[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade $ for happiness

MrTed46

Let's assume today you are satisfied with your job (don't wake up and dreed going to work) and you are making enough money to get by.

Would you sacrifice happiness for more pay?

What if your boss offered you 20% increase in salary but for a position you will hate. It's near impossible to put % to happiness, but in this example let's say that 20% increase in pay will cost you 40% of happiness. What if it was 30% increase in pay and even more unhappiness?

Would you take the tradeoff?

Years ago I was asked by someone older than me this question and I told him, I will take unhappiness for more pay. As I get older, I always re-think this question. Today is a day I am thinking of it and I am asking you guys.

Edited by MrTed46

I love my job for the most part and I think I am compensated fairly. I would not take the tradeoff. I've been overstressed and miserable at work and I never want to go back to that. In my 20's and 30's, it was easy enough to blow off steam and come back strong....as you get older, stress can take years off your life.

Only a complete retard would do that since the whole point of money (beyond basic ability to get by/pay bills) is happiness, and since by your parameters having more money will ultimately take away from happiness, not add to it, it's a net loss overall.

What if your boss offered you 20% increase in salary but for a position you will hate. It's near impossible to put % to happiness, but in this example let's say that 20% increase in pay will cost you 40% of happiness. What if it was 30% increase in pay and even more unhappiness?
Impossible to say since happiness can't be measured that way.

I think what you're really getting at is money vs love/hate of the job, not happiness in general - fair?

Edited by BeeR

Only a complete retard would do that since the whole point of money (beyond basic ability to get by/pay bills) is happiness, and since by your parameters having more money will ultimately take away from happiness, not add to it, it's a net loss overall.

There are alot of retards out there then. I know too many people who do this...but then I can argue, they love money more than their happiness/families.

Impossible to say since happiness can't be measured that way.

I think what you're really getting at is money vs love/hate of the job, not happiness in general - fair?

Well, if you hate your job you are generally unhappy. For most people, their job consumes a good chunk of their life.

Don't really care for my job but I really like the money and love the freedom of being self-employed. If I could shoot 10% of my customers then I'd probably love my job. But I wouldn't take a pay cut for a job I love. Family depends on my income too much.

There are alot of retards out there then.

This is news to you?

I know too many people who do this...but then I can argue, they love money more than their happiness/families.

That's because they're retards.

Well, if you hate your job you are generally unhappy.

Not necessarily. If the job offers enough compensation in pay/job security/whatever, what it offers to make one happy in those other ways may be worth it to endure the job itself. For some I know it does in fact. But for others they'd much rather make a meager amount doing a job they love. Probably most of us try to strike a balance.

So, Ted, was this a hypothetical or did you get an offer?

It's actually a question I always circle back to and remember the conversation I had with that person. It was more detailed but I just laid down the basic founation of the conversation. It's funny how my stance has changed over the years.

But as of right now, its hypothethical. No new offers or anything like that.

There is a recurring trend with my mom and some other relatives to pursue money and status in the business world, and scale back and move into fields they enjoy in later years. I think you can only sacrifice yourself for so long before you burn out. And probably most people don't know themselves well enough to know what they really love to do, and understand that happiness trumps money, until their 30's at the earliest. I'm envious of anyone who figures it out early enough to study it in college and then actually begin their career in the field they are ultimately meant to be in. I think for a lot of people, a drastic career change late in life means so much financial sacrifice that they see it as impossible...but in many cases they are actually choosing a lifestyle over happiness.

I think you can only sacrifice yourself for so long before you burn out. And probably most people don't know themselves well enough to know what they really love to do, and understand that happiness trumps money, until their 30's at the earliest. I'm envious of anyone who figures it out early enough to study it in college and then actually begin their career in the field they are ultimately meant to be in. I think for a lot of people, a drastic career change late in life means so much financial sacrifice that they see it as impossible...but in many cases they are actually choosing a lifestyle over happiness.

100% agree with you.

There is a recurring trend with my mom and some other relatives to pursue money and status in the business world, and scale back and move into fields they enjoy in later years. I think you can only sacrifice yourself for so long before you burn out. And probably most people don't know themselves well enough to know what they really love to do, and understand that happiness trumps money, until their 30's at the earliest. I'm envious of anyone who figures it out early enough to study it in college and then actually begin their career in the field they are ultimately meant to be in. I think for a lot of people, a drastic career change late in life means so much financial sacrifice that they see it as impossible...but in many cases they are actually choosing a lifestyle over happiness.

Well said.

I chose $/job security in a field I also liked initially (IT) but like less and less as time goes on. The thing is that is where my whole career has been, so I'm kind of "stuck" - trying to make a wholesale switch wouldn't land me nearly enough to even begin to pay the bills, presuming I could even find a position.

Edited by BeeR

I've always found that if I couldn't find a job that I could at least not mind, then I would not work and be homeless....I would never feel like a slave for money and that's been my mentality and I've only been out of work for almost a year total since I've started working...

Let's assume today you are satisfied with your job (don't wake up and dreed going to work) and you are making enough money to get by.

Would you take the tradeoff?

Years ago I was asked by someone older than me this question and I told him, I will take unhappiness for more pay. As I get older, I always re-think this question. Today is a day I am thinking of it and I am asking you guys.

In short...no. I'd rather make less money & be happy.

I've had many opportunities in my work to move up the ladder and make more money. I've said no every time, because I know I wouldn't enjoy the work at all. I've never regretted it.

I love my job for the most part and I think I am compensated fairly. I would not take the tradeoff. I've been overstressed and miserable at work and I never want to go back to that. In my 20's and 30's, it was easy enough to blow off steam and come back strong....as you get older, stress can take years off your life.

This. I gave up a job where I spent 4 hours a day commuting because it ate into my family time. I was miserable and I hated getting out of bed in the morning. Now, I work from home and am tremendously happier for it. Financially, we are doing fine, bills being paid, money being saved, vacation being planned. So we're not suffering in the least.

I would never make that trade. Good thread...makes people think.

My Dad got a job for a bank right out of college (in the 70s). it was a one building bank. That bank was eventually bought out, that bamk was bought out, etc until he worked for a major bank (yes, you've heard of it). He was an executive vp, whatever that means, but alot of money. His job was 'eliminated' when he was around 55 years old. He had a free year of pay in his contract and spent that time looking for a new job. He found a one building bank that needed a vp. He took a big paycut. He tells me that gettiing fired was the best thing that ever happend to him because he loves his boss being in the same building as him and not 10 different corporate guys/gals that he rarely sees telling him what to do.

In his case, the happiness definitley was more important than the money.

As for me, I'm a bartender :wacko:

I had a tough decision about a month ago. I was offered an administrative job for a bit more money. It would take me out of the classroom that I love, I would be working a few more hours and I would no longer have the summers off with my son. I really wrestled with the decision. I ended up turning down the job. My son is six, and the time we spend together is priceless. As valuable as this job opportunity was, my family time meant more to me.

I thought back to when my father passed away. If I had asked him what he would rather have at the end of his life, I know what his answer would have been. Money and a career can be great, but time for yourself and family is even better.