[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ronald Reagan

bushwacked

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here.” Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. - Senator Barack Obama (March 20, 2006)

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here.” Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. - Senator Barack Obama (March 20, 2006)

It was true then, and its true now. Ultimately the failure to resolve this debt ceiling fiasco is on Congress. But the budget that got us here on the President.

It was true then, and its true now. Ultimately the failure to resolve this debt ceiling fiasco is on Congress. But the budget that got us here on the President.

Ah man, so I can't blame one side and get all self righteous because I cheer for another? :wacko: Now what are we going to do in the tailgate.... :tup:

Aren't you joining us in 12 Men in the Huddle this year?

Well, I was specifically talking about in the Tailgate. I guess taking over the worst team in your keeper league means I have nowhere to go but up. That reminds me, I have to move a couple bucks into my paypal account so I can get my donation into the commish. :wacko:

Well, I was specifically talking about in the Tailgate. I guess taking over the worst team in your keeper league means I have nowhere to go but up. That reminds me, I have to move a couple bucks into my paypal account so I can get my donation into the commish. :wacko:

Awesome! As a noob in the league, go make me a sammich. And just like that, now you have something to do in the Tailgate. :tup:

Awesome! As a noob in the league, go make me a sammich. And just like that, now you have something to do in the Tailgate. :lol:

:tup: Nothing like being here for 5 years just to go back to noob status and sammich making. I'll try to remember to put cheese on it. :wacko:

Yup, I agree with Reagan circa 1984 and disagree with Obama circa 2006.

Because it is only dogmatically convenient for you to do so now. Do you feel lonely being so transparent that people can barely see you? :wacko:

Because it is only dogmatically convenient for you to do so now. Do you feel lonely being so transparent that people can barely see you? :wacko:

Reagan is your God, not ours. Show us some of your pretzel logic and tell us why either Reagan was wrong then or your Tea Party is right now. If one of these two is true, the other must also be true.

Reagan is your God, not ours. Show us some of your pretzel logic and tell us why either Reagan was wrong then or your Tea Party is right now. If one of these two is true, the other must also be true.

:tup:

Labels again. You have no idea who I am or my politics. Like Skins before you, you wont rest until you have neatly packaged into one of your little boxes so you "know" how to handle me. You're funny. But, in a sad, ironic way. :lol:

You can't excuse bad behaviour with bad behaviour. I do not allow your righteous indignat.... ummm self-victimization to intimidate me into taking the focus off of you guys. This is your topic posted by one of your boys. You're as transparent as he is.

Ummm where did you go? :wacko:

:tup:

Labels again. You have no idea who I am or my politics. Like Skins before you, you wont rest until you have neatly packaged into one of your little boxes so you "know" how to handle me. You're funny. But, in a sad, ironic way. :lol:

You can't excuse bad behaviour with bad behaviour. I do not allow your righteous indignat.... ummm self-victimization to intimidate me into taking the focus off of you guys. This is your topic posted by one of your boys. You're as transparent as he is.

Ummm where did you go? :wacko:

So you can't explain it, then?

OK.

So you can't explain it, then?

OK.

OK

Here goes:

Never voted for Reagan. Didn't vote for Obama. I am not affiliated with the tea party. Does that help?

You and I will never have an honest dialogue because I am way too far out of your comfort level. You are not able to put me in a box with a label on it so that you can attack my positions with your secret decoder ring talking points.

Until you can pull out the jar with me in it that has "Christian, Conservative, Tea Party Hack" or some other mundane classification handwritten in Sharpie pen that makes you think you know where I stand so you feel comfortable bringing out that appropriate sub-set of talking points, all you will ever be able to do is call me names and denigrate me. Its OK, I understand completely. People like me frustrate the crap out of you. I still love you man!

I have NEVER been pleased with ANY president, or politician in my lifetime. There are some things that I agree with on many issues, but I passionately disagree with all of them on other issues. The closest I could say that my "politics" lie would be a JFK Democrat. But even he was VERY inexperienced for the job and made some horrendous foreign policy errors (which is being relived to today with our current POTUS). The biggest problem with politicians is that they are politicians. They are self-defeating, especially the career ones.

You see, I am a pragmatist. I do my best to remove all emotion when analysing the world around me and deciding a course of action, without losing my ability to empathise or be compassionate. I believe greatly in the principles of self-reliance and personal accountability. I don't want anything given to me I didn't earn and don't believe others should EXPECT that either. I use my faith to try to help me along the way, but as a human, I am imperfect and will fall many times. I am not right on everything, but there are some problems that do not have perfect solutions, only consequences for the actions we take to "fix" them.

So, you want an explanation? I stand by my statement. It is dogmatically convenient for Bushwacked to accept the words of Reagan now in the current political context, when he wouldn't have then. You guys seem to be very "liberal" in your application of the concept of hypocrisy when applied to people on "your team", but are the first to chastise your "enemies" to the highest order when caught in their own hypocrisy. Politicians, by nature are hypocrites and neither side gets a pass on this one!

The pragmatic reality: Our government is broken and spends more than it takes in. That has to stop. If we can't agree on that pragmatic reality, then the conversation is over. Move along.

Both sides are completely disingenuous in this whole debt ceiling fiasco. The pragmatic reality is that it has to be raised right now. The pragmatic reality is that it is an atrocity that it has to be raised at all!

Many people will be hurt by trying to fix what must be fixed. Just look at Wisconsin and the Greekesque side show we got out of that. We'll fix it as long as it doesn't effect us personally. As a Federal government employee, we have already taken a salary hit and they are talking about more, much more. Forget benefits in the equation, I am talking a 10% plus reduction in salary. Once you are budgeted (which families have to do, why not our government) for a certain monthly expenditure, 10% or more is a hard hit and it will be even tougher on us. I am not happy about these cuts in my earnings, but accept it as part of the fix if that is what is needed, tighten my belt and move on. Now if in the end, they use that money saved for more spending elsewhere, I am gonna be really pissed! If they balance the budget and that is part of what was needed, I did my part, as unpleasant as it was. I was talking to a teacher from Wisconsin visiting family here just after the whole thing up there was over. She was POed. I mean this was one angry woman. We compared her benefits, post "raping" (as she put it) with my fed employee benefits. Her's were STILL superior to mine. I would have loved to have her benefits over mine as a Fed. She was shocked and I think felt a little better about what had happened. (Remember. Federal employees are forbidden by law to have collective bargaining).

The sad truth is that the politicians and the press (yes, Fox news included) are not telling the whole truth. What happens today with all the proposals and the "ten year predictions" is all Bull sh!t! The next congress, and the one after that and so on, are not beholden to anything and can change the rules when the next budget is passed. We are NOT talking about a spending budget right now. We are talking about a nebulous idea of reducing spending while raising our own credit card limit. There are three different animals going on, only loosely tied to each other. Budget, Debt, Entitlements.

The only meaningful budget cuts and entitlement reforms will be those done NOW, not ten years from now. And unless we force our government to make these cuts yearly, until the budget is finally balanced, then we are heading down the sh!tter, all of us together.... Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Both sides of the Washington elite (those politicians that have been there just too dang long ,like Ried, McCain, Durbin, etc.) are terrified of a Balanced Budget Amendment. They don't want to stop over spending "now", but know it has to happen "in the future". They are all out of touch. And forget the pandering of "being in or out of touch with the American People". They are out of touch with the pragmatic realities that face them.

A pragmatist will tell you that there is no time like the present. He will also tell you that it is going to be painful.

Show us some of your pretzel logic and tell us why either Reagan was wrong then or your Tea Party is right now. If one of these two is true, the other must also be true.

That was my first thought also. Apparently he wasn't clever enough to figure out he set his own trap in his desperate desire to throw an unsolicited barb in my direction.

Edited by bushwacked

That was my first thought also. Apparently he wasn't clever enough to figure out he set his own trap in his desperate desire to throw an unsolicited barb in my direction.

Proverbs 22:10 :wacko: I still can't see you.

Apparently you aren't smart enough to understand what he wrote. This little Reagan game is already stale. Times are completely different than they were in the 80's. You know that and so do your little boyfriends.

Proverbs 22:10 :wacko: I still can't see you.

1 Timothy 6:10 ill give you all the version i can.....

New International Version (©1984)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

New Living Translation (©2007)

For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

English Standard Version (©2001)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

International Standard Version (©2008)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, in their eagerness to get rich, have wandered away from the faith and caused themselves a lot of pain.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

Certainly, the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Some people who have set their hearts on getting rich have wandered away from the Christian faith and have caused themselves a lot of grief.

King James Bible

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

American King James Version

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

American Standard Version

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Bible in Basic English

For the love of money is a root of all evil: and some whose hearts were fixed on it have been turned away from the faith, and been wounded with unnumbered sorrows.

Douay-Rheims Bible

For the desire of money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith, and have entangled themselves in many sorrows.

Darby Bible Translation

For the love of money is the root of every evil; which some having aspired after, have wandered from the faith, and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

English Revised Version

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Webster's Bible Translation

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some have coveted, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Weymouth New Testament

For from love of money all sorts of evils arise; and some have so hankered after money as to be led astray from the faith and be pierced through with countless sorrows.

World English Bible

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some have been led astray from the faith in their greed, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Young's Literal Translation

for a root of all the evils is the love of money, which certain longing for did go astray from the faith, and themselves did pierce through with many sorrows;

1 Timothy 6:10 ill give you all the version i can.....

New International Version (©1984)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

New Living Translation (©2007)

For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

English Standard Version (©2001)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

International Standard Version (©2008)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, in their eagerness to get rich, have wandered away from the faith and caused themselves a lot of pain.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

Certainly, the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Some people who have set their hearts on getting rich have wandered away from the Christian faith and have caused themselves a lot of grief.

King James Bible

American King James Version

American Standard Version

Bible in Basic English

For the love of money is a root of all evil: and some whose hearts were fixed on it have been turned away from the faith, and been wounded with unnumbered sorrows.

Douay-Rheims Bible

For the desire of money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith, and have entangled themselves in many sorrows.

Darby Bible Translation

For the love of money is the root of every evil; which some having aspired after, have wandered from the faith, and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some have coveted, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Weymouth New Testament

For from love of money all sorts of evils arise; and some have so hankered after money as to be led astray from the faith and be pierced through with countless sorrows.

World English Bible

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some have been led astray from the faith in their greed, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Young's Literal Translation

for a root of all the evils is the love of money, which certain longing for did go astray from the faith, and themselves did pierce through with many sorrows;

Cool. I guess.

So how would you apply that to you to make you a better person? Or are you just Bible thumping? Either way, you felt compelled to put God's word out there, so that's a good thing.

The first thing that comes to mind is Naaman and the river Jordan. Money is nothing without your health. You still have to have faith to step through that door baby.

Thanx!