[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Year of the QB

polksalet

Both played in BCS conferences and both are huge and have big arms. One is a potential first round pick and the other is 6-7th round material. One is super smart nd the other can barely speak English. With such similarity in stats why would you take the dumb one so early and the other so late? I trualy believe this qb draft will have the most busts of any draft. Give me the smart kid late and a good O-lineman early. Its the best way to prevent wasting 20 mill on a moron.

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2010 369 551 3726 67.0 6.76 55 35 10 17 141.10

2010 266 411 3869 64.7 9.41 89 32 12 25 163.65

Thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko:

I think Mallett will be the best quarterback from the class.

Well I don't think I have to go into detail about that, but to each his own I guess. We've been having QB debates for 3 1/2 months now..and well...I often Ponder what will happen to Mallet when he steps under center.

Matt Schaub is the only QB taken in the draft that wasn't in the first two rounds over the last 10 years that has even remotely come close to being successful. I think it has been since Brady that such a QB had a playoff win. Taking a QB in any round later is essentially a wasted pick. There will be some busts at QB, but risk is the only way you are rewarded in regards to that position.

Edited by Seahawks21

Matt Schaub is the only QB taken in the draft that wasn't in the first two rounds over the last 10 years that has even remotely come close to being successful. I think it has been since Brady that such a QB had a playoff win. Taking a QB in any round later is essentially a wasted pick. There will be some busts at QB, but risk is the only way you are rewarded in regards to that position.

Perhaps those taken early are given more of a shot? Would Stafford have been given so long of a leash if he were taken in the 6th?

Define what you consider to be "successful" for a QB.

Matt Schaub is the only QB not taken in the draft that wasn't in the first two rounds over the last 10 years that has even remotely come close to being successful. Taking a QB in any round later is essentially a wasted pick. There will be some busts at QB, but risk is the only way you are rewarded in regards to that position.

I wonder if the scouts are just getting better or if that's an anomaly, because it sure wasn't the case not that long ago. Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, Brett Favre, Rich Gannon, and others I'm sure.

I mean, to be honest, I'm actually very surprised by how many early-round guys have panned out of late.

But you're right, all the best new guys are 1st rounders and, at worst are guys like Brees who slipped to the early part of the 2nd.

I wonder if the scouts are just getting better or if that's an anomaly, because it sure wasn't the case not that long ago. Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, Brett Favre, Rich Gannon, and others I'm sure.

I mean, to be honest, I'm actually very surprised by how many early-round guys have panned out of late.

But you're right, all the best new guys are 1st rounders and, at worst are guys like Brees who slipped to the early part of the 2nd.

Personally, I blame most of the new trend on Tom Brady. QB scouting has become so much more intense that a guy like that is less likely to fall through the cracks. There will be a guy every now and again that comes around and will be successful, but scouts appear to have gotten a lot better at finding the guy. Also, as Polk mentioned, guys that aren't seen as having that pedigree simply aren't getting shots at it anymore.

Define what you consider to be "successful" for a QB.

Go down the list. Think of every QB who's been drafted since 2000 that you would consider "good". Almost all of them are 1st or 2nd rounders.

AFC East

Brady barely makes the cut, being drafted in 2000

Sanchez is OK but his team has made nice play-off runs

Neither Miami or Buffalo have a guy who counts as "successful", agreed?

AFC North

Big Ben, Flacco, Palmer (not sure when he was drafted) all qualify as "good" all were 1st rounders, Cleveland doesn't have one

AFC West

Rivers obviously counts, Cassel is on the climb, so count him if you want to contradict yourself in the other thread. Neither Denver or Oakland have a qualifier

AFC South

Manning's too old, I guess you could count Garrard, Collins is too old, Schaub was already mentioned, and btw, went in the 3rd, so it's not like he was a super late rounder.

NFC East

Eli Manning, Mike Vick, McNabb were 1st rounders, Romo was not (so there's another)

NFC North

Stafford if he counts, Rodgers does, Cutler if he counts, Favre is too old to qualify

NFC South

Brees, Freeman if he counts, Ryan. Carolina doesn't have a good QB

NFC West

Hasslebeck is too old, Bradford if he counts, neither AZ or SF has a guy who is good.

So, there you go, add Romo to the list and I'd put Cassel on there considering some of the others who have made it. And if you want to be really picky about the time frame, add Brady as well. But in 1 week, he'll be 11 years ago.

So, Seahawks missed by a couple, but the point remains.

Edited by detlef

Well living in the San Fran bay area ,, all we can think of is Alex Smith & Jamarcus Russel

Talk about wasted picks and great scouting :wacko::tup:

I still wonder about whether Smith would have been better had his situation been better. Kid played on a horrible team and had, like 4 OCs in his first 4 years or something. Got his ass kicked behind a wretched O-line.

I mean, that doesn't mean you shouldn't put a fork in him, but I wonder how much of it was really his fault and bad scouting.

I'd like to add Matt Cassel to the list.

Orignally a 2nd-round pick.

Gruden exposes Cam Newton :wacko:

“You know, some of this verbiage in the NFL, I don’t know how it was at Auburn, but it’s — it’s long. You’ve got the shifts, the plays, the protections, the snap count, the alert, the check-with-mes,” Gruden said, snapping his fingers after listing each element of an NFL play call.

Then Gruden rattled one off: “I mean, flip right, double-X, Jet, 36 counter, naked waggle, X-7, X-quarter.” As Gruden was firing off that play, Newton shook his head and smiled, as if he’d never head before anything like that, ever.

Then Gruden pounced.

“Call something at Auburn that’s a little verbal,” Gruden said, obviously knowing the answer to the question. “What would be a little verbal? Any recollection on that?

Newton: “Um.”

“Gimme something,” Gruden said. “What’s an Auburn play sound like?”

“I mean, you’re putting me on the — on the spot,” Newton said.

Having already proven his point, Gruden then gave Newton a lifeline. “You guys don’t get in the huddle much though, right?” Gruden said.

Newton welcomed that one. “We really don’t,” Newton said. “And our method is ‘simplistic equals fast.’ It’s so simple as far as, you look to the sideline [and] you see 36 on the board. And that’s a play. And we’re off.”

“That’s awesome,” Gruden said, but presumably not using the word in the same way that, say, Chris Farley would have.

Wow... now that has got to be very scary if you are a team thinking about drafting this guy.

Since you want to use 10 years for obvious reasons, let me make a couple of lists. The first are names of some QBs drafted in rounds 1/2 in those 10 years, the other list are some of the guys drafted after round 2. Then you tell me which list you would rather pick a QB from:

Rds 1/2

Pat White

Brian Brohm

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

John Beck

Drew Stanton

Matt Leinart

Kellen Clemens

JP Losman

Kyle Boller

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Patrick Ramsey

Quincey Carter

Marquis Tuiasosopo

After Rd 2

Josh Johnson

Matt Flynn

Trent Edwards

Tyler Thigpen

Charlie Whitehurst

Derek Anderson

Matt Cassell

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Matt Schaub

David Garrard

Now after you choose which list you like better, tell me one one required more initial cost & risk.