[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Year of the QB

polksalet

How about Taylor Potts who has huge arm and might be smartest player in the draft (including Mcelroy).

The NFL has pretty much figured out that the stats that Texas Tech QBs run up in that offense are wildly divergent to how those QBs' skills and abilities translate into NFL capability.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL has pretty much figured out that the stats that Texas Tech QBs run up in that offense are wildly divergent to how those QBs' skills and abilities translate into NFL capability.

They had a new coach and different offense last year.

Good point. He averaged only 42.4 pass attempts per game in 2010 as opposed to 42.7 pass attempts per game in 2009. Tech clearly changed its offensive philosophy significantly.

Landry Jones averaged 44.07. Clearly OU runs the same offense as itt. I miss the days before you got old and crazy.

Landry Jones averaged 44.07. Clearly OU runs the same offense as itt. I miss the days before you got old and crazy.

You know what? You're right. Potts ought to be a 1st rounder this year. I don't know how I or all the other people who have overlooked him could have been so blind.

You know what? You're right. Potts ought to be a 1st rounder this year. I don't know how I or all the other people who have overlooked him could have been so blind.

Who are your (personal) 1st round QBs from this year's class? Just curious.

Edited by Brentastic

I wouldn't draft any of this group of QBs in the 1st. I don't see a franchise QB in the bunch and I think the value is in QB7-11

I think Gabbert is a clear first rounder and will be good for a long time. All of the rest of the top 15 are interchangeable imo. But I prefer mcelroy and Potts.

I wouldn't draft any of this group of QBs in the 1st. I don't see a franchise QB in the bunch and I think the value is in QB7-11

Find me one QB drafted in the last 10 years that was drafted as the 7th-11th QB taken in the draft that you would want leading your franchise. Just one.

Find me one QB drafted in the last 10 years that was drafted as the 7th-11th QB taken in the draft that you would want leading your franchise. Just one.

There might be 4-5 qbs in the history of the league I would trade for our starter. But let me say that I would feel comfortable going in with either Cassel of Gradkowski.

There might be 4-5 qbs in the history of the league I would trade for our starter. But let me say that I would feel comfortable going in with either Cassel of Gradkowski.

You can have Gradkowski. I'll give you Cassel is a nice choice from that group, though.

I dunno. If I had to bet, I would think that Cassel is going to be awfully above average for most of his career. He did do some things that surprised me a bit last year, so I'm not writing him off by any stretch, but gun to my head, I'd bet against him ever becoming elite (or top 10). An above average QB is just about the worst possible scenario for a franchise. A really bad QB at least lets you know that you need to find an elite one. An above average guy may be just good enough that you hang on for a long time hoping he leads you to a place he isn't capable of leading you towards, and you don't realize it until you wake up a decade later. Serviceable isn't what we're after. We're after elite. Cassell might get there, but if he doesn't, haven't the Chiefs basically wasted a good number of years?

Edited by Seahawks21

Jesus Christ. Read the f'n bolded and most especially the f'n underlined part, tell me what part of that you can't comprehend, and I'll try to type really slowly and explain it to you.

We get your point. NFL teams draft franchise QBs in the 1st round. They draft starting QBs in the 2nd round. Duh. Thank you for reiterating the merely obvious over and over again ad naseum.

As I've tried several times to make clear, being drafted in the 1st or 2nd round is no guarantee of success. Many of them completely wash out. But in this draft it looks to me like some of the guys who get drafted in the 3rd and 4th round, maybe later, have just as good of a shot as sticking in the league and working their way into playing time as those who look to be drafted in the upper 2 rounds - especially given the quality QB shortage now rife in the league.

Damn, you are seriously thickheaded. If you are such a freakin' genius and know the outcome of every QB drafted after round 2, how is it that all the teams in the NFL simply don't stop wasting their draft picks by not selecting a QB with a 3rd round pick or lower? You apparently have an NFL IQ edge over the collective knowledge of all the personnel guys and coaches in the league.

-Tom Brady was the 7th QB taken in the 2000 draft. He's pretty good.

-Derek Anderson was the 11th QB taken in the 2005 draft, and although he isn't a franchise QB he is a pro-bowler. (BTW Matt Cassel was taken as the 13th QB in the 2005 draft and he is a pro-bowler as well)

Johnny Unitas - 9th round

Bart Starr - 17th round

Warren Moon - CFL after being projected as mid to late round

Dan Fouts - 3rd round

Joe Montanna - 3rd round

Brett Favre - 2nd round

Tom Brady - 6th Round

Drew Brees - 2nd round, but only technically

Tony Romo - Free Agent

Kurt Warner -

Akili Smith

David klingler

Tim Couch

Akili Smith

Ryan Leaf

Davfid Carr

Matt Leinart

Jamarcus Russel

Todd Marinovich

It is too bad that so many Q.B.'s with potential get thrown into the mix before they are seasoned and educated to the pro game. It is too bad that high draft pick guys go to teams in shambles, unable to nuture them and to surround them with talent, throwing them into the fire and often shattering their confidence in the process. The pressure to play the "franchise" early, before they are really ready, can be devastating to the developing player. The recent success of some who were thrown into the fire may exacerbate that problem as they provide justification for putting unseasoned guys right into the fray.

