[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

this is horrible

polksalet

This is one of the darkest days in our area ever. Apparently someone torched a house about 3/4 miles from me. The mom, her 12 y/o girl, and 8 year old son all died in the fire. I haven't talked to Jr. but I'm sure he was friends with them since the school is so small. I really don't know what to say.Good grief this is bad. If it really was arson, man I just don't know what to say. The Rangers and ATF are all down there.

http://www.ksla.com/story/14622750/major-h...x-home-occupied

My first thought was wondering why you would even mention arson, since it's pretty unlikely/rare for that to be the case. Then I saw this update:

Triple fatal fire is now being treated as a homicide investigation

That is extremely sad and disturbing... I can not imagine why someone would do such a thing. :wacko:

Horrible tragedy. Couldn't help but notice this: "One of the children apparently called his/her grandparents to let them know that the house was on fire. The grandparents then called 911. "

The kids were 8 and 11. Does no one teach their kids to get the F out of a burning building THEN place a phone call?

They told us at daycare across street from scene that the 12 y/o girl called grandparents said there was a fight and someone started a fire. Also heard they found a dead guy with a gun.

Edited by polksalet

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Suspect status unclear in Doss murders

Officials keep silent on 17-year-old’s closed hearing

By: Lynn LaRowe - Texarkana Gazette

NEW BOSTON, Texas—Bowie County officials remained silent when asked if a closed hearing Tuesday addressed the status of a teen girl accused of the 2011 killing of a Redwater, Texas, woman and her two children.

But the teen’s mother and her lawyers, Scrappy Holmes and Tonda Curry of Longview,Texas, entered County Court at Law Judge Jeff Addison’s courtroom shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday.

The girl was 16 when Amanda Doss, 34, Guinevere Doss, 11, and Texas Johnson, 8, were killed in their home on Farm to Market Road 991 between Texarkana and Redwater. The girl has since turned 17, Bowie County Sheriff James Prince said in a previous interview.

In Texas, individuals accused of committing a crime while under the age of 17 are dealt with in juvenile court, while those 17 and above are considered adults for purposes of prosecution.

A juvenile court can waive jurisdiction and transfer a case to district court under certain circumstances, including suspected capital murder. A defendant age 10 and above can be transferred to stand trial as an adult if a juvenile court finds probable cause exists to believe the juvenile committed capital murder.

Bowie County District Attorney Jerry Rochelle said he could not comment on the case.

In a previous interview, Prince said Addison issued a gag order preventing officials from talking about the juvenile case.

Bowie County’s administrative district judge, 202nd District Judge Leon Pesek Jr., said the law does not specify whether an order certifying a juvenile as an adult is public record. If a child certified as an adult is indicted by a grand jury, that would be matter of public record.

As of presstime Tuesday, no entries in Bowie County’s booking log showed a charge of capital murder.

According to the Texas Family Code, a move from juvenile court for criminal proceedings is an arrest.

“On transfer of the person for criminal proceedings, the person shall be dealt with as an adult and in accordance with the Code of Criminal Procedure,” according to section 54.02 of the Texas Family Code.“The transfer of custody is an arrest.”

But a teen transferred from juvenile to district court and convicted of capital murder will not face the same punishment the law provides for those 17 and above. Adult capital murder defendants face death by lethal injection or life without the possibility of parole.

Defendants who are convicted of capital murder following a transfer from juvenile court face a sentence of life with the possibility of parole after 40 years, according to the Texas penal code.

The girl was arrested Aug. 13 after allegedly confessing to BCSO investigators.

Doss’ body was on fire when her parents, Wanda and Glen Prewett, arrived on the scene after receiving a call from Guinevere in the early morning hours, a search warrant affidavit states.

Guinevere was allegedly screaming for her mother before the connection was lost. The Prewetts were only able to pull Guinevere’s body from the burning house before the fire’s intensity drove them out, the affidavit states.

Investigators collected knives, shell casings, guns and paint cans from the crime scene.

Published: 02/01/2012