[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama issues DREAM Act by Executive Order

peepinmofo

How in the world can anyone think this is ok for any president to do?

I think many people would be surprised how often politicians interpret their powers and the rules that limit them differently than the people they govern.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that so far Peep and Az (and kind of BP) are the olnly ones to actually comment on the content of the Executive Order. So far the great persuasive argument in favor of this from the Lefties is, "But Bush signed Executive Orders too." Pretty much the definition of blind partisanship there. It doesn't matter what Obama does as long as he does it as a Democrat.

At least Az is willing to say he thinks it is good and then tell us why. And at least BP is willing to acknowledge the difference in weight and scope between this particular EO and past ones.

Personally I'm disturbed that this kind of (can we call it legislation?) can be implemented before we've made even the slightest attempt to fix our pourous borders. I think a lot more people could be convinced that this would be ok if we waited a year after seriously cracking down on the giant illegal immigration problem that we have. But of course only the majority of us lowly citizens want that to happen. Politicians on both sides of the aisle are too chikenchit to do anything about it.

I find it interesting that so far Peep and Az (and kind of BP) are the olnly ones to actually comment on the content of the Executive Order. So far the great persuasive argument in favor of this from the Lefties is, "But Bush signed Executive Orders too." Pretty much the definition of blind partisanship there. It doesn't matter what Obama does as long as he does it as a Democrat.

FICTION. :wacko: Club made ONE post on a count total. Netiher bush nor I appear to have heard of it before: I ask peeps to clarify whether he believes this leads to illeagls voting (which would make it a Zobama!!1!!) and bush clarifies cliaz's uninformed definition of what an executive order is.

No, we just simply didn't jump to conclusions, nor make authoritative comments on things we're only just learning about.

You think INS can't wait until a service memeber finishes their service in the combat zone before deprting their spouse?

That is a direct comment on the content of the Executive Order.

Of course you missed it. Pretty much the definition of blind partisanship there. It doesn't matter what other people say if it isn't what you want to hear. That or you filed to read the content of the Executive Order.

I find that interesting too.

FICTION. :wacko: Club made ONE post on a count total. Netiher bush nor I appear to have heard of it before: I ask peeps to clarify whether he believes this leads to illeagls voting (which would make it a Zobama!!1!!) and bush clarifies cliaz's uninformed definition of what an executive order is.

No, we just simply didn't jump to conclusions, nor make authoritative comments on things we're only just learning about.

It is very simple. This allows illegals to vote by giving them citizenship. They may not be illegal after this passes, but they were before.

Personally I'm disturbed that this kind of (can we call it legislation?) can be implemented before we've made even the slightest attempt to fix our pourous borders. I think a lot more people could be convinced that this would be ok if we waited a year after seriously cracking down on the giant illegal immigration problem that we have. But of course only the majority of us lowly citizens want that to happen. Politicians on both sides of the aisle are too chikenchit to do anything about it.

Well, since left of wing nut is considered democrat around here, I'll put my 2 cents in.

I guess I don't really have a problem with the DREAM act legislation. I gave up a long time ago on sending illegals all back to Mexico. It'll just never happen (and possibly it shouldn't as it may cause more problems than it'd solve). But that being said, I would much rather have some form of carrot & stick approach to immigration. Give the people here a way to make themselves legal and then squeeze the border as tight as we can. If we need to change work visas, than so be it. Both parties are chickenchit about doing something on the borders, but if Bush didn't do it during his tenure I don't know if it'll ever happen. I mean, he could have used 9/11 as a reason/excuse, he wasn't afraid of doing unpopular things, and the right would have probably gotten behind it. It's too bad we wasted so much time, energy, and treasure on wars instead of doing what should have been a no-brainer and drastically improving our border security post 9/11.

Well, since left of wing nut is considered democrat around here, I'll put my 2 cents in.

I guess I don't really have a problem with the DREAM act legislation. I gave up a long time ago on sending illegals all back to Mexico. It'll just never happen (and possibly it shouldn't as it may cause more problems than it'd solve). But that being said, I would much rather have some form of carrot & stick approach to immigration. Give the people here a way to make themselves legal and then squeeze the border as tight as we can. If we need to change work visas, than so be it. Both parties are chickenchit about doing something on the borders, but if Bush didn't do it during his tenure I don't know if it'll ever happen. I mean, he could have used 9/11 as a reason/excuse, he wasn't afraid of doing unpopular things, and the right would have probably gotten behind it. It's too bad we wasted so much time, energy, and treasure on wars instead of doing what should have been a no-brainer and drastically improving our border security post 9/11.

Please identify the serious problems that deporting illegals would pose.

You southern folk might have to work, rather than living off the government dole. :wacko:

That ain't no negative no how... (the triple negative, beat that Yankee...)

Mass herding of 20 million (# pulled from arse) people would decimate some communities, business, and make America look like the Gustapo. If people are already here, there children were born here, they work, pay taxes, and WANT to become citizens... at some point I'll put up with it as long as we actually do something about the border. I could give a chit less about who votes for what.

According to you it would rob the Democrats of millions and billions of votes, so naturally my blind partisanship asks you why that is a problem?

Deporting illegals costing democrats votes is not a problem. Though, I don't think I said that, nor implied that, prior to the preceding sentence.

What I said is that the Dream Act ostensibly allows illegals to vote in the regard that it grants citizenship to those who were illegal prior to the Dream Act's authorization. Further, this galvanizes the adoration of democrats toward a certain ethnic group (or portion thereof) who have been seeking such a law to be passed.

It does conversely, though, alienate a segment of liberal voters who were against such legislation being passed, but I think you will find that the potential gain in votes from the target constituency will be greater than the loss of votes to those on the left who he alienated. Further, it could greatly help them in states where latinos could prove to be a crucial part of the electorate in a number of states (GA, FL, TX, AZ... etc...) where the populace has been split pretty much 50/50 between the two parties.

I find it interesting that so far Peep and Az (and kind of BP) are the olnly ones to actually comment on the content of the Executive Order.

Yer slow. I commented on it, but a previous post before mine erroneously claimed executive orders were unconstitutional if they didn't meet certain criteria, so I posted the gaggle of orders posted during the previous administration that obviously didn't all meet that criteria.

Not sure why it matters anyway....Peep insinuated it gave all illegals the right to vote and you're giving him props for commenting on it. :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

The link is down for some reason.

Are we sure that President Obama issued an Executive Order enacting the DREAM Act? The article referenced an Executive Order issued by President Obama on June 21, 2011 but according to the Federal Register he hasn't issued an Executive Order since June 18, 2011 and he did not enact the DREAM Act on June 18, 2011.

I sure as f*ck find that interesting becuase the atricle that is no longer available sure did say an Executive Order had been issued enacting the DREAM Act.

Are we sure that President Obama issued an Executive Order enacting the DREAM Act? The article referenced an Executive Order issued by President Obama on June 21, 2011 but according to the Federal Register he hasn't issued an Executive Order since June 18, 2011 and he did not enact the DREAM Act on June 18, 2011.

I sure as f*ck find that interesting becuase the atricle that is no longer available sure did say an Executive Order had been issued enacting the DREAM Act.

:wacko: Is that a NObama?

E2A: and I'll add I'm not a fan of it with the military service proviso in it. Beyond that, we're at some point where limited amnesty is probably already on the table and the restrictive requirements for eligibility are certainly in the ballpark of what I find reasonable.

And BTW - it's looking in fact like this never happened.

Edited by Pope Flick

Maybe there was a reason it wasn't being reported by the media. Remember this quote from the article no longer available?

Every major poll has shown that the American people are overwhelmingly opposed to the DREAM Act.

Article from a year ago

The poll, commissioned by First Focus and conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation, indicates that 70 percent of people in the U.S. are in favor of the legislation, an increase from the 58 percent who supported the measure in 2004.

:wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

this sheds some light

John Morton, director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, recently issued a six-page memo about "prosecutorial discretion" that appeared to circumvent Congress and offer Dreamers and others a special dispensation to keep them from being deported. Some online media outlets took the bait and reported that the administration had cleared the way for the provisions of the DREAM Act through an "executive order."

Not true. Only the president can issue an executive order, which has the force of law. This was nothing more than a memorandum from the head of an agency.

The June 17 memo advises: "When weighing whether an exercise of prosecutorial discretion may be warranted for a given alien, ICE officers, agents, and attorneys should consider all relevant factors."

These include: "the circumstances of the person's arrival in the United States and the manner of his or her entry, particularly if the alien came to the United States as a young child . . . the person's pursuit of education in the United States, with particular consideration given to those who have graduated from a U.S. high school or have successfully pursued or are pursuing a college or advanced degrees at a legitimate institution of higher education in the United States ... whether the person, or the person's immediate relative, has served in the U.S. military, reserves, or national guard, with particular consideration given to those who served in combat, etc."

The language about college and the military fooled some people -- on the right and the left -- into thinking this was an attempt to get the DREAM Act in through the backdoor.

On the left, once the memo was leaked (oops!) to immigrant advocates, Obama supporters rushed to declare that their guy had delivered the goods. These poor folks are like a man stranded in the desert, reaching for an ice cold drink that isn't there.

On the right, Kris Kobach, Kansas' secretary of state and a renowned immigration restrictionist, also jumped to all the wrong conclusions about the memo.

"They're pushing the (immigration) agents to be even more lax, to go further in not enforcing the law," Kobach said. "At a time when millions of Americans are unemployed and looking for work, this is more bad news coming from the Obama administration."

So the linked atricle indicating that Obama enacted the DREAM Act by Executive Order was bull$hit? Is that what you are saying?

Certainly seems that way. Goodness me, that means that it's possible that not everything on the Innerwebs is true! :wacko:

Now what? :tup:

It would hurt profits because farms and large chunks of the business sector would no longer be able to exploit them as wage slaves. There would be fewer consumers of day to day goods. It would disrupt a lot of families - families that include American citizens. Frankly, I've met a lot of illegals that are better students and harder workers than the average American.

Mass deportation isn't a realistic, stand alone answer. You need something like the DREAM Act to separate the wheat from the chaff. THEN you deport the chaff.