They can find other employment. With all that free college education they ought to be able to land plum non-football jobs.

After all, former players have a stellar record of financial success after they have left the league.

In a time when unemployment is through the roof, I'm having a hard time believing the Amewrican public will show any sympathy towards the players.

You seriously overestimate the IQ of the American public. All most NFL fans care about is get the games going again. They don't care who gets how much money (just like they don't care what players commit what crimes) and are stupid enough to pay ridiculous prices for game tickets, "official" spamshirts, NFL TV packages etc etc at a moment's notice and forgive all the BS. Just play baby.

:wacko: It's all such a joke.

Exactly. They can find other employment. With all that free college education they ought to be able to land plum non-football jobs.

After all, former players have a stellar record of financial success after they have left the league.

How silly! They should just say "yessir massah . . . we be grateful for wutevah you be givin us . . . thank you massahs . . . thank you!!" and be happy for whatever they get at the whim of their lord/owner. After all . . . they DO rule the world and the indentured servant players should be happy they dont get whipped for their insolence.

I really cant believe that EVERYONE would be behind the owners!! :wacko: