[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Osi is done with the Giants

matt770

Osi Umenyiora has two years left on his current contract totaling 7.1 million. He believes he should be paid like a top 5 DE and make around $10M/yr. The Giants have said they will not restructure his deal and gave him clearance to seek a trade. They don't have that kind of money to pay him even if they wanted to. Osi is 30 years old with a history of getting banged up, and Jason Pierre-Paul looked very promising at the end of last season, so it's not like Osi leaving would create a crisis, though they aren't going to give him away either. They want a first-rounder in return. Where it gets interesting is if Osi decides to be a good soldier throughout preseason to avoid getting fined but then refuses to play in games as he is supposedly threatening to do, it would seem that another team could lowball the Giants and try to get him much cheaper.

Question: would you like to see your favorite team give up a 1st round pick for Osi and pay him 10 million a season?

There's no way a team gives up both a first-rounder and gives him the contract he wants... That's too much for a guy whose skills could start to diminish on the wrong side of 30...

I think this is a big reason (aside from the fact they got him to bring his asking price down) that the Falcons went out and got Ray Edwards instead.

There's no way a team gives up both a first-rounder and gives him the contract he wants... That's too much for a guy whose skills could start to diminish on the wrong side of 30...

I think this is a big reason (aside from the fact they got him to bring his asking price down) that the Falcons went out and got Ray Edwards instead.

At the end of the day I think the Giants would take a later round pick and Osi would take a modest bump in pay, especially from an NFC team scheduled to play the Giants this season. I think the Giants would jump if a team offered a halfway decent LB for Osi at this point too.

Question: would you like to see your favorite team give up a 1st round pick for Osi and pay him 10 million a season?

No way. When the Hawks signed Patrick Kerney at the age of 30, one of my favorite Hawk blogs posted article documenting how DE's breakdown 30+ at a higher rate than RB's . Kerney followed suit with one really good season and then fell off the cliff.

Osi Umenyiora has two years left on his current contract totaling 7.1 million. He believes he should be paid like a top 5 DE and make around $10M/yr. The Giants have said they will not restructure his deal and gave him clearance to seek a trade. They don't have that kind of money to pay him even if they wanted to. Osi is 30 years old with a history of getting banged up, and Jason Pierre-Paul looked very promising at the end of last season, so it's not like Osi leaving would create a crisis, though they aren't going to give him away either. They want a first-rounder in return. Where it gets interesting is if Osi decides to be a good soldier throughout preseason to avoid getting fined but then refuses to play in games as he is supposedly threatening to do, it would seem that another team could lowball the Giants and try to get him much cheaper.

I wouldnt give a 2nd round pick for him, let alone pay him 10 mil a season.

I guess Osi doesn't remember the $34 million he already got on this deal the last 4 yrs. Gimme a forkin break , I am so tired of this crap. Making it sound like he is being lowballed at 3.5 mill the next 2 yrs.

That's a very good point. Looks like yet another idiot NFL player spending money as if he's got an unlimited supply, then suddenly realizes, whoops, I may actually have to retire at some point, and at this rate I'll be bankrupt shortly thereafter. Or it's all about his monster ego.

You know, in most places you can get an insanely nice house on a couple acres with lots of bells and whistles for $1-2 million. What does it cost to furnish such a place? Half a mil? Add a Benz, Caddy, Range Rover, hell, a Lamborghini, nice vacations every year...are we anywhere near even $10 million yet?? It boggles the mind how they squander that much dough.

I forgot illegitimate kids. :wacko:

That's a very good point. Looks like yet another idiot NFL player spending money as if he's got an unlimited supply, then suddenly realizes, whoops, I may actually have to retire at some point, and at this rate I'll be bankrupt shortly thereafter. Or it's all about his monster ego.

You know, in most places you can get an insanely nice house on a couple acres with lots of bells and whistles for $1-2 million. What does it cost to furnish such a place? Half a mil? Add a Benz, Caddy, Range Rover, hell, a Lamborghini, nice vacations every year...are we anywhere near even $10 million yet?? It boggles the mind how they squander that much dough.

I forgot illegitimate kids. :wacko:

In all fairness the $34M was not tax free. On top of that you take off the agents commission and any money he pays for personal management and you are probably talking more like $18-20M. Plus what are the annual taxes on that $1-2M house. But your point is still valid.

I wouldnt give a 2nd round pick for him, let alone pay him 10 mil a season.

This...

The Saints board is all over this one & the vast majority are saying [bFD]no f'n way.[/bFD] At least not for what he's asking plus a 1st.

Edited by rajncajn