[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Corp of Engineers

nuke'em ttg

Don't even get me started on these morans. We have had our cabin almost flooded out twice in the past month due to them not controlling the water worth a damn.

Yeah, the corp is really messing w. GA with regard to Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee.

Don't even get me started on these morans. We have had our cabin almost flooded out twice in the past month due to them not controlling the water worth a damn.

there's a dam up river, farmland that doesn't have sprinkler systems, now an entire High end community is gonna be under water for 2 months, Mansions i've laid wood floors in...that's bout all i'm gonna say

I'm no engineer, but it seems to me that altering the natural course of water is a monumental task.

No doubt, the Morganza and Bonnet Carre Spillways are monumental. They are absolutely amazing to see. We got lucky here in Baton Rouge, lucky by inches.

I'm no engineer, but it seems to me that altering the natural course of water is a monumental task.

I agree, but they could empty the water out slowly rather than waiting until the lake is at the top of the flood pool and opening all the gates up five feet. At least that's what they've done here twice within a four week time period.

ever see the panama cannel show where the frogs quit and with acouple bulldozers and some trucks the U.S got r done....blew the chit out of the malaria invest pools too :tup: yer right though Furd, i know 1st hand the force of water :wacko:

:wacko:

Well as you probably know, FEMA has several flood zone designations, and the higher-risk zones have restrictions on development.

Perhaps FEMA needs to re-assess the zoning designations and perhaps the building restrictions as well.

if people had any idea how jacked up their methodology is, nevermind, they'd still build houses in flood plains.

Fine work by the corp of engineers!

ETA: The water level in these photos is 1430 feet above sea level.

How timely!

I live in Pierre, SD and because we are small and not very populated we are not getting the national coverage other floods have gotten. Pierre is down stream from the second largest earthen dam in the world Oahe Dam. The Missouri River Dam system was created for flood control and this year they have flood controlled themselves into record levels. Average output for Oahe Dam is 25,000 cfs (cubic feet per second). We are currently at 85,000 and by next Tuesday, June 7, we will be at 150,000 cfs. Our city, state and the corp are building emergency levees right now. They are supposed to be done by Thursday, when they increase to 100,000 cfs. Final elevation is supposed to be 1434 ft above sea level, but I don't trust them. I spent the weekend moving people out of their homes and helping sand bag others. I understand the flood plain thing, but with a dam over a mile wide three miles away, you would think you wouldn't have to worry about it unless it broke, then we would all be Ginsued anyway. I am fortunate to live on the hill with a view of the dam.

The ironic thing is the worst flood the city has every seen was in 1952 prior to the dam being built. We will exceed that level by two feet.

Edited by Rebellab

The Egyptians seemed to do it pretty well.

yeah, their culture was based on the Nile flooding everywhere. Its easy to manage floods when you just let me go.

:wacko: While this is true, there engineering shrewdness is off the charts.

And their ability to enslave motivate workers was unprecedented.

Every electrical plan I've seen by the corp of engineers has been an f-ing abomination that looks absolutely nothing like what is commonly used in commercial practices (eventhough commercial/industrial contractors are the ones who build military buildings). I don't know chit about how they control the water though. :wacko: