[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kerry Collins signs with INDY

keggerz

You mean Sorgi and Painter weren't good backups? Impossible; Polian is a genius!

Colt fans have scratched their heads about this one for Manning's entire career. It's not exactly a secret that to a large extent he IS the team, so I can kind of see saying "why does it matter, we're screwed without Manning." But it's not all about needing a backup an entire year or really long time; then I agree that then it won't matter much who the backup is given the lack of a good enough team around him. But they could be having an off year and fighting for the playoffs and needing someone to just eke out a win or 2 down the stretch, or come in to a game (maybe even a playoff game) if he's nicked up etc. So I totally disagree that backup QB is one the last things they should care about. They just got complacent and relied on his good health, which is like playing Russian roullette regarding an NFL QB, even Manning.

As for Collins - yikes. He's better than Painter but frankly not sure about better than Olsavsky, who I would still very much keep around. Collins' biggest thing is he can heave the deep ball to keep Ds honest, which the Colts of course need, but with how much accuracy?

For 12 years, those who said the Colts needed a good #2 QB have been dead wrong, as he's taken every single meaningful snap. The Colts have had to spend NO MONEY on backing him up for over a decade. Congrats for finally being right! Once every 12 years is about right for you!

:wacko:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of a sudden I'm getting the feeling this is one big head-fake. No particular reason, just my spider sense tingling.

You might be right. I still believe Manning will play week one. He is throwing the football again, according to Mortenson. Collins might just be insurance, because God knows Painter is awful.

Edited by CaptainHook

For 12 years, those who said the Colts needed a good #2 QB have been dead wrong, as he's taken every single meaningful snap. The Colts have had to spend NO MONEY on backing him up for over a decade. Congrats for finally being right! Once every 12 years is about right for you!

:tup:

As a devils advocate though . . . . the Packers always has a solid backup to Favre, and did very well trading those late round developmnetal QBs for higher draft picks at a later date . . . a case could be made for both situations. :wacko: The Patriots have done well with this too. Matt Cassell, and now Ryan mallett . . .

As a devils advocate though . . . . the Packers always has a solid backup to Favre, and did very well trading those late round developmnetal QBs for higher draft picks at a later date . . . a case could be made for both situations. :wacko: The Patriots have done well with this too. Matt Cassell, and now Ryan mallett . . .

The Colts have drafted QB's. Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter. At least they played college football, unlike Cassell. :tup:

But I see your point.

They should have signed Vick when they had the chance.

you have said some stupid stuff before, but this one might take the cake. Vick couldn't run that offense if they gave him 2 yrs. to study the playbook.

Hey dipSHAM WOW!, I said the neck injury can't be career threatening, or they wouldn't have signed him to a 5 year $90 million deal.

I said that until they sign a veteran back-up, I am confident Manning will be ready for Week 1.

Do you see the difference? Or do I have to explain it again?

Since you keep changing your story and what you said, maybe you should keep explaining it, at least until it becomes the same story. FYI you said "If there is legitimate concern about Peyton's neck, you don't sign the guy to a 5 year $90 million contract." You said nothing about "career ending."

I then explained why what you actually said was wrong. Instead of simply disagreeing and providing any response resembling even the mildest of intelligence, your response was little smileys and snotty remarks, which is like screaming "hi I am a dipshamwow" (which sounds so stupid it is ironically just as appropriate as the actual term that filter applies to).

You also gave us this brilliant gem: "I would love to see Favre join the Colts." Yeah that's a great idea.

But hey, you keep grabbing those bigger shovels - at this rate you'll hit China any minute :wacko:

tee hee, giggle :wacko:

I'm not surprised you're so good at hindsight, given what an ass you are.

Read the context dumbo. In the other thread, there was a question about his ability to rebound from this injury. That's when I commented on the new contract. Besides, does it make any sense the other way? "We're not gonna sign Peyton to a new deal because his neck might not be ready to start the season in 2011?" :wacko: You're an idiot. :lol:

Check it out dumba$$. I even quote BB who says that it might be a career-threatening neck problem. That's the first time I mention the new contract.

