[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Celebrity/Athlete/Famous person

whomper

From a music stand point SRV was devastating to me. I idolized the guy and he had just gotten off drugs and had an awesome album with in step.

Like Gopher, Harmon Killebrew's death has affected me more than I thought it would, probably due to literally everyone saying what a great person he was, aside from his almost unmatched ability to hit incredibly long homers.

In no particular order:

Ian Curtis, Joy Division singer, whose death announcement I heard live on the radio.

Randy California, Spirit guitarist, whose death I didn't even know about until 18 months after it happened. Best guitarist I ever saw.

Walter Payton

I'm sure there are more.

Oh I'll add another, can't believe I forgot to mention him in my initial post... Chick Hearn.

I had to pull off to the side of the road - I had just returned to NorCal fro SoCal and had taken the BART up to pick my truck up - and wept a little bit. I watched a TON of basketball (and mainly Laker basketball) growing up and it was almost like he was a grandfather to me since I never met one of mine and my other died when I was 12.

:wacko:

Biggie shook me up pretty bad. Tupac as well. Big L, Guru and Easy E. I wasn't a huge fan, but Kurt Cobain hit us pretty hard locally. Obviously MJ. I thought that guy was going to be a spectacle for years and years to come. That next tour was going to be the one we had been waiting for for decades.

Your post made me recall how I felt when I heard that Jam Master Jay was killed. I grew up in Detroit in the 80's and RUN DMC were like gods to me.

Later in life I felt pretty crappy when I heard that John F. Kennedy Jr. died. His age, the way he died and the whole family history made it all seem pretty tragic.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

Everyone else has pretty much covered mine: Farley & Hartman stand out for me.

I saw my Dad out-and-out cry maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. However, the man couldn't talk about Clemente, without mentioning the way he died, trying to provide humanitarian aid. My Dad would tear up every single time that he mentioned Clemente. He was my Dad's hero, and because of that, I've since read countless books on the man. He was an example of what I wish every athlete could be. My Dad was buried with a Clemente jersey on under his suit. Hopefully, my Dad got to meet his hero in the after-life.