[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

soup, tim, kid.............

Bier Meister

what tires are you guys using?

i am looking at:

dunlop dirreza sport z1 star spec

michelin pilot super sport

continental extreme contact dw

bridgestone potenza re760

pirelli pzero rosso

thoughts or experience?

What kind of vehicle & what size? I know a bit about tires & would be happy to give you my insight. Heck, I can probably get you a discount on Bridgestone tires...if you're interested.

Edited by buddahj

I had Pirelli P-Zeros on my RX-7 (RWD) and my wife's Volvo (AWD). Awesome performance tyre, sticky as hell. The were superb on dry pavement, ok on wet roads, and useless in the snow. Once we moved to Houston, they were perfect. The only con is you'll be lucky to get 20-25k miles out of them. I have not driven on any of the others.

Of what you listed I'd go with Pirelli or Michelin. I've never gotten good wear from Dunlops on cars or motorcycles (they're the standard tire on most Harley D's and Honda cruisers). The only experience I've had w/Bridgestone was Battle Axe's on my 919 but you couldn't ask for a better tire on a sporty motorcycle.

What kind of vehicle & what size? I know a bit about tires & would be happy to give you my insight. Heck, I can probably get you a discount on Bridgestone tires...if you're interested.

:wacko: What do you recommend for a 2004 Toyota Corolla S?

I had Pirelli P-Zeros on my RX-7 (RWD) and my wife's Volvo (AWD). Awesome performance tyre, sticky as hell. The were superb on dry pavement, ok on wet roads, and useless in the snow. Once we moved to Houston, they were perfect. The only con is you'll be lucky to get 20-25k miles out of them. I have not driven on any of the others.

my wife had bad luck with pirelli's on her audi, but i would give them a chance if i could get more than 25k from them. good traction on wet surfaces is a must for me in sf.

I have the PSS on an 05 M3. Did great in the wet. In the snow... I drive my wife's Tahoe. Since we left WA for TX, I don't have to worry about it anymore.

they are best rated from the bunch. how did they corner? how was your tread life (at what point did they go from fun new tires to meh and what was the life on them)?

Of what you listed I'd go with Pirelli or Michelin. I've never gotten good wear from Dunlops on cars or motorcycles (they're the standard tire on most Harley D's and Honda cruisers). The only experience I've had w/Bridgestone was Battle Axe's on my 919 but you couldn't ask for a better tire on a sporty motorcycle.

the mich are highest on my list. my first bmw had dunlops all season as the stock tire. the ride was ok. i sold the car with 36k on it and hadn't changed tires.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

they don't fit my car...

buddahj...i'll look into what you sent me in the morning.

thanks guys

It just depends on what type of tire you want. If it was my car, I'd put on either the Bridgestone Turanza w/Serenity, the Firestone FR710, or the Bridgestone Insignia SE 200. I have the SE200s on my Civic & they do a good job on wet or dry roads.

Seriously? I was gonna recommend something in the line of -150bls...Red in color..a machine that likes to drive on curves and something that gets good mileage....

Oh and a body style that pleases the eye wouldn't hurt.........

Seriously? I was gonna recommend something in the line of -150bls...Red in color..a machine that likes to drive on curves and something that gets good mileage....

Oh and a body style that pleases the eye wouldn't hurt.........

enjoy the hangover... :wacko:

they are best rated from the bunch. how did they corner? how was your tread life (at what point did they go from fun new tires to meh and what was the life on them)?

They corner and handle great, the only times they have ever broken loose, I had the DSC off, the sport on, and I was trying to do it. They've been on since spring of 08 and are still looking and feeling good.

I have the big boy tires, Michelin Pilot Sports PS2. One of the things I really like about them is that they have a lip that extends beyond the wheel about 1/2" to help keep the wheel from getting curb rash. Not that I have ever curbed that car but the wife does drive it. :wacko:

These tires are flat out amazing but you'd better be prepared for the fact that they are not known for hanging around long. 15 to 20k miles is about all you can expect.

Here is a post from Luke at Tire Rack giving a nice breakdown of performance tires:

We have broken down tires into several categories and here is a short list of what I have experienced in our testing. Now remember, we do not have every single tire line in the world so, if your particular favorite is not in this list it is probably because we haven't tested it.

Extreme Performance:

You want extreme dry street performance and are willing to trade some comfort and hydroplaning resistance to get it.

Not intended to be driven in snow or on ice, or at high speeds in deep standing water, these specially tuned tires combine big-block tread designs with aggressive tread compounds and reinforced internal constructions to emphasize dry road response, traction, handling and high speed capabilities for serious driving enthusiasts.

These are all fantastic to push to the limits but, they also have their own set of compromises mostly related to ride quality, road noise and wet traction. 3

1.) Advan Neova AD08 (Super Glue sticky)

2.) Bridgestone Potenza RE11 (all around great tire)

3.) Hankook RS3 (the new entry and might move up)

4.) Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (bigger footprint than most and also noisier)

5.) Kumho Excsta XS(stupid fast and scary in the wet)

Maximum Performance:

These are great performing tires which offer great steering response and wet/dry traction (not for use in the snow!!!).

1.) Pilot Super Sport (the new Big Dawg)

2.) Potenza S-04 Pole Position (new entry that will make some waves)

3.) Eagle F1 Asymmetric

4.) Pilot Sport PS2

5.) Extreme Contact DW

5.) Hankook Ventus V12 EVO (the bang for the buck winner in this group)

6.) Advan Sport (getting pretty long in the tooth)

Ultra High Performance:

A step down from the Max tires but, still exceptional performance which fits most application for a street tire that can be driven very aggressively.

1.) Potenza RE760 Sport

2.) Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

3.) Pilot Exalto PE2

4.) Kumho Ecsta LE Sport

5.) G-Force KDW2

Ultra High Performance All Season:

Performance tires which are capable of going through the snow.

1.) P-Zero Nero AS

2.) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

3.) Continental Extreme Contact DWS

4.) Potenza RE970 Pole Position

5.) Eagle GT

Budget Performance Tires:

Summer performance with a cost effective tire when your budget is a concern and some tires which are very cost effective are also listed in other classes . (based on performance not cost)

1.) Sumitomo HTR Z III

2.) Kumho Ecsta SPT

3.) Yokohama S-Drive

4.) Dunlop Direzza DZ101

5.) Fuzion ZRi

6.) Sumitomo HTR Z II