[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Performance chips for cars

Hugh 0ne

Just ordered my H&S Mini Maxx (up to 150 hp though I'll probably keep it on the +50hp setting unless I"m feeling chippy), and an AFE Stage 2 intake (an additional 26 hp). Add that to the stock 400 hp the 6.7 gets, and you get 576 hp. I'm also getting rid of the DPF and DEF, and will run some new pipes. I haven't decided on which pipes to run. I'll probably make that decision tomorrow. The H&S Mini Maxx has several automatic safety backdowns, adjustable by EGT, boost, trans. temp, and coolant temp. So even If I decide to be stupid, it won't let me. I'll probably have it all installed by the end of the week. I'll let you know what kind of jump I get in fuel economy.

Wurd

Just ordered my H&S Mini Maxx (up to 150 hp though I'll probably keep it on the +50hp setting unless I"m feeling chippy), and an AFE Stage 2 intake (an additional 26 hp). Add that to the stock 400 hp the 6.7 gets, and you get 576 hp. I'm also getting rid of the DPF and DEF, and will run some new pipes. I haven't decided on which pipes to run. I'll probably make that decision tomorrow. The H&S Mini Maxx has several automatic safety backdowns, adjustable by EGT, boost, trans. temp, and coolant temp. So even If I decide to be stupid, it won't let me. I'll probably have it all installed by the end of the week. I'll let you know what kind of jump I get in fuel economy.

you have the 250 right? is it gas or diesel?

This is what I don't understand about this "chip"

If it really does increase your gas mileage, then why don't the engineers of these companies who spend millions of dollars on R&D just put it in? To me there has to be a negative, wether it's life of the car, cost or something. I doubt it's cost because higher MPG + higher HP = higher sales in todays market.

I'm not a mechanic by any means but my old mechanic once said to me that you are going to put a $200 part in your car and somehow outperform the engineers at these companies without consequence? He told me think about that.

I can't believe these car companies, both American and foreign, will neglect something so simple.

Mostly it is longevity on a turbo vehicle as it is likely increasing the boost. Now does that mean you can only get 300k instead of 500k out of it, who knows. Keep in mind that most of these chips are used when the intake or exhaust is opened up to breath better, then you have different parameters than the factory engineers work with and those cost more money. Most manufacturers operate to a budget/price point then performance standards slightly higher than the competition, therefore cost per unit needs to be competitive.

This is what I don't understand about this "chip"

If it really does increase your gas mileage, then why don't the engineers of these companies who spend millions of dollars on R&D just put it in? To me there has to be a negative, wether it's life of the car, cost or something. I doubt it's cost because higher MPG + higher HP = higher sales in todays market.

I'm not a mechanic by any means but my old mechanic once said to me that you are going to put a $200 part in your car and somehow outperform the engineers at these companies without consequence? He told me think about that.

I can't believe these car companies, both American and foreign, will neglect something so simple.

As stated previously, to get the most out of the chip and make it worthwhile, you have to increase airflow, both in and out. Which makes it more expensive than just the "chip". In addition to the cost, some states not to mention the federal government have some restrictions as to what you can do with exhaust on a highway approved vehicle. Mine when finished will not technically be street legal in many states due to the exhaust I'm running. Some people in more restrictive states might find and inspector that will over look their exhaust, or the may have to change it out once a year to pass inspection. They do make aftermarket exhaust that will pass inspection that is better than the factory, but not as free flowing as what I"m going to put on my truck. I'll also be re-gearing my truck when I lift it and put larger tires on it. I could probably get away with the current gearing if I didn't "chip" it, or didn't put on 37" tires. Doing both I'll need to go the expense of re-gearing. Also it wasn't until recently that the "chips" had safety measures that pull back the "tune" when certain parameters were exceeded to protect the vehicle.

ETA: A good programmer, intake, and exhaust are going to run you anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000, and you can spend quite a bit more than that if you really want to go nuts. You can also get a cheaper programmer without all the built in safety features for a about $700-$800.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Mostly it is longevity on a turbo vehicle as it is likely increasing the boost. Now does that mean you can only get 300k instead of 500k out of it, who knows. Keep in mind that most of these chips are used when the intake or exhaust is opened up to breath better, then you have different parameters than the factory engineers work with and those cost more money. Most manufacturers operate to a budget/price point then performance standards slightly higher than the competition, therefore cost per unit needs to be competitive.

