[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is the NFL wanting to be like the AFL more and more each year?

WaterMan

Thank goodness they only messed with this partially. What they were originally proposing would have killed the kickoff return. And I just don't get the "safety" argument. I watch a TON of NFL football and can't recall seeing a lot of injured players on the ground after kickoffs. Maybe I'm wrong and there are stats to back the "safety" argument up, but I just don't remember seeing that many kickoff injuries over the years.

I still think even the minor changes they just made will greatly reduce kickoff returns. If I'm reading this correctly the ball will be kicked 5 yards further now on average and the kickoff team will now line up 10 yards closer to the returner. They say the kickoff team won't have such a "running start" now, but I have to figure these athletes are pretty much at full speed within 5 yards anyway.

Thank goodness they only messed with this partially. What they were originally proposing would have killed the kickoff return. And I just don't get the "safety" argument. I watch a TON of NFL football and can't recall seeing a lot of injured players on the ground after kickoffs. Maybe I'm wrong and there are stats to back the "safety" argument up, but I just don't remember seeing that many kickoff injuries over the years.

I think there are a couple of reasons that the injuries do not stick out.

First, they always go to a commercial break after the kickoff, so there's never an injury timeout. There's rarely more than a mention of "There's a XYZ TEAM player being tended to" as they go to break. They almost never pan to the player, because....and maybe more the reason that the injuries don't stick out...the players that are on Kickoff Coverage are often scrubs. People we do not pay much attention to, and certainly not in fantasy football circles.

I don't mind the rule. Kickoff returns are exciting, but I consider myself a purist, and prefer offense. I do think having the guys start 5 yards maximum behind the LOS is a bit more substantial than WW does, respectfully. Five yards is about three steps for these guys. You can't get to full speed in three steps. I think it buys enough time to where the better returners can still take the ball out from 3-4 yards deep and should be able to expect to get back to the 20 reasonably well.

Can't remember if I've said this here before, the Seahawks should get the chance to re-negotiate with Leon Washington, who they literally signed to a 4-year deal about a week ago, who doesn't return many punts and is almost never on the field on offense. I highly doubt he gets the same contract knowing what we know now.