[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

$5 albums on amazon

Azazello1313

we usually go ape-poop when they have the five dollar craziness.

Last time we got the Fratellis, Brett Dennon, the Decemberists and the John Butler Trio among others. We've yet to tare into this list. Any must haves at first glace?

Looks like they are trying to drive more business to their cloud drive.

Someone have the inclination to break down the whole cloud thing? I'm hearing more and more about it. I run a Mac at home and, thus, have everything on iTunes. Frankly, there's little about it that I'm in love with, other than the fact that it basically works. If this cloud deal is the shizzle, then I'd be curious in checking it out.

Someone have the inclination to break down the whole cloud thing? I'm hearing more and more about it. I run a Mac at home and, thus, have everything on iTunes. Frankly, there's little about it that I'm in love with, other than the fact that it basically works. If this cloud deal is the shizzle, then I'd be curious in checking it out.

"The Cloud" is effectively th concept of using your personal computer not for storage, but as the interface to your data. If you use hotmail, gmail, etc, you are using "the cloud", in that your data is stored on servers in a different location from your interface (your computer, smartphone, etc). If you use Microsoft exchange for work email, that can be compared to the cloud, only it is on a closed network. The concept is the same; a central data repository (the exchange server) stores your email, and you can access it from any computer on the network.

For music applications like Amazon, what you have is your music catalog stored on remote servers, and you can access your music from anywhere. so your music library isn't limited by the size of the hard drive you store it to, it's limited by the access to the internet and quality of the connection (and how much space you purchase).

Google Docs is another example of "cloud computing". You store your data on someone else's servers and can access them anywhere you have internet access. So is the Windows SkyDrive.

DRAWBACKS:

Amazon's user agreement for the Cloud Drive --- “5.2 Our Right to Access Your Files. You give us the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files: to provide you with technical support and address technical issues; to investigate compliance with the terms of this Agreement, enforce the terms of this Agreement and protect the Service and its users from fraud or security threats; or as we determine is necessary to provide the Service or comply with applicable law” READ: if you have illegally obtained music in your cloud drive, they can hand you off to the record companies and you can join in on their trillion dollar lawsuits.

Also, there is no file sharing, no automatic back up system, and you'll pay out the a$$ for additional space. If you just use Amazon's cloud to access the music you buy from amazon its a pretty good deal. you get 5GB free and the music you download from them doesn't count against your space.

"The Cloud" is effectively th concept of using your personal computer not for storage, but as the interface to your data. If you use hotmail, gmail, etc, you are using "the cloud", in that your data is stored on servers in a different location from your interface (your computer, smartphone, etc). If you use Microsoft exchange for work email, that can be compared to the cloud, only it is on a closed network. The concept is the same; a central data repository (the exchange server) stores your email, and you can access it from any computer on the network.

For music applications like Amazon, what you have is your music catalog stored on remote servers, and you can access your music from anywhere. so your music library isn't limited by the size of the hard drive you store it to, it's limited by the access to the internet and quality of the connection (and how much space you purchase).

Google Docs is another example of "cloud computing". You store your data on someone else's servers and can access them anywhere you have internet access. So is the Windows SkyDrive.

DRAWBACKS:

Amazon's user agreement for the Cloud Drive --- “5.2 Our Right to Access Your Files. You give us the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files: to provide you with technical support and address technical issues; to investigate compliance with the terms of this Agreement, enforce the terms of this Agreement and protect the Service and its users from fraud or security threats; or as we determine is necessary to provide the Service or comply with applicable law” READ: if you have illegally obtained music in your cloud drive, they can hand you off to the record companies and you can join in on their trillion dollar lawsuits.

Also, there is no file sharing, no automatic back up system, and you'll pay out the a$$ for additional space. If you just use Amazon's cloud to access the music you buy from amazon its a pretty good deal. you get 5GB free and the music you download from them doesn't count against your space.

So, for those with 80 or so gigs of music on our computers who may have gotten one or two songs "the easy way" would probably want to stick with keeping their tunes on their own computer?

So, for those with 80 or so gigs of music on our computers who may have gotten one or two songs "the easy way" would probably want to stick with keeping their tunes on their own computer?

meh. I can't really see being concerned about it. at most, they can peek at stuff you've uploaded to their drive. anything you're concerned about, just don't load to their cloud.

I am kind of in love with the cloud player thing. anything you buy from amazon they store indefinitely and it doesn't count against your storage limit. that means you can download it to your itunes or whatever, but you can also access it anywhere you can log into amazon (including your phone if you have 3g speed) and listen to it or download it there. you can also upload up to 20GB of your own music (or documents) and have the same access.

last night from this batch of $5 albums, I bought:

emmylou harris - pieces of the sky

steve earle - transcendental blues

13th floor elevators - easter everywhere

circle (chick corea/dave holland/barry altschul) - a.r.c.

DRAWBACKS:

A very good summary. Cloud is in three parts - application, development and infrastructure. The above is mostly the infrastructure piece, in this case storage. Applications that are cloud based include Salesforce.com .

13th floor elevators - easter everywhere

I bought their three disk set about a year back and it's excellent. Of course, given the nature of the band and it's primary member, it's uneven but still a great anthology. I dunno if anyone else has ever managed to feature an electric jug so much...........

Edited by Ursa Majoris

• 2 weeks later...