[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HVAC experience needed!

millerx

Well... spring is in the air, and the heat is slowly rising. I went and turned on my A/C for the first time this season, and while it is working, no cold air is coming out. This was to be somewhat expected as last summer there was a crack that was found to be leaking freon. I was told at that time that they could fill it up one time but I would need to replace it once that ran out. It's a 17 year old system and is need of being replaced. I know nothing about HVAC's and I'm trying to educate myself by reading as much as I can on the subject.

I'm looking to replace the compressor (?) on the outside of the house, as within the last 2 years, the inside portion (forgot what that part is called) was replaced. Will this cause complications matching the inside and the outside units? If so, what? What brand would you recommend? Trane, Lennox, Rheem, RUUD, etc? What seer is worth the money (value)? Are there any tax breaks I may be unaware of?

I've always been impressed with the wide spectrum of help this forum has to offer and would appreciate any insight, professional or personal experience are both welcome.

Well... spring is in the air, and the heat is slowly rising. I went and turned on my A/C for the first time this season, and while it is working, no cold air is coming out. This was to be somewhat expected as last summer there was a crack that was found to be leaking freon. I was told at that time that they could fill it up one time but I would need to replace it once that ran out. It's a 17 year old system and is need of being replaced. I know nothing about HVAC's and I'm trying to educate myself by reading as much as I can on the subject.

I'm looking to replace the compressor (?) on the outside of the house, as within the last 2 years, the inside portion (forgot what that part is called) was replaced. Will this cause complications matching the inside and the outside units? If so, what? What brand would you recommend? Trane, Lennox, Rheem, RUUD, etc? What seer is worth the money (value)? Are there any tax breaks I may be unaware of?

I've always been impressed with the wide spectrum of help this forum has to offer and would appreciate any insight, professional or personal experience are both welcome.

You coulda just called me you jackass... So now, you get nothing!!!!!!!!

You coulda just called me you jackass... So now, you get nothing!!!!!!!!

What? are you gonna come over and blow on me to keep me cool? Not that you don't already, but next time hold some ice cubes in your mouth so it's more effective?

Seriously though, what you got?

What? are you gonna come over and blow on me to keep me cool? Not that you don't already, but next time hold some ice cubes in your mouth so it's more effective?

Seriously though, what you got?

I'll give you a guys name that did our house, office and scores me hookers.

unless you got a minimum of 5 grand I would call a different hvac company and have them put more freon in it.

fyi- outside unit is called a condenser.

If the unit is 17 years old, it has outlasted the average life span of a unit by 5 years. He needs to replace it, otherwise he is throwing good money after bad. He probably should have replaced the condenser 2 years ago when he replaced the air handler, as now that might tie his hands as to what he can put in, unless he is willing to eat the cost of the air handler he bought two years ago.

If the unit is 17 years old, it has outlasted the average life span of a unit by 5 years. He needs to replace it, otherwise he is throwing good money after bad. He probably should have replaced the condenser 2 years ago when he replaced the air handler, as now that might tie his hands as to what he can put in, unless he is willing to eat the cost of the air handler he bought two years ago.

Sounds like you have some knowledge on the subject. At the time I had the air handler replaced, I was in a pinch money-wise and needed heat for the family, so I went with what I could afford. So what limitations would this cause?

All of the brand name you listed are fine. I wouldn't have a problem putting any of them on my house. With regard to what you put in, your hands may be tied due to the air handler you put in two years ago, unless you are willing to suck it up and buy a new one. It might be well worth the money depending on what seer your current unit is. Unless they have come down in cost significantly in the last year, once you get over 17 or 18 seer, you are throwing money away as the payback just isn't there. I replaced all three of my split systems last year and went form 11 seer to 18 seer. I thought I wanted 23 seer units, but luckily I've got a buddy that told me they aren't worth it. The other thing to do is make sure you have sufficient tonnage for your house, residential contractors are notorious for undersizing the AC to save a few bucks. I went from two 11 seer units that combined gave me 5.5 tons to three 18 seer units that totaled 8.5 tons and my electric bill is now 1/2 of what it used to be.

Need to know the source of the leak before you replace anything.

"a crack that was found to be leaking freon" :wacko::tup:

Freon is 150.00 bucks for a 30lb pound jug and a set of gauges are another 50 bucks.

people just love to spend that money.

Sounds like you have some knowledge on the subject. At the time I had the air handler replaced, I was in a pinch money-wise and needed heat for the family, so I went with what I could afford. So what limitations would this cause?

Honestly I'm not all that knowledgeable, but I have two different very good friends that own HVAC companies, and am very familiar with several others that own HVAC companies. I think you will probably have to stay with the same brand condenser just so that two communicate properly. If your unit is undersized, it might limit how much tonnage you can add. I'm not sure if it will dictate how high of a seer rating you can get.

Need to know the source of the leak before you replace anything.

"a crack that was found to be leaking freon" :wacko::tup:

Freon is 150.00 bucks for a 30lb pound jug and a set of gauges are another 50 bucks.

people just love to spend that money.

Did you not get that he said the unit is 17 years old? The average lifespan of a unit around here is about 12 years. I replaced three units with larger more efficient units last year, and the energy saving alone will pay off my investment in 7 years, so I should be essentially making money on those units for 5 years or so. Some times spending more now saves you a lot later on.

PM sent.

It would be easier to give you some details over the phone if you need me to answer some questions.

Edited by Chief Dick