None of this is news, of course.

I wonder why rookies are coached into the whole offense. It always seemed to me they should be coached, and drilled, in limited portions of the offense, whether the two minute drill, or a few scripted plays fundamental to the offense. Give them only what they can handle, get them some work in practice, preseason, and when game situations allow, but never let them start in year one.

This years rookies really seem like they are going to have the deck stacked against them. It seems like they will have very minimal opportunities to learn their new systems. For 'franchise saviors" drafted very high the coaches are really going to have to educate their fans that they are not going to see those guys much this year due to the lack of opportunity to work with them.

Jesus Christ. Read the f'n bolded and most especially the f'n underlined part, tell me what part of that you can't comprehend, and I'll try to type really slowly and explain it to you.

We get your point. NFL teams draft franchise QBs in the 1st round. They draft starting QBs in the 2nd round. Duh. Thank you for reiterating the merely obvious over and over again ad naseum.

As I've tried several times to make clear, being drafted in the 1st or 2nd round is no guarantee of success. Many of them completely wash out. But in this draft it looks to me like some of the guys who get drafted in the 3rd and 4th round, maybe later, have just as good of a shot as sticking in the league and working their way into playing time as those who look to be drafted in the upper 2 rounds - especially given the quality QB shortage now rife in the league.

Damn, you are seriously thickheaded. If you are such a freakin' genius and know the outcome of every QB drafted after round 2, how is it that all the teams in the NFL simply don't stop wasting their draft picks by not selecting a QB with a 3rd round pick or lower? You apparently have an NFL IQ edge over the collective knowledge of all the personnel guys and coaches in the league.

Some teams have, and don't bother taking QB's in those rounds. The rest will learn.

After this draft, write down for me every QB taken after the second round and keep it for a few years. Let me know how many good QB's you find.

Edited by Seahawks21

Some teams have, and don't bother taking QB's in those rounds. The rest will learn.

After this draft, write down for me every QB taken after the second round and keep it for a few years. Let me know how many good QB's you find.

I think there will always be gems that slip through the first round. Scouts and GM's are so enamored of the "prototypical guy" that the Drew Brees', Doug Fluties, and Fran Tarkingtons will fall.Scouts can't measure heart. They can't measure desire and work ethic at studying.

I agree with your major premise. I also agree with Broncos'.

-Tom Brady was the 7th QB taken in the 2000 draft. He's pretty good.

-Derek Anderson was the 11th QB taken in the 2005 draft, and although he isn't a franchise QB he is a pro-bowler. (BTW Matt Cassel was taken as the 13th QB in the 2005 draft and he is a pro-bowler as well)

Not to be technical, but Brady was drafted 11 drafts ago (12 as of this coming Thursday). 2010 was his 11th season. He was not drafted in the last 10 years.

Also, Do you really want Derek Anderson leading your team? Pro Bowl and all? Sorry, but that's a bit of a reach. Kid came out of nowhere and had a great season, and hasn't really done much since. Case in point. The team that currently employs him is among the teams rumored to be prepared to spend a high pick on a QB. That sort of tells me that D Anderson is not the answer to this question.

So, that pretty much leaves Cassel unless David Garrard was late enough. And those guys are nice stories and all but hardly elite.

I think there will always be gems that slip through the first round. Scouts and GM's are so enamored of the "prototypical guy" that the Drew Brees', Doug Fluties, and Fran Tarkingtons will fall.Scouts can't measure heart. They can't measure desire and work ethic at studying.

I agree with your major premise. I also agree with Broncos'.

I don't think "heart" guys are getting overlooked or that scouts fail to measure that. Rather, that they realize that plenty of guys with heart still don't quite make it. Sure, you can point to a guy like Brees and say, "Hearts the most important thing, just look at Brees". But then explain why nearly every successful starting QB in the league fits the physical mold?

The little guy with heart who puts his team over the top still remains the exception. Hell, many of the success stories still fell short. Everybody loves Flutie, and he was a gutty guy who had some success, but he's among the best of the little guys with heart and he's not considered among the best QBs of all time. Well, not counting the CFL.

So, even if a team realizes that a guy is a genius and a born leader and a work-a-holic, they still have to realize that the odds are still staked against him based on past success. And, in fairness, it's not like Brees came out of nowhere. Everyone loved that pick when the Chargers took him. That they got a stud RB and still managed to get a great QB in the 2nd.

Now, why teams continue to pick big dumb QBs? I have no idea, because the list of busts is littered with those types. That makes no freaking sense at all and I'm not going to defend that tactic at all. I wouldn't choose big and stupid over little and smart when it comes to QBs. I'd just hold out for big and smart.