[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiting in line at Costco

detlef

I'm waiting to get a hot dog for lunch. Easily the best food value out there. Big, all-beef dog with standard fixins and a large drink for $1.50. Seriously, I defy you to do better.

At any rate, this lady in front of me is going off on the cashier.

"So you're saying I can't get chili with my hot dog?"

"We don't have chili."

"You want me to spend $1.50 and I can't get chili with my hot dog!?"

Trying to allay the woman's fears and expedite the whole situation I lean in, "Ma'am, it's actually a really good deal. It's a big hot dog. I get them almost every time I come here."

"Well, maybe you got more money than me!"

"None the less. Just saying it's a great value. Honestly, I don't think you can buy a cheaper lunch."

Woman snaps at me to mind my own business and starts back in on the cashier. Like the freaking cashier is going to somehow make chili appear or knock a buck off the hot dog. Ultimately she demands to see a manager and it's all the cashier can do to actually get her to step out of line while she waits so the rest of the queue can actually get their freaking hot dogs.

:wacko:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

instead of trying to convince her it is a good deal even w/o the chili, you should have said, "listen, lady, they ain't got chili. Either pay a buck fitty for the the hotdog without chili or get the f*ck out of the way so the rest of us can order"

instead of trying to convince her it is a good deal even w/o the chili, you should have said, "listen, lady, they ain't got chili. Either pay a buck fitty for the the hotdog without chili or get the f*ck out of the way so the rest of us can order"

:wacko: Which is an attitude and lingo I suspect she can much more easily relate to anyway. Seriously, what part of "we don't have chili" didn't sink in to this rocket scientist?

Sometimes it's the employees too, btw. We were going thru the line the other day and this lady was coming out into the line (long line, gee there's something new at costco) and using her price scanner gun thingy to ring up the costs ahead of time. Great. But when I tried to help by getting items either out of the cart or re-arranging them so the bar code is pointing to her, presumably maknig it easier, she gave me a really pissy look and blatantly insincere politeness about it. Excuse the f out of me for trying to help. Meanwhile mr and mrs trailer park behind me have a screaming brat they make precious little attempt to keep quiet.

Yecch. I love costco's deals and various items I can't easily find elsewhere, but I hate going there and it's precisely due to the lines and that feeling that somehow I'm in the warehouse area of wal-mart.

Edited by BeeR

:tup: Naively, I thought my approach would be less confrontational

:wacko: Which is an attitude and lingo I suspect she can much more easily relate to anyway.

Then again, I hadn't thought of that.

As for the "culture" there, here's what I don't get. For instance, I get that Wal-Mart is going to be a particularly unfortunate slice of America (and hear that Sam's Club makes Costco seem like a bunch of freaking Mensas at a Parisian Farmers Market). But why Costco? Why would that be any worse than, say, going to Kroger? But it is. Or if it isn't, you just don't notice the nitwits at Kroger as much.

As for Waterman's comment; Imagine how annoying it is to interact with people who you know treat your employees like crap? I mean, not cuss them out or lose their chight on them, but act all chummy chummy with you and then sort of dismissive and rude with the waiter. Obviously it's bad business to scold your customers for such behavior and my waiters are pros and get this attitude is part of the gig. However, sometimes you want to say, "Hey a-hole, I actually like that person. That person is like one of 40 people whom I employ so it's not like I never talk to them or joke with them or sit down and eat staff meal with them." Honestly, I'd rather they just treat me the same way. Like my waiters, I can take it. Whatever, their money spends just like everyone else's. My waiters know that, and I know that. It's just worse when they're cool to me because then I feel like a dick as well and often make a point of mentioning as much to the waiters.

Edited by detlef

:wacko: Naively, I thought my approach would be less confrontational

Then again, I hadn't thought of that.

As for the "culture" there, here's what I don't get. For instance, I get that Wal-Mart is going to be a particularly unfortunate slice of America (and hear that Sam's Club makes Costco seem like a bunch of freaking Mensas at a Parisian Farmers Market). But why Costco? Why would that be any worse than, say, going to Kroger? But it is. Or if it isn't, you just don't notice the nitwits at Kroger as much.

