[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are lawyers/judges becoming too powerful?

gbpfan1231

My father and I were talking the other day about how things seem to always end up in the hands of lawyers nowadays. Is this just more noticeable now or are lawyers becoming more powerful?

Just off the top of my head look at the things that are in the hands of lawyers and it also seems like lawyers/judges are ruling more based on political sides than being partisan.

The NFL labor dispute is all in the hands of lawyers/judges

The election in California was greatly influenced by Gloria Allred

The Wisconsin Supreme court election is in the hands of lawyers/judges determining what votes count and maybe rulings to stall the election results

The Wisconsin budget bill is stalled in the courts

It seems like everything that happens at work needs to be reviewed by a lawyer and then by the other sides (customer/vendor) lawyer.

I heard rumors that the BCS title race is now being looked into and may come in front of the courts.

Is this just more transparent now or are too may things being put in the hands of lawyers/judges?

Also - assuming more things are being put in the hands of lawyers/judges is this a good or bad thing?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father and I were talking the other day about how things seem to always end up in the hands of lawyers nowadays. Is this just more noticeable now or are lawyers becoming more powerful?

Just off the top of my head look at the things that are in the hands of lawyers and it also seems like lawyers/judges are ruling more based on political sides than being partisan.

The NFL labor dispute is all in the hands of lawyers/judges

The election in California was greatly influenced by Gloria Allred

The Wisconsin Supreme court election is in the hands of lawyers/judges determining what votes count and maybe rulings to stall the election results

The Wisconsin budget bill is stalled in the courts

It seems like everything that happens at work needs to be reviewed by a lawyer and then by the other sides (customer/vendor) lawyer.

I heard rumors that the BCS title race is now being looked into and may come in front of the courts.

Is this just more transparent now or are too may things being put in the hands of lawyers/judges?

Also - assuming more things are being put in the hands of lawyers/judges is this a good or bad thing?

Not to mention the ruling in Florida that gave GWB the election . . .

:wacko::tup::lol:

I cant tell if you actually beleive this stuff or are just fishing . . . .

What am I fishing for?

It just seems like more and more things are coming in front of the courts and ruled on then appealed an on and on. It just seems to be happening more and more.

No I am not fishing.

becoming?

Well that was one of my questions... It seems more to me but maybe it is just more transparent right now and maybe more in Wisconsin than normal. To me it seems like it is becoming that way but it is no different than before???

Well that was one of my questions... It seems more to me but maybe it is just more transparent right now and maybe more in Wisconsin than normal. To me it seems like it is becoming that way but it is no different than before???

I think the point is this is not exactly a new thing, although one could argue it's getting worse. Really our legal system has IMO been a joke for some time. I mean cmon one look at Judge Ito should have been bemore than enough. Any doubts I had about how pathetic our legal system is (not to mention our society given their obsession w/all that, but that's another t topic) were wiped out w/that whole circus of the absurd.

Its kind of a good thing when disputes are resolved by lawyers and judges and the law ... as opposed to any alternative, like guns, bombs, RPS or a nasty round of the dozens ...

Really our legal system has IMO been a joke for some time.

Being somewhat of a dabbler in the area, I'd appreciate a learned opinion. If you would, please tell us:

1) What is wrong with the US system of jurisprudence?

2) What measures you would implement in an attempt to fix those problems?

3) The anticipated results of those measures.

TIA

Lawyers guns and money!

Lawyers are kind of like guns. They're inert by themselves - its the people who use them for evil purposes that are the problem. Though both are more dangerous when loaded.

Its kind of a good thing when disputes are resolved by lawyers and judges and the law ... as opposed to any alternative, like guns, bombs, RPS or a nasty round of the dozens ...

Being somewhat of a dabbler in the area, I'd appreciate a learned opinion. If you would, please tell us:

TIA

Edited by bushwacked

I'm not saying lawyers and judges have run amok with their power. But, if you take a look at the previous occupations of many of the congressmen and senators, well, there ya go.

Edited by SEC=UGA

TIA

My main issue with "the system" is it seems like it takes forever to get anything done. Look at the NFL situation. One judge makes a ruling and then another issues a stay ruling and now it goes to another judge. How long will this go on for? What good was the first ruling? No matter what side would have won we would have had another ruling from someone else.

Same thing in the business world. Took us like 2-3 months for a lawyer to write up a terms and conditions sheet for our compnay to work for both USA and Canada. It was written and reviewed by in house lawyers (in europe) and revised over and over. I would have thought it would be pretty standard. We are currently looking to roll our Canada entity into our USA entity and I am cringing at getting a lawyer involved for cobtracts that we have that I am sure will need to be revised for a new company - why can't something as simple as "All terms of old contract are still valid with ne entity called xxxx" - I am sure this will involve language that I can't even read.

Nothing seems to be simple.

Perhaps its not that lawyers and judges are gaining power, but that Americans are having more disputes (which they themselves are unwilling or unable to resolve themselves.)

Perhaps its not that lawyers and judges are gaining power, but that Americans are having more disputes (which they themselves are unwilling or unable to resolve themselves.)

We're paying the lawyers/judges and that equals them being powerful. Just like how we are pumping money into China through Wal-Marts.

Lawyers are kind of like guns. They're inert by themselves - its the people who use them for evil purposes that are the problem. Though both are more dangerous when loaded.

Lawyers are more like sentient guns. They have the ability to sniff $$ and go after it.

As an interesting and somewhat related aside, Ron Paul was on the Diane Rehm show earlier this week. He, as many of you may know, is in favor of getting many of many regulatory agencies, and expressed the idea that protecting against corporate malfeasance before the fact does not work. What I found terribly interesting was that, under his system, lawsuits would provide the mechanism whereby businesses that participated in fraud/illegality would be punished.

I'm not saying lawyers and judges have run amok with their power. But, if you take a look at the previous occupations of many of the congressmen and senators, well, there ya go.

I've never seen any statistics that show the percentage of people in Congress that actually practiced law. Having a law degree doesn't mean that you're a lawyer.

I've never seen any statistics that show the percentage of people in Congress that actually practiced law. Having a law degree doesn't mean that you're a lawyer.

36% of Congress is the best I can do (and this does include those who have a JD.)

ETA - Here is a better breakdown.

Edited by SEC=UGA

So does having a doctorate mean you are not a doctor?

Counseler, I would stipulate that having a law degree does in fact make you a lawyer. However it is possible to be a lawyer without actively practicing law. :wacko: