[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are you drafting Arian Foster #1 this year?

tazinib1

If Vonta Leach is lost in FA, I would curtail expectations of Arian Foster this year. The All-Pro FB wants a HUGH raise and its becoming apparent Houston is not willing to do so. All-Pro FB's are a BIG reason for certain RB's success and I believe Foster is one of them. Just ask LT how important an All-Pro FB is. He should still be a top 5 overall pick, but #1? I'll take AP all day thank you.

All-Pro FB's are a BIG reason for certain RB's success and I believe Foster is one of them. Just ask LT how important an All-Pro FB is.

I think that this is a myth. Do you have any statistics to prove it?

I think that there is a reason why: 1) most teams don't use a FB to any significant degree, if they even have one on their roster; 2) no team will pay significant money for a FB; and 3) Lorenzo Neal, who many consider to be the best blocking FB ever, played for 7 teams in his NFL career and he was cut by at least 4 of them.

Edited by Furd

I think that this is a myth. Do you have any statistics to prove it?

I wish I did. I'm just trying to create some discussion in a rather boring subject field lately. However, it is an intriguing subject matter to discuss if somebody could dig up some stats. I wonder what the boys over at PFF have on the subject.

mehhh

I'm taking Stewart if I get a #1 pick

You are my hero.

Edited by tazinib1

If Vonta Leach is lost in FA, I would curtail expectations of Arian Foster this year. The All-Pro FB wants a HUGH raise and its becoming apparent Houston is not willing to do so. All-Pro FB's are a BIG reason for certain RB's success and I believe Foster is one of them. Just ask LT how important an All-Pro FB is. He should still be a top 5 overall pick, but #1? I'll take AP all day thank you.

The entire team is petitioning that we keep Leach. He is an on/off-field leader for this offense. I hope they don't mess with success.

His peers selected Vonta Leach as the one of the NFL's top 100 players, but Andre Johnson believes the fullback should be the Houston Texans' No. 1 priority this offseason.

Johnson, the Texans' Pro Bowl wide receiver, told the Houston Chronicle that he can't imagine the team's offense without the bruising lead blocker, who could be a free agent after the NFL lockout ends.

Debate: Fullback position a folly?

Vonta Leach's wicked blocking boosted the Texans' ground game last season, but does that make him

one of the NFL's top 100 players? Our experts

share their views. More...

"I don't know who we'll replace him with," Johnson said in a story published Monday. "He's the best at what he does."

Leach's NFL brethren agreed, voting the fullback to NFL Network's "The Top 100 Players of 2011" in the No. 65 spot.

According to the Chronicle, Leach wants to stay with the Texans but on pay commiserate with his standing. Philadelphia Eagles fullback Leonard Weaver is the highest-paid fullback with a three-year, $11.2 million contract that he signed last year, and Leach is eyeing a deal richer than that.

Still, is a player who didn't carry the football once last season worth big money? Johnson says doubters should ask Texans running back Arian Foster, who benefitted from Leach's blocks to lead the NFL in rushing.

"We had a 1,600-yard rusher, and I think that explains itself," Johnson said. "He (Leach) does a great job. He's very important to our offense, and he's good on special teams, too."

Said Leach: "A lot of people don't understand what a fullback brings to the table -- the physicality, the play-action that opens up the pass, a hard-nosed player. I do everything they ask me to do."

Johnson also confirmed that he has tried to recruit cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to join the Texans and help improve the NFL's 30th-ranked pass defense. But even Johnson admits it's a longshot because the franchise hasn't reached the playoffs in its nine-year history.

"It's tough (to sell) because everybody wants to win," Johnson said. "When you haven't been in the playoffs, it makes it a little tougher. But guys also recognize that we're a team on the rise. Hopefully, that'll work out for us, and he'll be part of the Texans. It'll be real tough to get him, but anything can happen."

As a dynasty owner, I'm happy to have both.

:lookatme: :wacko:

I wish I did. I'm just trying to create some discussion in a rather boring subject field lately. However, it is an intriguing subject matter to discuss if somebody could dig up some stats. I wonder what the boys over at PFF have on the subject.

I think that there are too many variables to come out with accurate statistics.

Look at the top 10 rushers for each of the last 5 years or so. Then see if you can remember who he had "bulldozing" the holes for him. Or think about all the important fullbacks on the really successful teams over that span. I think that it pretty much sums it up.

All but a handful of teams are content with throwing a TE or lineman in the backfield when the situation calls for it.

I thought the Carolina running game took a considerate drop-off in 2010 because the cheap owner cut costs by not resigning fullback Nick Goings. I really believe that a good fullback was a key element to the success of the Carolina running game.

Edited by electricrelish

I think that there are too many variables to come out with accurate statistics.

Look at the top 10 rushers for each of the last 5 years or so. Then see if you can remember who he had "bulldozing" the holes for him. Or think about all the important fullbacks on the really successful teams over that span. I think that it pretty much sums it up.

