[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maybe helmets aren't such a bad idea after all

Furd

We can disagree on where to draw the line and various aspects should come into play, such as those I've already mentioned. Odds of a serious injury (and how serious) should obviously also be considered. I would have thought that was stating the very obvious, but then I forgot where I was...

Edited by BeeR

What you say is all true, but if we're going to curtail other people's activities for the safety of the masses, you should start with snowboarders before bikers.

A lot more bikers and "innocent bystanders" on the highways than there are on the slopes.

We can disagree on where to draw the line and various aspects should come into play, such as those I've already mentioned. Odds of a serious injury (and how serious) should obviously also be considered. I would have thought that was stating the very obvious, but then I forgot where I was...

Should smoking be illegal? Not just in restaurants or public places. Just, flat-out, illegal. Essentially everyone who does it, ultimately dies from it. And anyone around you when you smoke can have complications from second hand smoke.

Besides, at what point were you stating the obvious? That riding without a helmet is dangerous and ill-advised. Great, thanks, I doubt there are many here who doubt that. Or were you "stating the obvious" when you drew the line at what should and should not be legal. Because, judging by the number of things that people try to make illegal, that is rarely obvious. Two consenting adults of the same sex getting married is not dangerous to anyone, and yet that is legal almost nowhere in this country. I would think that's an "obviously stupid" law. But apparently I'm in the minority.

The only thing more dangerous than riding a motorcycle is riding one without a helmet. If you have auto insurance, health insurance, enough life insurance to bury your corpse, it your head. If you don't have those three things, you can't afford a motorcycle. If you are still listening, sell the bike.

Should smoking be illegal? Not just in restaurants or public places. Just, flat-out, illegal. Essentially everyone who does it, ultimately dies from it.
? Hardly.

And anyone around you when you smoke can have complications from second hand smoke.
True enough.

I don't smoke so go for it. :wacko:

Again we can play this game all day long, but comparing motorcycle helmets to smoking is apples and oranges (although not as weak as other comparisons I've seen). Once more: various aspects can and do come into play. It's not as simple as "it's dangerous so ban it."

Besides, at what point were you stating the obvious?
At the "various aspects should come into play, such as those I've already mentioned. Odds of a serious injury (and how serious) should obviously also be considered..." part. PS that was not aimed at you but a general comment.

Two consenting adults of the same sex getting married is not dangerous to anyone, and yet that is legal almost nowhere in this country.
Things are not necessarily legal/illegal due to the danger aspects. I would think that is also stating the obvious. Edited by BeeR

I'm not arguing that it isn't a dumb idea to ride without a helmet. And I'm not going to hit the streets and campaign for this right either. But I also do understand that there are no shortage of things that people enjoy that others consider reckless and foolish.

Rock climbing: Free climbing OK? What about leading? Surely top roping is OK though it's still not as safe as not climbing at all. Bouldering up to a certain height without ropes? You can crack your skull falling 10 ft.

:wacko: Det, I love reading your stuff man, but you're in over your head on this one. There's a big difference between our hard-fought personal liberties and public safety on the roadways. You mentioned things like smoking (which personally I think should be an establishment's choice and a person's choice to not go into an establishment that allows smoking), but of course there are laws agianst that pretty much everywhere now anyway, so I won't even get into that; But same goes for the other examples. There's a difference between fun (riding a motorcycle) and being dumb about it. So if you're asking if I support rock climbing without proper safety equipment, then the answer's no. That doesn't mean that should even be illegal persay, but where you draw the line is:

The roadways that we all fund and have to share on a daily basis, and where there are already deadly accidents to be attended to all the time... So for the sake of everyone's safety and well-being, you take every reasonable precaution and take what your doing seriously. Far too many people are oblivious to the dangers when they crank up that high-speed killing machine, and we all have to pay for it, in sad cases with lives.

It's a matter of obligation to all of those around you to take the roadways seriously. Anything beyond that may be open to debate, but it's like my folks used to say, "driving is a privilege, not a right".

that's a pretty extreme statement. Did you lose someone close to you in an accident?

They are dangerous and often it can be another driver's fault. Everyone I know who rides biitches about the dumb drivers who don't look or don't care or just don't see them. Selling the bike was a suggestion among friends. Enjoying riding isn't a character flaw or anything.

Still "stating the obvious"

It's all in how you define "dangerous". Sure, there are plenty of laws that don't protect us from bodily harm, but laws are basically put in place to protect us from something. They protect us from sleazy business practice. They protect us from having our stuff stolen. Some are put in place to protect us from others. Some are put in place to protect us from ourselves. One would argue that the last kind are the ones we need the least. In the case of helmets, they protect the motorist from busting their head open and the rest of us from dealing with that happening. Then again, every such law that is put in place to protect us from ourselves could be spun to include protecting the rest of us from having to deal with the consequences of someone breaking this would-be law.

Can you think of a single law that doesn't protect someone from something?

OK then, who needs protection from two consenting adults of the same sex getting married? Mental midgets who's pathetically low self esteem means they have to define their own marriage based on who else gets to do it? Who are afraid their kids might catch the ghey if those who are ghey are allowed to enjoy the same rights as those of us who aren't?

None the less, the point being is that it is basically never "obvious" that all of us should be expected to draw the line at the same place with regards to what, as a group, we need to be "protected" from.