[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh yay

Caveman_Nick

This latest action was taken to prevent Gadhafi from brutally wiping out a portion of the Libyan population which I think many agree that it is what Gadhafi had not only promised but had begun to carry out.

yeah, good thing saddam never did that. when exactly did this become grounds for launching a military attack again?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama is very inconsistent. He never makes any sense. Oh well...Jimmy Carter was the same way and only served one term too. We need to let the Muslims kill each other without our help. And, if we do decide to help, it should be a few nuclear bombs aimed right at Muhammad and Allah.

It's hard to compare the 2 since the Iraq coalition was gained on what turned out to be erroneous (WMD) information. We can't go back and see what the coalition would have been without the WMD threat, but I'm thinking it would be a lot less.

This latest action was taken to prevent Gadhafi from brutally wiping out a portion of the Libyan population which I think many agree that it is what Gadhafi had not only promised but had begun to carry out.

1- I cant disagree with the WMD info . . but I also note that most of the first coalition forces are 3rd world countries that werent going to do anything anyways. Eritrea? Really? :wacko:

2- This coalition has members of the arab world actively participating, something that wasnt happening in Iraq, and other countries are very actively taking the lead against Quaddafi.

3- Iraq was killining Kurds for a looong time in northern Iraq. Does that count as wiping out part of his population? But UNLIKE in Iraq, without the WMD "threat" we STILL would never have gotten involved.

4- The violence in the Sudan has been happening for years. Brutal civil wars have been happening in Africa for decades, with thousands upon thousands killed. the USA hasnt done a damn thing about it . . . because unless we have a strategic self interest, then we really dont care.

We can whitewash it all we want, but it is all because of vested self interest that we get involved in any of these hotspots . . .

2- This coalition has members of the arab world actively participating,

No it doesn't. The most they did was call for a no-fly zone (long after Gaddafi began his offensive) then pissed and moaned when it went into effect. They just want the best of both worlds and can all kiss my ass.

Only Qatar has said will take part and the exact nature of that is in some doubt. Maybe they'll provide half a dozen portapotties.

No it doesn't. The most they did was call for a no-fly zone (long after Gaddafi began his offensive) then pissed and moaned when it went into effect. They just want the best of both worlds and can all kiss my ass.

Only Qatar has said will take part and the exact nature of that is in some doubt. Maybe they'll provide half a dozen portapotties.

something I just read seems particularly apt:

The Cheek of Araby

This editorial is from Lebanon’s Daily Star:

The Arab embarrassment in the matter, however, does not end with mere inaction. The Western warplanes had barely landed after their first sorties when Arab League chief Amr Moussa began criticizing the strikes. Moussa, of course, was not alone. Arab disunity hardly counts as news; the hypocrisy of the backtracking was the truly nauseating part.

The Arab world bleats incessantly about U.S. and Western colonialism and imperialism; but when Arab leaders needed help in an emergency, they went begging to the West. Once the help came, many reverted to accepting the unproven view of a bloodthirsty mass murderer – Gadhafi – that civilians were killed.

That’s this unlovely region in a nutshell: Passivity and dependency oscillating with duplicity and victimhood. If you’re a western power and you’re not intervening in the Middle East in hard-headed, coolly-calculated, strategic support of your national interest, you’ll only come a cropper — and, however it goes, you’ll be blamed for it.

By the way, I always love the way the West gets blamed in the Middle East for supporting despots and thugs. C’mon, all you Arab “intellectuals”: Who else is there? Where’s your Havel or your Corazon Aquino? Amr Moussa, a shifty devious suck-up to dictators his entire life, has hopes of becoming the president of the “new” Egypt. Great: a “Facebook Revolution” with the same two-faced faces.

Qatar has sent fighter planes to help with the no fly zone. :wacko: Does that count?

Also I could be wrong . . but doesnt that UAE have some pretty kickass fighters that the US sold them? Like F-16s?

Nonetheless, this was the difference between the Iraq war and this one. This one has at the very least, buy in and mild support from the rest of the Arab world versus opposition to the Iraq war.

I also like Az's article, how they are playing both sides of the fence to get what they want . . . as always.

Qatar has sent fighter planes to help with the no fly zone. :wacko: Does that count?

Also I could be wrong . . but doesnt that UAE have some pretty kickass fighters that the US sold them? Like F-16s?

Here's a report from yesterday:

French Defense Ministry spokesman Laurent Teisseire said Sunday that Qatari warplanes planned to join the operation alongside French jets as a "historic partner" of France in the Arab world. Qatar's state news agency confirmed the country's aircraft are taking part in the no-fly zone but gave no details.

The UAE's state news agency WAM said the country's role was "strictly confined" to humanitarian assistance.

The UAE's foreign minister, Sheik Abdullah bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, attended a weekend meeting in Paris to coordinate the coalition effort. He did not take questions from reporters in the Emirati capital Monday.

Call me a cynic if you like but I seriously doubt any Qatari aircraft - and certainly no UAE plane - goes within 100 miles of Libya. I've bolded and underlined the weasel words for you.

It's hard to compare the 2 since the Iraq coalition was gained on what turned out to be erroneous (WMD) information. We can't go back and see what the coalition would have been without the WMD threat, but I'm thinking it would be a lot less.

Please stop with the convincing intelligent posts...they stand out like a sore thumb in this thread.

Yeah, because Q-daffy didn't say "Come in shrub, take my stockpiles and factories" after he started giving saddam a bad burn. Don't get me wrong, I'm with Az and Ursa on this - we should be in neither place, really. But damn you guys are dying to forgive the obamessiah for something and castigate shrub for the EXACT same thing. If shrub hadn't scared Q-daffy into giving up his weapons, obamessiah would be using that rationale as well. Man, talk about straining out a gnat to swallow a camel...

ahh, the administration has defined our goal in libya. that goal is, to quote, "installing a democratic system".

Oh, most excellent. More nation-building. Goody. :wacko:

I'm beginning to think this is all an Al Qaeda plot to drain our bank accounts. "Quick, Osama, start another revolution in another godforsaken chithole country and we can get the stupid westerners to spend even more money they haven't got!"

I'm beginning to think this is all an Al Qaeda plot to drain our bank accounts. "Quick, Osama, start another revolution in another godforsaken chithole country and we can get the stupid westerners to spend even more money they haven't got!"

:tup: Probably not too far from the truth . .

Alright...I need someone to help me...and please use small words because I'm not that bright when it comes to politics:

The difference between republicans and democrats is...?

President Palin would be bombing Olive Garden for running out of bread sticks and salad.

Alright...I need someone to help me...and please use small words because I'm not that bright when it comes to politics:

both have figured out that it doesn't really matter which is in charge as long as one of them is in charge.

Here's a report from yesterday:

Call me a cynic if you like but I seriously doubt any Qatari aircraft - and certainly no UAE plane - goes within 100 miles of Libya. I've bolded and underlined the weasel words for you.

They're flying fookin' BARCAP in the Eastern med around the Suez/Gulf of Aqaba to make sure Iran doesn't try to come attack us... :wacko:

Oh, and untateve is wise. But we already knew that.

Obama is very inconsistent. He never makes any sense.

Racist.

...how you spell the words, mostly.

Bin Laden hit our ego and we're been burning American dollars since.

"Hey Al Qaeda, are you in this country? Nope? We'll how about in this other 'stan country?"