Reading comprehension. Try it.

And FWIW, I would much rather see Favre under center for the Colts that Kerry Collins, Marc Bulger, or any of the other stiffs whose names were being brought up if Manning were to miss some time.

Edited by CaptainHook

Kerry Collins at his best, familiar with a system and in sync with his recievers, young, and healthy, was pedestrian. He is now old, worn out, and unfamiliar with the players and the system. Yes he has some connections to the coach and GM, but those are things one only looks to highlight when there are no real positives.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Kerry Collins at his best, familiar with a system and in sync with his recievers, young, and healthy, was pedestrian. He is now old, worn out, and unfaniliar with the players and the system. Yes he has some connections to the coach and GM, but those are things one only looks to highlight when there are no real positives.

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree that Collins was never anything better than "pedestrian". The guy is 11th all-time in passing yards & 29th in TD's. He had a very solid NFL career. I also think that he will do a quick job of picking up the Colts offense. Don't get me wrong, he isn't going to put up numbers in Manning's league, but, I think he could be a good short-term solution.

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree that Collins was never anything better than "pedestrian". The guy is 11th all-time in passing yards & 29th in TD's. He had a very solid NFL career. I also think that he will do a quick job of picking up the Colts offense. Don't get me wrong, he isn't going to put up numbers in Manning's league, but, I think he could be a good short-term solution.

His numbers are reflective of the era in which he played and his longevity, IMO..

Read the context dumbo. In the other thread, there was a question about his ability to rebound from this injury. That's when I commented on the new contract. Besides, does it make any sense the other way? "We're not gonna sign Peyton to a new deal because his neck might not be ready to start the season in 2011?"
My point (which I thought was pretty obvious and I probably shouldn't bother to restate since it's clearly beyond your meager comprehension, but wth) was that even if there was a chance of this injury being severe, even to the point of being career ending, yes, you sign him anyway and take your chances, because basically he IS the team. Many QBs might not be worth the risk (pending the specifics of the injury), but he is. Easily. And unlike you, Colts mgt is smart enough to know that, so signing him was a no-brainer and didn't really tell us much if anything about how serious his injury is.

But I'm still going too fast for you aren't I....

Reading comprehension. Try it.
This is quite a display of the pot/kettle thing. Props.

And FWIW, I would much rather see Favre under center for the Colts that Kerry Collins, Marc Bulger, or any of the other stiffs whose names were being brought up if Manning were to miss some time.
Yeah, because he's so much better than the others, plus has no potential to turn the Colts' camp into a circus. This isn't Cincy FYI. Oh yeah I forgot how he tore it up last year and has improved with age, no doubt.

I can't wait for more "dumbo"/"idiot" replies with your cute little smiley faces.

Keep digging!

Kerry Collins at his best, familiar with a system and in sync with his recievers, young, and healthy, was pedestrian. He is now old, worn out, and unfaniliar with the players and the system. Yes he has some connections to the coach and GM, but those are things one only looks to highlight when there are no real positives.

I thought he did fairly well w/the Gints, but yeah he's had an erratic career for sure. The signing doesn't thrill me, nor do I hate it. I think he can take probably at least care of the ball better than anyone else out there, and I think still has the arm to sling it downfield and (hopefully) keep Ds somewhat honest. But in the end a guy like Orlovsky may be as good or even better, given a chance. He put up similar numbers to Collins (generally) in his only real action in DET, and that was DET for crying out loud. Plus he's younger and more mobile than Collins.

PS yeah saying "he had the most ( ) ever" means less and less as time goes on, to the point where IMO it scarcely merits a yawn anymore. More games played, the game far more offense friendly now, etc.

His numbers are reflective of the era in which he played and his longevity, IMO..

Pedestrian QB's don't have longevity as starting QB's. I think Collins career is generally under-rated among the masses.

Pedestrian QB's don't have longevity as starting QB's. I think Collins career is generally under-rated among the masses.

This. Like Jeff Garcia, dude just kept hanging on (though longer, actually) and putting up solid numbers. He took a team to the NFC Championship when he was young. Took another team to the SB later on, and was at the helm when Tennessee had some nice seasons. Did he put any of those teams on his back? Certainly not. But the QB is the QB.

Agree that Collins is better than average, certainly better than what they have.

I see both sides of what the Colts have been doing: they clearly have always devoted money everywhere else besides the backup QB position, and that's been successful for them. But most teams with a legit franchise quarterback do something to protect him with a "competent" backup. And teams that don't have paid the price.

But Manning has been remarkable in so many ways and his durability, coupled with the fact that his offensive line has been always spectacular, is his biggest strength. Now I don't think because of that the team should have neglected the backup position. But I think teams that continually develop quarterback talent are usually very successful teams in the long run.

I remember going to school in Indiana and speaking to many of my friends who are Colts fans. Some of this has been said already here: they simply believed that if Manning went down, well, who gives a sh*t, they will suck no matter what. While this is true, that doesn't mean you can't cover your bases.

My point (which I thought was pretty obvious and I probably shouldn't bother to restate since it's clearly beyond your meager comprehension, but wth) was that even if there was a chance of this injury being severe, even to the point of being career ending, yes, you sign him anyway and take your chances, because basically he IS the team. Many QBs might not be worth the risk (pending the specifics of the injury), but he is.

Do you know that all players take physicals before the team signs them to a contract? Yeah, I'm sure if the Colts doctors had examined him and found that there were major issues with his neck, the Colts would have been like, "oh well, we gotta pay him top dollar for the next five years. . . " :wacko::tup:

It clearly was not an issue, which is why i brought up the contract in the first place. I thought it was crazy to even mention it being a career-threatening injury.

Manning is throwing the football again. He will play again, and play well. The question is, how soon?

And unlike you, Colts mgt is smart enough to know that, so signing him was a no-brainer and didn't really tell us much if anything about how serious his injury is.

This actually made me laugh out loud. You call yourself a "Colts Fan" but take every opportunity to bash Polian you can on these boards. But when it suits you now, they are "smart". :lol:

Get your story straight. You know less about the Colts than any "fan" I've ever talked with.

Edited by CaptainHook

Agree that Collins is better than average, certainly better than what they have.

I see both sides of what the Colts have been doing: they clearly have always devoted money everywhere else besides the backup QB position, and that's been successful for them. But most teams with a legit franchise quarterback do something to protect him with a "competent" backup. And teams that don't have paid the price.

But Manning has been remarkable in so many ways and his durability, coupled with the fact that his offensive line has been always spectacular, is his biggest strength. Now I don't think because of that the team should have neglected the backup position. But I think teams that continually develop quarterback talent are usually very successful teams in the long run.

I remember going to school in Indiana and speaking to many of my friends who are Colts fans. Some of this has been said already here: they simply believed that if Manning went down, well, who gives a sh*t, they will suck no matter what. While this is true, that doesn't mean you can't cover your bases.

While I understand what you are saying, the Colts HAVE tried to address their QB situation in the past. But no veteran QB ever wants to come here, because they'll never play, and Manning takes almost all the practice snaps. The last vet QB to back-up Manning was Mark Rypien.

Everybody is talking about how the Patriots have drafted QB's. They drafted Matt Cassel! Yeah, in the SEVENTH round. The Colts drafted Jim Sorgi in the sixth round in 2004 and Curtis Painter in the sixth round of the 2009 draft. They also brought in Nate Davis from Ball State who was a fifth round pick in 2009. They just haven't panned out like Cassel did.

The Patriots did address QB in this year's draft, but they also had a plethora of picks, which would make doing that easier. Some Pats fans wondered why they did it, instead of taking and edge rusher, which they desperately needed.

I think the Colts will have to address the back-up QB spot over the last 5 years of Manning's career. Collins this year. Perhaps they will draft someone next year.

Edited by CaptainHook