The newer chips allow you to set "safety" parameters on the boost, EGT, transmission temp, and coolant temp, where it will start pulling back the tune to protect the vehicle. The biggest problem you have is with programmers that don't have these, and you have some idiot trying to haul a 12,000# trailer in race mode. If you are told when you get one, what to watch out for, and stay with in those parameters you should be ok, with very little additional wear. If you aren't told, or ignore the warnings then you can tear crap up. Also you have to look at what else you are doing with the vehicle. What other modifications are being made, and what they may require, such as regearing, and how you are using it. I think my truck comes with a factory governor of either 95 or 98 mph. With certain programmers you can remove that governor, and keep going until you blow something up. Almost every instance I've heard of with people having problems with chips, tuners, programmers, or whatever you want to call them is when someone does something stupid. If you are just looking for the extra mpg and drive like a sane person you will be fine. If you drive like you are in the Indy 500 pulling a big heavy trailer then you are either stupid or weren't warned against it. The vehicle manufacturers know that most people are stupid, so they limit what your vehicle can do. In doing so they also decrease the mpg.

i have a buddy running similar gear in his 6.7 and getting 19 mpg - while pulling a 10,000 lb trailer.

The newer chips allow you to set "safety" parameters on the boost, EGT, transmission temp, and coolant temp, where it will start pulling back the tune to protect the vehicle. The biggest problem you have is with programmers that don't have these, and you have some idiot trying to haul a 12,000# trailer in race mode. If you are told when you get one, what to watch out for, and stay with in those parameters you should be ok, with very little additional wear. If you aren't told, or ignore the warnings then you can tear crap up. Also you have to look at what else you are doing with the vehicle. What other modifications are being made, and what they may require, such as regearing, and how you are using it. I think my truck comes with a factory governor of either 95 or 98 mph. With certain programmers you can remove that governor, and keep going until you blow something up. Almost every instance I've heard of with people having problems with chips, tuners, programmers, or whatever you want to call them is when someone does something stupid. If you are just looking for the extra mpg and drive like a sane person you will be fine. If you drive like you are in the Indy 500 pulling a big heavy trailer then you are either stupid or weren't warned against it. The vehicle manufacturers know that most people are stupid, so they limit what your vehicle can do. In doing so they also decrease the mpg.

Agree :wacko:

I :heart: the huddle. Great info guys, thanks.

My car isn't quite 2 years old yet and still under warranty so I'll wait until I'm out of warranty to install one.

Thanks again. :wacko:

I'd suggest having your ECU retuned, that is what I did with mine. I think there is a reputable group up in your area that could do that. Depending on what you are driving, you can get some serious increases in power, but not so much in gas mileage. I've had solid increases in power across the bad with no appreciable decline in gas mileage, which I consider a win. However, my foot seems to be planted in to the carpet much more often...

I've had mixed success and failure with mine as I put one on my xTerra to better handle towing a boat...the thing worked better than I expected as it just ships the boat to the lake before I even leave my house. Unfortunately though I can't find the lake... :wacko:

north by north east!

north by north east!

Reminds me of the time I left you and Billy back at the Juicy Lucy burger joint and started driving southeast on the northwest freeway...took the ramp onto the southwest freeway and headed east for awhile until I took another ramp onto the north freeway and ended up back where I left you guys. Talk about a f'd up highway system...

Reminds me of the time I left you and Billy back at the Juicy Lucy burger joint and started driving southeast on the northwest freeway...took the ramp onto the southwest freeway and headed east for awhile until I took another ramp onto the north freeway and ended up back where I left you guys. Talk about a f'd up highway system...

:wacko: that is Minnesota for yah ....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting 2.4 mpg more with the programmer. I'm also able to boil the tires all the way trough first, second, and chirp 3rd with a truck that weighs over 8,000 lbs. The power is crazy, though I've only really opened it up twice.

Another item those of you with diesel trucks might consider for additional mileage is an Air Dog Diesel Fuel System. It will increase your mileage and reduce injector wear. Unfortunately they don't have one for the 6.7 Powerstroke. When it comes out for my truck, I'll be putting one on.