[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holy moly!

Seahawks21

I posted a few weeks ago about how I'm starting to teach myself computer programming. My learning is going a little slowly, and if I could afford it, I still think I would have better job opportunities in the future if I did it the conventional route and got a bachelor's degree. So I started looking at schools. Both online schools and more traditional universities.

The first one I checked was U of W. Ends up coming out to about $12,500/year.

So I thought I would checkout City University, which is a smaller college where lots of adults go in the evenings. $15,000 per year.

I checked a different online college. $20,000 per year, and I don't even know how much the online degree will do for me.

I did find one for $10,000 per year, but there are only two terms a year, so it would take me longer to finish, and the cost would end up being about equal to City U.

When I was at UW about ten years ago it was roughly $4,500/year. This rise is far beyond inflation rates. How do people get out from under that debt? With this economy, I'm barely making it by, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I can probably save a few thousand dollars a year,but $12-$20,000? Needless to say, I will jump back on my computer this evening and resume teaching myself.

Edited by Seahawks21

go to a community college to get your basic stuff out of the way. then transfer to state school.

there often is funding available, check into scholarships, etc. from the schools you are thinking about attending.

do NOT go to a private, for-profit college

I'm not saying this to be a d*ck or anything but to simply point out how grateful I am. I am very lucky in that my company offers us 8k a year - no questions asked for tuition reimbursement. We sign no agreements that we will work X amount of years for this nor do they limit us on what we can use it for. Granted 8k doesn't go very far - more so after your undergraduate degree but it is still a lot of free money for an education. I take advantage of this and I stress all the time with my staff that they need to as well.

College is $$.

Edited by cliaz

So does the rest of the military. Blowing crap up not involved with most jobs, actually. You can joke and Lord knows it's flawed in umpteen ways but people could do a lot worse than joining the military. Not everyone goes to the front lines FYI, even nowdays.

Comm college is also a good idea for those early/basic courses but I would check with wherever you plan to transfer to and ask about how well those courses will transfer over.

Edited by BeeR

God bless going to college a long time ago. Penn St cost about 2k/yr in tuition in the 80s. Well 3K if you count the beer. :wacko:

Got my first degree from a small private college (Drury College in Sprigfield, MO). First year costs were $23 a credit hour. I count my lucky stars.

Edited by The Holy Roller

The MARINES give you cool clothes to wear, free health-care, the opportunity to travel, and blow crap up, 30 days paid vacation a year, AND pay for you to go to college!

Just trying to help.

They give you "free" dental, too. Although none of it is actually free as taxpayers pay for it; not that I'm complaining, since those who are in the military earn it. I usually chose to skip the dental and went for better private dental services. The healthcare is OK, but I prefer choosing my own doctor... But I do miss the perception of free healthcare. And in the Marines they were always very good about giving us yearly shots to keep us healthy. Speaking of which, I'm probably still immune to anthrax after all those shots they gave us to build up defenses against it. :wacko:

The college benefits were by far the best. Here is WA, since I'm a war veteran, the University of Washington had a program that cut the cost of my tuition by about 50 percent. The UW loves veterans. Even though it's a very liberal college, I still felt like they did everything they could to take care of us in the military. For a full load of courses, from 12-15 credits per term, it cost me about $1,200 to $1,500. I graduated in 2009. :tup:

Edited by TheGrunt