[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone ever take an Alaskan Cruise?

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Usually have a small family reunion sometime in May-Jun every year. Usually it's Vegas, but we are thinking Alaska Cruise next year (Kinda Psyched about this plan).

Anyone every take one of these? Looking for suggestions on

1. Cruise Line

2. Excursions

3. Type of Room

4. Best time to go

Gotta eat din-din right now, but what a great trip! We want to repeat it! :wacko:

Questions back:

How many days?

Round trip or one way?

Side trips where you get off the boat and stay(for a few days) or continued trip?

Call me if you want. Phone# on HOT.

More later...

Edited by rocknrobn26

Usually have a small family reunion sometime in May-Jun every year. Usually it's Vegas, but we are thinking Alaska Cruise next year (Kinda Psyched about this plan).

Anyone every take one of these? Looking for suggestions on

1. Cruise Line (Princess-Sun Princess Ship)

2. Excursions Many! Gotta do the train ride into Canada)

3. Type of Room I would never take a cruise w/o a balcony!

4. Best time to go Not sure, but we from 7/30-8/6/2006. It was kinda cold and rainy, but I don't think there is a time when you can guarantee weather up there. :wacko:

We stayed overnight in Seattle and met up w/ Sky and DGF. A great time!

Hope you have a good camera as we took 650+ photos and most were keepers. Photo ops everywhere. Did I mention I almost fell off the boat when we were whale watching? Wife got pissed over that, but I didn't tell her for over a week after we got back! :tup:

Check your PM's.

Does working a halibut boat count?

Probably about as much as my "cruise" aboard the USS Salisbury Sound AV-13 in 1965. :wacko:

We did hit Juneau, Anchorage, and Kodiak. Good times had in all three.

I think rockn' probably as more up-to-date info though. :tup:

Edited by skylive5

I have heard those Alaskan cruises are the best...never been on one, or ever been on a cruise, but I have been told they are wonderful...beautiful scenery, wildlife sightings, I would love to go one day:) Hope yall have a great time!!!

How many days?

Looking at the 7 day. If I can convince everyone I would do the 10 day

Round trip or one way? Round Trip

Side trips where you get off the boat and stay(for a few days) or continued trip? Continous

I'll give you a buzz tomorrow...

Thanks

This is looking like a HOT League meeting. What's up all you old farts?

In Alaska my body fat would keep me warm. In the Caribbean I might get harpooned on the beach. :wacko:

Edited by Chargerz

So we did seven days. Early June weather can be cool and rainy, on the ship especially. Light jacket with some water proof qualities is good.

My absolute favorite excursion, (the little side trips you can book) was the Taku Glacier Flight and Feast. It seemed small and not at all touristy. Board a ten passenger seaplane, fly over some rugged terrain and circle the glacier where it meets the river. Land on the river, walk through the woods, with a real possibility for bears. Then back to the cabin for a fresh salmon cookout.

Be prepared to throw a hand-up if the pilot asks who wants the co-pilot seat.

You can and I believe should book some excursions ahead of time, they fill up. They can get pricey and you'll want to do them with some friends or other couples so talk to them as you book ones others can afford.

We were on a smaller ship 1,500 passengers maybe but early June it didn't ever feel crowded.

Another thing to look into, my wife and I were seated randomly with some folks from Tasmania. It must be like hillbilly Australia because we couldn't understand a word they were saying. You normally eat with the same people every night. Luckily it worked out that we ate alone at a table for 8 the rest of the week. Unless you like to meet new people. But likely you want to eat as a group.

One of my favorite things, was walking around the deck at sea in the rain scanning the ocean for ships and critters. I was all alone on a ship of 2000 people. Just really cool.

Sea sickness: We were told it was a really rough trip to the inner coastal, but yes I was queasy for a half day. The smaller the ship the more you feel it. It gets better quickly. But it was there and I don't get that way.

Food is free and endless. Drinks are not in our case. Don't think you'll smuggle on a stash either. They don't screw around.

The staff was amazing and the waiters, who you'll also have all week are amazing too.

Research those excursions. You can book them privately but the cruise line won't necessarily abide by their schedule. The companies the work with ships will.

Early in the season you get a different set of natures wonders. You'll get glacier waterfalls from the spring thaw, but maybe not bears so much. We were there for the summer solstice. 10-11pm and still light out, really cool.

I mean it's just great start to finish and the excursions, if you pick diversely and wisely, will be great memories.

Oh yeah, get or have your passport.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

I've done a few in the Caribbean and Mexican Rivera, but never Alaska. So the only thing I can second is RR's suggestion of Princess cruise line. It's not worth paying tons extra for, but if everything else is the same (or close) I'd prefer them. Oh, and I don't know if I can cruise again without a balcony. Watching the ocean outside your room and drinking wine is pretty awesome. Cruise critic forums (just google it) is an insane amount of info on all ships, itineraries, and excursions.

Probably about as much as my "cruise" aboard the USS Salisbury Sound AV-13 in 1965. :wacko:

We did hit Juneau, Anchorage, and Kodiak. Good times had in all three.

I think rockn' probably as more up-to-date info though. :tup:

I think the "having to join the Navy" part of your cruise is a deal-breaker.