As for Waterman's comment; Imagine how annoying it is to interact with people who you know treat your employees like crap? I mean, not cuss them out or lose their chight on them, but act all chummy chummy with you and then sort of dismissive and rude with the waiter. Obviously it's bad business to scold your customers for such behavior and my waiters are pros and get this attitude is part of the gig. However, sometimes you want to say, "Hey a-hole, I actually like that person. That person is like one of 40 people whom I employ so it's not like I never talk to them or joke with them or sit down and eat staff meal with them." Honestly, I'd rather they just treat me the same way. Like my waiters, I can take it. Whatever, their money spends just like everyone else's. My waiters know that, and I know that. It's just worse when they're cool to me because then I feel like a dick as well and often make a point of mentioning as much to the waiters.

I go to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club all the time. I had a membership to both Costco and Sam's when I first moved to the Phoenix area. Kept the Sam's membership as I like the selection better. Customer base seems no different to me from Sam's or Costco.

I go to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club all the time. I had a membership to both Costco and Sam's when I first moved to the Phoenix area. Kept the Sam's membership as I like the selection better. Customer base seems no different to me from Sam's or Costco.

Interesting. I've never been to Sam's but was running errands with a friend of mine and we swung by Costco the other week. He's a member of Sam's and was marveling at how much more "cool" food there was at Costco. Organics, nicer cuts of meat, and interesting cheese, things like that.

Interesting. I've never been to Sam's but was running errands with a friend of mine and we swung by Costco the other week. He's a member of Sam's and was marveling at how much more "cool" food there was at Costco. Organics, nicer cuts of meat, and interesting cheese, things like that.

Probably true on the meat. Of course it has been about 9 years since I had the Costco membership so other things may have changed.

Good info here.

+1

Sam's Club is always a fun trip. I was there yesterday, the dude in front of me was buying a 17 gallon box of wine, that's it... No cheese, no crackers, just the most massive box of wine I have ever seen in my life time.

I get that Wal-Mart is going to be a particularly unfortunate slice of America (and hear that Sam's Club makes Costco seem like a bunch of freaking Mensas at a Parisian Farmers Market). But why Costco?

? Same reason. Cheaper to shop there (at least allegedly; personally our avg bill probably runs at least $50 and it's just 2 of us).

Also there's that "trough" mentality ie getting a lot at once which is esp appealing to the slugs of the world. Eat at a Golden Corral sometime for another example. I sugges you bring an ipod with good loud headphones to drown out the noise though.

I am not painting everyone that receives food stamps with the same brush as it just isn't the case. However, I have noticed more and more of the people that make me feel like I am in a trailer park each time I go to Costco and I just can't help but think it started last year when they started accepting food stamps.

Oh and the hot dog or the pizza with a yogurt drink is the bomb.

Having 3 kids that eat like a plague of locusts . . . I love me some Costco.

The meat is surprisingly decent for a bulk store, I can get all the lunch stuff for my kids in massive packs, they actually have some amazing deals on wine, and picking up a pizza for the family for dinner is a great deal and decent pizza to boot . . .

When i go in the evenings there are a LOT of Indian people buying 50 pound sacks of rice. Everytime there is an Indian family that has a hole in their sack of rice leaving a trail like Hansel and Gretel across the store . . . realizing ot when they are checking out . . and then trying to "negotiate" a cheaper price for the lost rice or stopping the whole line to slowly walk back and get a new bag. Annoying as hell to wait . . but still funny to watch.

Having 3 kids that eat like a plague of locusts . . . I love me some Costco.

The meat is surprisingly decent for a bulk store, I can get all the lunch stuff for my kids in massive packs, they actually have some amazing deals on wine, and picking up a pizza for the family for dinner is a great deal and decent pizza to boot . . .

When i go in the evenings there are a LOT of Indian people buying 50 pound sacks of rice. Everytime there is an Indian family that has a hole in their sack of rice leaving a trail like Hansel and Gretel across the store . . . realizing ot when they are checking out . . and then trying to "negotiate" a cheaper price for the lost rice or stopping the whole line to slowly walk back and get a new bag. Annoying as hell to wait . . but still funny to watch.

Hilarious - probably worth the membership right there!!