All but a handful of teams are content with throwing a TE or lineman in the backfield when the situation calls for it.

Does seem like alotta teams frequently just use a 3rd OT in two TE sets and stuff.

I think Houstons blocking scheme favors Foster no matter who is at FB....and actually I think the blocking scheme favors the FB and makes his job easier much like what was seen in Denver...

I wouldn't change a thing with Foster....but that's just me, they'll find a capable replacement and not miss a beat because I think this is a situation where the system supersedes the talent...at least in the playmaker positions because their OL has some quality....

I thought the Carolina running game took a considerate drop-off in 2010 because the cheap owner cut costs by not resigning fullback Nick Goings. I really believe that a good fullback was a key element to the success of the Carolina running game.

in the Panthers system, I agree....it's all about the system and the talent at OL.....

another good example is Tony Richardson in KC - they had an outstanding OL and he was already a great FB....this combo led Holmes and Johnson to dominate off and on between the two for almost 5 years...when you take away the OL and the great FB, Johnson couldn't get it done but that is logic....and Richardson wasn't the same anywhere else...

I thought he has some great years in NY?

and not on the Vikings though....he was decent in NY and I think the Jets OL was extremely good and still is obviously....

it would be kind of hard for someone who was even as washed up as Richardson was at that point to be awful in NY with that OL...

I think Houstons blocking scheme favors Foster no matter who is at FB....and actually I think the blocking scheme favors the FB and makes his job easier much like what was seen in Denver...

I wouldn't change a thing with Foster....but that's just me, they'll find a capable replacement and not miss a beat because I think this is a situation where the system supersedes the talent...at least in the playmaker positions because their OL has some quality....

You just hit the nail on the head. Houston's OL is one of the very best in the NFL (3rd highest rated run blocking OL to be exact). However, if they lose Brisiel to FA, Fosters most effective route (via the RG) will be severly hampered.

You just hit the nail on the head. Houston's OL is one of the very best in the NFL (3rd highest rated run blocking OL to be exact). However, if they lose Brisiel to FA, Fosters most effective route (via the RG) will be severly hampered.

I still think that with their system so heavily invested in their run blocking scheme (I believe they still use zone)...they will replace him with someone who is still good....and I always keep in mind that zone blocking schemes tend to make an offensive lineman perform better than what his talent level would suggest - much like the Denver RB's would or an Eagles QB....the system is making the lineman and the RB....not to mention Foster still has quite a bit of talent to boot imo...

Texans | James Casey believes he can be FB

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 07:24:37 -0700

Houston Texans TE James Casey said he is capable to be the team's starting fullback if impending free-agent FB Vonta Leach is not re-signed because he was the backup fullback the last two years and knows what the fullback should do during plays.

Anything to get that guy on the field I'm all for.

Texans | James Casey believes he can be FB

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 07:24:37 -0700

Houston Texans TE James Casey said he is capable to be the team's starting fullback if impending free-agent FB Vonta Leach is not re-signed because he was the backup fullback the last two years and knows what the fullback should do during plays.

Casey is 26 years old and 2 years into a 4 year $1.9 million dollar deal ($480 k for 2011)

Leach is 30 years old and wants a 4 year $12 million dollar deal with $7 million guaranteed.

That's a hugh difference, particularly with respect to a part time player.

So Leach is the better fullback. But does he make that much of a difference to warrant that kind of money? Most would say no.

Casey is 26 years old and 2 years into a 4 year $1.9 million dollar deal ($480 k for 2011)

Leach is 30 years old and wants a 4 year $12 million dollar deal with $7 million guaranteed.

That's a hugh difference, particularly with respect to a part time player.

So Leach is the better fullback. But does he make that much of a difference to warrant that kind of money? Most would say no.

I say run with Casey because he could offer similar quality to Leach at the position especially since he's playing for the same type of contract that Leach will now command...

he's in a system that favors him so Casey is almost a no-brainer at FB to me...

I say run with Casey because he could offer similar quality to Leach at the position especially since he's playing for the same type of contract that Leach will now command...

he's in a system that favors him so Casey is almost a no-brainer at FB to me...

And he adds another weapon on offense as a chip blocking FB/TE. Some have said he has the best hands of any TE in Houston. This should make for an interesting follow.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Foster should have the most receptions of the top RB picks - perhaps around 60 or so - so he could have the most value in a PPR league. I don't think his rushing yards should be that far behind either Johnson or Peterson.

I think Foster should have the most receptions of the top RB picks - perhaps around 60 or so - so he could have the most value in a PPR league. I don't think his rushing yards should be that far behind either Johnson or Peterson.

I would say LeSean McCoy would have a strong number of receptions again this year barring injury and who the Eagles bring in to spell him...

the kubiak/shanny running game system almost always produces with the zone blocking...especially if the qb and passing game can click....good offensive line...good qb/passing game....and foster looks perfect for that system.....

i think hes a little safer than ap and cj....and id probably take him #1 over those guys...although i hate owning a guy after owning them for their "career" year....almost always a let down after that