[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

classy

Azazello1313

No $50K prize for 11-year-old who made 89-foot hockey shot

Earlier this month at a charity hockey event in Faribault, Minn., 11-year-old Nate Smith made an 89-foot shot from center ice to win $50,000.

The problem was that Nate's twin brother, Nick, was the one who purchased the winning raffle ticket. When the time came to attempt the shot, Nick was outside of the arena unaware he had won, so in stepped Nate to score the miraculous goal.

After the boys' father, Pat, came forward the next day and admitted to event organizers about the twins' switch, Odds on Promotions, the company that insured the event, held up awarding the prize money.

On Wednesday, the company decided against giving Nate the $50,000 and instead announced it will donate $20,000 to youth hockey in Minnesota in the boys' names. Odds On Promotions' reasoning was that the switch breached the contract.

Odds on Promotion president Mark Gilmartin said in a statement:

"We greatly respect the eventual honesty of the Smith family. [...] Although we're unable to the pay the claim on Nate's incredible shot, we are confident our donation will help foster a positive environment for present and future youth hockey in Minnesota."

Pat Smith told the Associated Press that while the boys are disappointed about losing out on the money -- which they had said they'd put towards college -- they're happy that youth hockey in Minnesota will benefit. And due to their honesty the boys earned scholarships to the Shattuck-St. Mary's hockey school's summer camp.

:wacko:

We respect your integrity so much we are telling you to go fu(k yourself as we pocket an extra $30k.

yeah. I'd respect them more if they just said, nope, you cheated, sorry. or if they even told what is probably the truth, that they don't actually have 50 Gs laying around, they just bought an insurance policy against anyone actually hitting the hole and the insurance won't pay out here (always a good idea to make the insurance company the villain). but this whole "we'll give 20 Gs to charity" just seems like a wormy half-measure to me.

Family should have kept quiet. Way to go, dad, you just screwed your family out of a free $50K.

Yep, though if they didn't need the money terribly bad, I can see the dad doing this to teach the kids the value of honesty (though actually I'm not as sure. Seems like it's almost backfired and showed them a harsh reality of the world, that being a nice guy and doing the right thing can screw you).

Rules are rules, so I can't blame them too much for deciding to void the prize, but they absolutely should have donated the same $50,000 sum to charity, rather than half-assing it and pocketing 30 grand that they only saved because of an overly-honest schmuck... Pretty scummy if you ask me, when they had a good opportunity to do the right thing and give all the money they owed to this kid to people more in need.

Yep, though if they didn't need the money terribly bad, I can see the dad doing this to teach the kids the value of honesty (though actually I'm not as sure. Seems like it's almost backfired and showed them a harsh reality of the world, that being a nice guy and doing the right thing can screw you).

Rules are rules, so I can't blame them too much for deciding to void the prize, but they absolutely should have donated the same $50,000 sum to charity, rather than half-assing it and pocketing 30 grand that they only saved because of an overly-honest schmuck... Pretty scummy if you ask me, when they had a good opportunity to do the right thing and give all the money they owed to this kid to people more in need.

they didnt need 50k?

I woulda took it and hired someone like chuck zito to teach my kids a valuable lesson and put the rest towards something

they didnt need 50k?

I woulda took it and hired someone like chuck zito to teach my kids a valuable lesson and put the rest towards something

You got me... I'm a twin myself (and we actually pulled the ol' bait and switch one time at a bar, and changed shirts when he was the only one with a fake id. I slammed 2 shots and a beer and then we switched back)...

I'd absolutely keep quiet about it, put it in their college fund, and like you said, figure out another way to teach them that's not really an ethical thing to do...

Edited by delusions of granduer